Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Eyewitness accounts are -- in most instances -- some of the worst evidence ever as far as accuracy goes.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Lilavati's Avatar
Lilavati Lilavati is offline
Arbitrary and Capricious
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Eyewitness accounts are -- in most instances -- some of the worst evidence ever as far as accuracy goes.
Unfortunately, due to an apparent failure to gather forensic evidence, we have the 9-1-1 calls, eyewitnesses that can't agree, and Zimmerman's testimony. That's about it.
__________________
I'm a lawyer, but I'm not YOUR lawyer. Nothing I say should be taken as legal advice.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary




Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
I don't really see it as jumping on a bandwagon when I say I wholeheartedly believe he acted irrationally and should be held accountable.
You know, I do.

You don't know the facts in this case. None of us do--it's still fairly murky. Innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned, no matter how much of a lather Jesse Jackson and the media work themselves into.

BTW, last week in Jesse Jackson's home town of Chicago, 5 people were shot in an hour, including a 6 year old girl gunned down on her front porch in front of her parents. She later died. Over that same weekend, a total of 7 people were killed and dozens were wounded. If Reverend Jackson is looking for a cause to take up I'm sure the people in his own city would appreciate his help to quell the gang violence that has claimed the lives of countless young people like Trayvon.

Zimmerman should have backed off when the 911 operator told him to, but that does not mean that he was doing anything criminal. IF he did do something criminal, them yes, justice needs to be served. However, people seem falling all over themselves to try and convict this guy in the public arena. No good comes from a mob mentality.

BTW, did Zimmerman state that he followed the kid because he was black? Do we KNOW he profiled, or are we assuming he did because the young man was African American and Zimmerman wasn't?
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
BTW, did Zimmerman state that he followed the kid because he was black? Do we KNOW he profiled, or are we assuming he did because the young man was African American and Zimmerman wasn't?
On the 911 call, it sounds like Zimmerman says "f***ing coons."

So, yes, I suppose people are assuming because it sounds like he used a racist word that he was following him because he was black.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
You know, I do.

You don't know the facts in this case. None of us do--it's still fairly murky. Innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned, no matter how much of a lather Jesse Jackson and the media work themselves into.

BTW, last week in Jesse Jackson's home town of Chicago, 5 people were shot in an hour, including a 6 year old girl gunned down on her front porch in front of her parents. She later died. Over that same weekend, a total of 7 people were killed and dozens were wounded. If Reverend Jackson is looking for a cause to take up I'm sure the people in his own city would appreciate his help to quell the gang violence that has claimed the lives of countless young people like Trayvon.

Zimmerman should have backed off when the 911 operator told him to, but that does not mean that he was doing anything criminal. IF he did do something criminal, them yes, justice needs to be served. However, people seem falling all over themselves to try and convict this guy in the public arena. No good comes from a mob mentality.

BTW, did Zimmerman state that he followed the kid because he was black? Do we KNOW he profiled, or are we assuming he did because the young man was African American and Zimmerman wasn't?
We work with what we are given. To say that, in every single case, we have to stand back and zip our mouths shut is against our nature, and just a little ridiculous as an expectation, imo. I've read articles that simply presented what the facts were at the time, not comments from people. I haven't even read articles about the family members from either side, because that has nothing to do with the case itself.

Jumping on the bandwagon would be, from what I've seen, saying he shot him because he was black. I never said that, and don't believe that. My personal belief is that this man wanted to be seen as a hero, and he got his chance that night. He would have taken it with any person passing by that looked suspect to him, I believe. If that's the bandwagon opinion, so be it.

Just because I have that opinion doesn't mean I don't think the man deserves a fair trial, though. Of course he does, why wouldn't he? I'm not prosecuting him and I'm not on the jury, but I'm entitled to my opinion just the same as everyone else. We can't all be expected to just keep our mouths shut because there happens to be a bandwagon and because a race war has erupted from this.

If we walked around every day only giving out opinions on things we have all of the evidence for, most of us would never talk, and ideas would not be shared, and no one would learn very much at all. I've always found that idea to be a little odd, personally. No offense, of course, it's just strange to say no one should say how they feel because some people go nuts with their opinion.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Tahla9999's Avatar
Tahla9999 Tahla9999 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
You know, I do.

You don't know the facts in this case. None of us do--it's still fairly murky. Innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned, no matter how much of a lather Jesse Jackson and the media work themselves into.

BTW, last week in Jesse Jackson's home town of Chicago, 5 people were shot in an hour, including a 6 year old girl gunned down on her front porch in front of her parents. She later died. Over that same weekend, a total of 7 people were killed and dozens were wounded. If Reverend Jackson is looking for a cause to take up I'm sure the people in his own city would appreciate his help to quell the gang violence that has claimed the lives of countless young people like Trayvon.

Zimmerman should have backed off when the 911 operator told him to, but that does not mean that he was doing anything criminal. IF he did do something criminal, them yes, justice needs to be served. However, people seem falling all over themselves to try and convict this guy in the public arena. No good comes from a mob mentality.

BTW, did Zimmerman state that he followed the kid because he was black? Do we KNOW he profiled, or are we assuming he did because the young man was African American and Zimmerman wasn't?
Why in the world would he state out loud that he followed the boy because he was black? That would make him look really bad don't you think! Zimmerman made over 40 calls to 911 in a month before this incident happen as a "neighborhood watch". In those calls that were realease, the suspious people he called 911 on were black.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,379
Default

It's tough these days. Everythjng ends up being about racism even when it isn't. Not saying this is Or is not race basex becauseI simply don't know the answer

But when requiring ID to vOte is racist or when someone is double parked while they chat withtheir buddy, holding up traffic and inconveniencing everyone... Its racist or when the teacher tells a kid to stop being disrespectful and NO they can't go to the bathroom for the 4th time that period.... Its racist

Its hard to tell real racism from just plain old hard feeling. Some peoe want to make everything about race and others don't want to admit racism exsists at all. It's a blurred line anymore.
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
Why in the world would he state out loud that he followed the boy because he was black? That would make him look really bad don't you think! Zimmerman made over 40 calls to 911 in a month before this incident happen as a "neighborhood watch". In those calls that were realease, the suspious people he called 911 on were black.
Well, why would people post what they did about Rue's actor on a public site? I didn't know if he had made any statements, so I asked.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
We work with what we are given. To say that, in every single case, we have to stand back and zip our mouths shut is against our nature, and just a little ridiculous as an expectation, imo. I've read articles that simply presented what the facts were at the time, not comments from people. I haven't even read articles about the family members from either side, because that has nothing to do with the case itself.

Jumping on the bandwagon would be, from what I've seen, saying he shot him because he was black. I never said that, and don't believe that. My personal belief is that this man wanted to be seen as a hero, and he got his chance that night. He would have taken it with any person passing by that looked suspect to him, I believe. If that's the bandwagon opinion, so be it.

Just because I have that opinion doesn't mean I don't think the man deserves a fair trial, though. Of course he does, why wouldn't he? I'm not prosecuting him and I'm not on the jury, but I'm entitled to my opinion just the same as everyone else. We can't all be expected to just keep our mouths shut because there happens to be a bandwagon and because a race war has erupted from this.

If we walked around every day only giving out opinions on things we have all of the evidence for, most of us would never talk, and ideas would not be shared, and no one would learn very much at all. I've always found that idea to be a little odd, personally. No offense, of course, it's just strange to say no one should say how they feel because some people go nuts with their opinion.
Well, the media counts on rushes to judgment and knee jerk reactions. It's not really about keeping our mouths shut, it's about remembering that we only have some facts, and the facts that are being released are often being released in a rather slanted manner. I think the way this thing is unfolding is concerning for a number of reasons. I'm not saying that you can't give your opinion, but I am certainly free to have an opinion on your opinion.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Tahla9999's Avatar
Tahla9999 Tahla9999 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Well, why would people post what they did about Rue's actor on a public site? I didn't know if he had made any statements, so I asked.
Didn't mean to jump on you. Off topic, about the Rue incident, I think many people see twitter, or at least their twitter, as something most people won't see which make them more open with their views.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site