Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Don't you hate when they do that?
Pet is listless, when arriving at the vet they're spaz-tastic.
Leg is swollen, some limping. Possible serious injury? Arrive at the vet, swelling is down, walking normally.

How really frightening, though! Here's hoping Renegade stays himself and keeps healing.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Felurian

Enough to make you isn't it?

Could there be something in his environment at home that might be causing a reaction?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

Hope Renegade continues to recover! Everything that goes wrong sees to cause rear leg weakness in ferrets, so I would guess it's probably a side effect of having such a severe, near fatal reaction to the vaccine. I've been there and done that with vaccine reactions and ferrets, very scary to see for sure. The scariest was that a friend and myself both had a ferret react hours after the vaccine, when they were home and the nearest vets were all closed.

FWIW Renegade is a pretty classic case of vaccine reactions with ferrets, it generally occurs in adults with a history of vaccination (repeated exposure). All of the ferrets I've had and known who started reacting to vaccines were adults who had been vaccinated multiple times in the past. All recovered and went on to live normal (vaccine free) lives, so it doesn't mean he will now have other problems. From my experience, I really think Renegade will be ok. He's made it through the very worst, most life threatening part of it and is home

The vaccine reaction ferrets have is Anaphylaxis or Anaphylactic shock. Here are some informative sites for people who have or are recovering from this, if you are interested:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001847/

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aa...axis.htm#SEC7b
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I hope he's okay! I hate roller coasters like this when they're up then down. Hoping he stays up

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Checking in...How is he today?

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Renee, she thinks what happened was his previous steroids had worn off, so he was having a delayed reaction. She didn't seem quite surprised about it, and didn't seem to be all too worried. That said, he could be reacting to something at home, because he's also seemed to grow allergies to everything.

Yah Aleron, we wouldn't be so worried if he hadn't developed allergies to pretty well everything in the last year he has developed quite severe environmental allergies (it happens in the spring/summer, not sure of what but my guess is it has to do with the pollen levels), and we are seriously starting to believe that yes, he IS developing an allergy to meat, even though it is very very rare in ferrets. It all adds up to the possibility of a tumor or some other more dangerous condition than just a vaccine reaction -- the reaction was more of an eye opener, IYKWIM. Regardless, we're treating him for helicobacter starting today to try and see of that isn't causing some of his issues with meat (he's already on the Metronidazole and Pepto for 30 days due to the reaction, anyway)

As far as how he is doing today, I last saw him at 5am, but he fought me hard for his meds then, and was back to being himself

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Oh poor Renegade with all those allergies. Definitely see why you are concerned something else might be going on. Have you tried a single, novel protein elimination diet?

And yeah, always a good sign when ferrets start resisting their meds
Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Love My Mutt <3

oh yah, he's been fed raw to try and eliminate *what* it was, but of course, he did worse on raw than kibble I'm obviously being punished for something I did at one point.

He seems to be able to handle buffalo. But uhh... a) I can't afford to feed him buffalo and b) Even if I could, I have no idea WHERE I'd find said buffalo

He's fed mainly fish kibbles now, and isn't *as*miserable on them (on kibble, he just has funky poops, on raw, he pukes... he also managed to get both salmonella and e. coli poisoning while on a raw diet, this ferret is going to be the death of me).

I picked up some Bene Bac to give him, to try and grow some more bacteria in his stomach so maybe he can be a little happier, but I really don't have high hopes, but any ideas are always welcome!

Both his and Rogue's cases are making the rounds through ferret vets around the world, cause nobody has ever heard of either of their cases Well if they have, they hadn't documented about them. That is my luck.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Love My Mutt <3

One more update.

Just spoke to my vet. We're going with the option that he had a vaccine reaction, but there is a chance that he went into shock like that from being handled (we had to handle him rough, vaccinating him is a bitch), which would mean he has a Mast Cell Tumor in him. We're going ahead with treatment for helicobacter, if the diarrhea persists, we'll be treating with Prednisone. We'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it. (Which will not be a decision taken lightly, I am against the use of Prednisone)

Regardless, he will never be vaccinated again, which will mean a life style change but it's gotta happen.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Felurian

Jess, one of the grocery stores here carries ground bison. If this little backward place has it, you can probably find it It's not that expensive, relatively, either.

Or there are places you can order it online. You might find something helpful here. http://canadianbison.ca/consumer/default.aspx

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian