Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Default Am I in "starvation mode?"

I've been struggling with my weight for the past two years. At 5'4 and 194 lbs, I NEED to lose weight. I started to research a bit, and I read about starvation mode. Am I in it?

To give some details, I walk briskly for about an hour a day, and workout (weights/jogging) a couple days a week for at least an hour. I also ride my horse once a week(mostly trotting) for an hour, sometimes more if I have the time.

As to what I eat, I'll tell what I ate yesterday; it's normally about the same every day.

For breakfast, I had a whole green apple. For lunch, one of those Smart Ones chicken fettuccine things. For supper, some mac & cheese and a tiny piece of skinless chicken (about the size of my index finger.). Snacks included a whole plum, chocolate yogurt, and an icee from Burger King.

I put all of that into a calorie counter, and it came out to 1000 calories. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to bump up what I eat?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Top Dog

It doesn't sound like you are eating nearly enough. It may be 1000 calories, but you are eating a lot of sugar and some carbs as well. That isn't going to help you.

Eat *real* chicken. Steak. Fish. Something with protein and fat. Cut out some of the fruit, yogurt, and other crap. Too much sugar isn't doing you any good. And I don't mean look on the back of the label. I mean just use plain common sense. Fruit is sugary. Carbs are nothing but starch and sugar...nothing nutritional there, either. Try eating more meat, definitely more veggies.

I'd suggest looking into Primal....for humans, not the dogs.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Felurian

I kept running into the same fat wall until I removed gluten from my diet. You might do a little reading on it and see if you think it's worth a try for you.

My mom has NEVER been able to lose weight until she went gluten free and she's now down to about the size she was when she was in her 20s -- from a size 18 to a size 8. She's in her 70s, and the weight has all come off in the past year. And it's staying off.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't know about "starvation mode" so to speak but yes, I think you would benefit from eating more and eating better.
Funny enough I had Smart Ones chicken fettuccine for lunch yesterday too, and while eating it I told my co-worker "this is so gross, so bad for me." He was like "Why??" because Smart Ones = good for you, right?
"It's processed food. It's nasty. I would do better to just make my own big batch of chicken fettuccine and freeze out individual portions."
The reason I even eat them at all is because they are better than a lot of frozen foods out there. The sodium isn't bad at all. But still... have you ever read the ingredients list? Yuck.
I understand the convenience factor, I really do, but that's why I really need to spend some time this weekend making up big batches of stuff and freezing it. My freezer has been empty of anything but processed food for about a month now... bleh.

Why so little chicken at dinner??

Yeah, IMO you definitely need to be eating more and eating better.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Just try me..

The starvation thing is a bit of a myth, kind of ... lol. It depends greatly on the person.

Worry less about the amount of calories (calories are important, but not in a primary role) and more about what the calories come from. You need your body to feel 'safe' burning the fuel vs storing it. High carb diets keep your insulin high (to keep your blood sugar in check) and this triggers storing, even if you are eating low calorie! Try eating less sugar and more protein and fat.

Your day was pretty much all sugar, except the chicken!! Also fat is one of the most important macronutrients if you want to lose FAT, if you are eating enough not only will you feel full and satisfied it doesn't trigger high insulin AND it is harder to store.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Worry less about the amount of calories (calories are important, but not in a primary role) and more about what the calories come from.
That.

I am currently using weight watchers plus caluclator. It calculates the protein, fat, fiber, and carbs. I truly am surprised at how much I can eat in a day and still be losing weight, and that is because it's BALANCED.........not just low calorie or high protein. The old saying "everything in moderation" is exactly right
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

You are eating the wrong things. Add more lean protein and far fewer carbs.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

So, basically, cut down on the fruit and up the protein? I LOVE fruit, so that's going to be a bit of a challenge! Renee, I don't think I eat too much gluten, but cutting it out completely wouldn't be that hard for me, I don't think.

Beanie, yeah, it's mostly a convenience thing. I'm a college student, so cheap, quick food is pretty much what I live on. I'm not a big junk food eater (chips and candy and fried food make me feel gross,) so is it mainly all the fruit and sugar I'm eating?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
<--------Orson

Mac and cheese has a TON of carbs and a TON of calories. The chicken fettucini has a TON of carbs. The burger king icee is basically ALL carbs.

Don't cut your fruit, cut the useless carbs down, add more veggies.......especially green ones Keep a food journal.....on the computer, in a notebook, whatever. It helps me quite a bit to see on paper what I'm putting in.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Just try me..

I will disagree on the lean meat thing (lol I just did a HUGE presentation -45 min) for my final honours biochem class on the interaction of carbs and fat and how they are used by the body in the context of obesity.. One of the best things you can do is eat natural meats, including the fat. New studies are showing that people have LOWER bad cholesterol when they don't starve the body of it (your liver makes it and every cell needs it) Also studies show that diets with enough fat actually work better because people tend to stay with them.

On to fruits. You can still have fruit! Just stick mostly to berries and things that have high fibre content. And don't eat them all day... Its likely all that pasta (ie sugar) that is going to be an issue. Its pretty much empty calories anyway! How do you feel about veggies?

I love this blog for fun food that is quite healthy. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com