Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
at least buy them dinner first
I'll make 'em a sammich and they'll like it
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
They are missing an opportunity here. Clearly the boy needs to stay in school and work on his vocabulary.
Oh, but that is too obvious, Eddie!

But yah, the expulsion is pretty ****ed up.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM
<--------Orson

Just wanted to say I showed this story to my 12 year old son and even HE sees the illogicalness of it! LOL He knows (and said) tweets are time stamped not only dated..........so how in the world can it be hard to prove when/where the tweet was made?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
.so how in the world can it be hard to prove when/where the tweet was made?
Frankly, who cares? The kid was a senior in high school, and thus probably 18 years old. Yes, if he sent it on school time and a school computer, and got caught at it, it should be disciplined . . . but for the love of all that is holy, why are they policing his tweets? Why are they bothering to try and figure out where he sent a tweet from that, although it contained a dirty word, was not offensive in its content nor directed at any particular person? Who the f*ck cares? Unless they caught him in the act, why the f*ck are the expending energy on it?

Edit: Although I concur with the statement that he needs to get used to the idea that the internet isn't private, I also agree with the kid . . . why are they monitoring his tweets? Why are they disciplining him so severely for what is, at most a minor offense, and if it was sent off campus, shouldn't be an offense at all? What business is it of theirs?

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

How asinine.

I'm with RTH. **** em.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Frankly, who cares? The kid was a senior in high school, and thus probably 18 years old. Yes, if he sent it on school time and a school computer, and got caught at it, it should be disciplined . . . but for the love of all that is holy, why are they policing his tweets? Why are they bothering to try and figure out where he sent a tweet from that, although it contained a dirty word, was not offensive in its content nor directed at any particular person? Who the f*ck cares? Unless they caught him in the act, why the f*ck are the expending energy on it?

Edit: Although I concur with the statement that he needs to get used to the idea that the internet isn't private, I also agree with the kid . . . why are they monitoring his tweets? Why are they disciplining him so severely for what is, at most a minor offense, and if it was sent off campus, shouldn't be an offense at all? What business is it of theirs?
Definitely! In my first post I said expulsion for profanity was ridiculous..........especially since it wasn't directed at anyone in particular! It was just a post talking about the F word itself, LOL

I would imagine they aren't necessarily 'policing' his tweets........they most likely have a set up that monitors where the kids visit, what they do while there, etc etc I'm also assuming he logged into his twitter account at school and that's when the flags started going off? I'm sure visiting profane sites on school comps is a big no no, that doesn't just mean sexual sites.

Hence my time stamp statement..........if this is the whole story, he could easily prove he was not at school using school property to write things against school rules. Period.

IDK...........the only way this makes even a spec of sense is if this isn't his first offense but perhaps his last straw? I really wish the school had chosen to comment

EDIT: Trust me, I know how asinine and obstinate the school can be about the dumbest things nowadays.........ESPECIALLY here in Indiana, LOL
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

I am really sick of all of this stuff. Scrawling the letter " F U C K principal Smith" on the gym floor is reason for expulsion. Writing it on the bathroom wall is reason for suspension. Writing a saying with the word in it, not directed at anyone with any intent on twitter isn't even something that should be checked.

I don't care if it was written at school on an iphone, on a school computer or at home. It shouldn't matter. We have all these **** laws. I hate all of them, from the drug testing, to smoking and especially computer privacy type stuff.

I hate that a teacher can't send an off color joke thru a school email without it being against the law. a worker can't surf a message board at work without the employer being allowed by law to go back and examine every key stroke they made on the computer that day.

Employers asking for facebook and twitter passwords and logins, your cell phone can tell everyone exactly where you are at every minute of every day. it's all getting a bit ridiculous.

It isn't to keep people safe. It isn't to save money, it's so people can have an excuse to do what they've always wanted to do, PRY into others lives.