Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Kiba knows how to weave, but now that I've got real weave to practice with I'm going to start using 2x2-esque way to retrain a better entrance, adding in different angles (like the jumps) and slowly adding a jump and other obstacles to it.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

If a person has the experience and the skill to be able to get a raw dog to do 12 poles in 12 days including the dog being able to do 12 poles from anywhere on the arch and jumping......then it takes at least another 30 days to proof and work the weaves in sequencing from all other pieces of equipment.
So if it takes an experienced pro that long it would reasonable that the average owner would take 2 - 3 x's longer
Doing just the weaves does not prepare the dog for being able to do them while sequencing, courses or competing.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

I ended up going back and working on this stuff with Whim too, as she wasn't always getting her entries at trials. But it didn't take long to get her really good at it. It sounds like you are almost there on them too. A few things I did to work on Whim's entries was either set up the channel or weave-a-matic so that it was almost closed but not quite. Easy for her to be right and I used it in sequences, marking the entry and rewarding at the end. I also worked just entries with two or three straight poles only, in sequences with marking/rewarding when she got it right. I'd work all different entries in this manner, always marking and rewarding. And it has worked great! She now hits even harder entries pretty reliably and I've only been really working with her for a month or so. All that marking and throwing rewards though did seem to then cause 1oth pole syndrome, so we've spent the last two weeks working on that and it seems to be fixed now as well. Like everyone said, doing weaves by themselves are sort of different from doing them in a sequence where the dog has to collect and hit the entries while focused on running ahead.

I'm teaching an intermediate class at the training club right now and while all the dogs do weaves, to some degree or another most of the students said they wanted better weaves in some manner (better entries, speed, independence, reliable off both sides, etc). So we've been working on a slightly opened channel and mixing it up with straight poles on the course. In just a few weeks of only once a week practice, these dogs are all greatly improving in their weaving with the straight poles when running the course. I think because going back to making it easier and keeping reinforcement high, helps them develop a better understanding. I'm not sure what the protocol is for problem solving with the 2x2 method though.