Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default I finally made an appt

Well I finally made a dr's appt for my hand. Some of you may recall I made a thread a while ago about some pain in the fore finger and thumb of my right hand. it's just been getting worse. I can't even open my own water bottles anymore although if they aren't on too tight I can use my middle finger and my thumb to twist it open with less pain and more strength.

The pain has been getting to the point where even reaching into my purse and moving things around hurts. I know my purse is the land of lost souls but it's not THAT bad that it should cause me pain to dig through it lol.

now the pain has been moving down into the palm of my hand and I've been getting a lot of cramping in it. yesterday I went to cross my arms and just the pressure of my arm on my hand was causing it to hurt.

I'm at a loss as to what it could be. hopefully it's just carpal tunnel and can be repaired. I hope it's not arthritis... I'm only 30. I have a lot of use for this hand yet lol.

We went to "That Bounce Place" the other day (which is awesome... adults can play on the bouncers too lol) and just from grabbing onto the handles for climbing the ladders and such... my hand was practically crippled after that.

So I stopped procrastinating and made an appt. monday at 9. Hannah goes to preschool that day so I'll be able to hit the doctors office ALONE lol.

anyone ever have anything like this? experiences?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
<--------Orson

No experience or advice on the hand issue, but I have plenty of experience with Doctor Visit Procrastination Syndrome, (or DVPS) LOL and just wanted to say HOORAY that you made your appointment

Kevin's been on my case to see the doctor for my foot pain, not quite to unbearable yet so I haven't made an appt LOL
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad you made the appointment. That sounds terrible and it sure could be severe tendonitis or carpel tunnel even. Hopefully a course of steroids will do the trick. Best of luck and lots of healing vibes coming your way.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Love my pets

It may be carpet tunnel or some form of tendonitis from repetitive motions.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Behavior Nerd

My mom had tendonitis in her thumb so it could def be that - she had to wear a brace for 6-8 weeks and had a cortisone shot or two, but is all better now! Hope you have just as simple a fix!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
My mom had tendonitis in her thumb so it could def be that - she had to wear a brace for 6-8 weeks and had a cortisone shot or two, but is all better now! Hope you have just as simple a fix!
hmmm I hadn't thought of tendonitis but that definitely is a possibility too. it makes sense.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Kristen1980

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I'm glad you made an appt and you'll be going alone Good luck!! I hope its not anything to severe!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Had my appt this morning

Of course today is the least amount of pain I've had in my hand in a long time LOL. She sent me for x rays although she said she doesn't expect that it will show anything. But if I do need to go for physical therapy I will need to have that x ray anyway... and it's looking like PT is where I'm going to end up.

She also sent me for some blood tests. she wanted to test thyroid function, vitamin D levels and also wanted to test to check for any anti inflammatory issues or diseases... basically checking for elevated levels of something I can't remember the name of lol.

Hopefully those come up negative and I just need some PT and will be good as new. fingers crossed

G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Big Dog

When my mom went through chemo and dialysis, she had something very similar. She had pain in her thumb and had severe muscle cramps where her thumb would pull itself in (not bent though) and would be stuck for at least a minute or so. It was really painful. She had gone to the dr and found out she had a vitamin deficiency... although which vitamin it was escapes me at the moment. It also linked up with not having enough potassium. She was put on supplements and it went away.

Hoping it's nothing serious and a little bit of PT will do the trick!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

I hope it clears up soon. When I had severe tendonitis in both my wrists (from over practicing the piano...12 or more hours a day for a month or two) I took a course of steroids and physical therapy. Both did wonders. Those physical therapists can be VERY good at their job. I had forearm splints for both wrists, but those can create some problems of their own if worn too much. So, hopefully, it won't be too involved a treatment plan for you. I occasionally have flare-ups but nothing like it use to be. There's nothing worse than not being able to use your hands. Good luck!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson