Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
My debate is more salary and more responsibilities/more OT hours/more stress, more room for climbing the ladder, versus less pay but not many real responsibilities or stresses.

I can live off of either, fortunately. It's just a question of if it would be worth it to pursue more.
Not having a lot of job stress is such a perk, especially if the salary you're making is decent and you can comfortably afford living expenses. It just really depends on what type of person you are.

I think if you really are considering going back, you should do it sooner than later. It's easier to fall into a routine of just work/no school once you've been out for a while. Plus, you haven't been out of math classes for too long. The one thing I DREAD about going back for Psychology is having to get back into advanced stats. I spent so much time and took a heavy stats based course load... but haven't looked at any of it for 5 years!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Not having a lot of job stress is such a perk, especially if the salary you're making is decent and you can comfortably afford living expenses. It just really depends on what type of person you are.
It is nice how it is right now without much stress. I can leave things at the office and never think of it at home. The bad thing is that there really isn't much advancement that I can do without getting a degree in the field. I'm in geology right now, but you need a masters in that to get a job as a full blown geologist. Engineers just need a bachelors and I've already got half the classes more than likely.

In some other ways though, I'd like more challenge and more say on things. Less menial tasks would be nice too.

Quote:
I think if you really are considering going back, you should do it sooner than later. It's easier to fall into a routine of just work/no school once you've been out for a while. Plus, you haven't been out of math classes for too long. The one thing I DREAD about going back for Psychology is having to get back into advanced stats. I spent so much time and took a heavy stats based course load... but haven't looked at any of it for 5 years!
At one year out I'm still going to have to go back and rework some of the advanced calc and such. I don't remember too much of it because I never use it.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

I start back for my bachelors in august after more than a five year break. I work full time days and ecenings. Scared to death but sitting at work one weekend on an evening I decided it was now or never! It's going to be hard and horses will never get ridden and the dogs will be bored. Kind of thinking of rehoming my gliders because they are already nippy.

But I need to do this to keep me sane in the long run! It's only a two year program tops and time flys by. Better to do it now.

Good luck if you go!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm All Ears

I think if I go back sooner rather than later, I'll try to start this fall semester.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

oh I did! but I didn't work full time and I'm doing classes online. and only a few at a time. I'm really not helpful

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

I have an architecture degree, and I originally graduated with it in 2006. This January I quit my job and I'm now back in school in pre-med, basically taking all of the math and science that I didn't have from my first degree. I'm 27 right now, which at my university means I'm the age of most of my TAs or older, and well older than the general population.

It was tough, being out of school for so long. It took me a while to get into the swing of things and back into an academic routine. It's also stressful for me because I basically can't afford to get less than an A in any class, so I'm beating the crap out of myself. I'm not working; I quit my job entirely. But I do volunteer several times a week at a local animal shelter working with dogs with behavioral issues, and at a hospital downtown in the ER.

The thing I think that hits home the most is when I was working, I got used to being able to come home and shut off my brain essentially. Even if I was working overtime, which I did a lot, I could drive home, turn on the computer/tv and veg out. Now, if I have school til 6:15 and I don't get home til 7:00, I have homework to do on top of all the rest of my regular household responsibilities. I can't sit down and space out. I forgot how annoying it is to not have any real time for myself because all of it is dedicated to school.

It's definitely worth it if that's something you really want to do, but the older you get and the more responsibilities you have, and the more you get used to having free time to go along with your paycheque, the tougher it can be to readjust. I love being a student, I'm excited about applying to med school next spring, and I'm so glad I took the chance on myself and quit the dead end job, there are just some nights where all I want to do is scream at the top of my lungs and burn all of my books in a fire.

Good luck in your decision, it's a tough one but I think if you do head back you will find it very rewarding.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Can I join this club?

I have a year left of my bachelors, but ended up not being able to afford going back and not able to go to school full-time and work full-time.

I want to go back and just do a class at a time, but it looks like I would have to pay for a LOT more out of pocket since loans generally go to people who are in school full time.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
& the Muttly Crew

FWIW I'd vote sooner rather than later if you can swing it financially. And if you decide you really want to do it.

I'll be working full time and starting on my master's sometime soon sooo yeah. Joy.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Just try me..

Shai>> cool, what would you do your masters in?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Shai>> cool, what would you do your masters in?
Leaning toward either electrical or materials engineering, either of which would complement my bachelor's without being redundant, plus would open doors in areas of interest for me without pigeonholing myself in a narrow tech field.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13