Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Show Dog

What about a standard poodle
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
www.moonsongmals.org

Or you could just go find a Sibe/GSD mix in the shelter. Pretty awesome dogs for someone who knows both breeds well. But then I'm very biased.
That's interesting, I'll definitely check them out!

I've had a Sibe/GSD mix as well. Met a few, too. Amazing dogs. I'm very much tempted to get one. But I've checked, and none are around here.

Quote:
What about a standard poodle
I like standard poodles. Unfortunately, I don't like their hair! Lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 AM
mutts

What's about a Boxer??
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
What's about a Boxer??
Unfortunately, a boxer is something I'm never likely to own again. I had one when I was younger, named Tucker. He was never quite "right", actually ended up breaking his hip while in a kennel. He ended up passing away at 9 months due to unknown causes, although seizures certainly played a part and a blood clot to the brain was suspected. He was a one and only type of dog, like a heart dog, so another boxer isn't for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Show Dog

Irish wolf hound ?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Crazy Dog!

ACD's fit the bill pretty well. I always try to steer people away, but you seem well eduacted and determined enough. Yes, some are mouthy. I allow a certain amount of mouthy with mine and I start as babies working on bite inhibition. Mouthing is only allowed if I initiate and if you get too rough or don't stop when I say, the games are over. I don't have any heel-nippers or car chasers. I'd suggest a rescue that the temperament is already determined and you can decide if the dog is a good fit, or a puppy from a good breeder. How the breeder keeps their dogs and what they do with them is important. Cattle dogs need lots of socialization, and I'd suggest getting one that's the opposite sex of the dog you already own.

Also, after reading your list of traits, I'd say most any gun dog would be an excellent match too. Weimeraner's, German shorthaired pointer, brittany... etc. Most of the gun dogs are exactly what you're looking for.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
^ That's all good info. I tried looking up Platte Valley, and I came up with a club more than a breeder? I'm not sure if I saw a location, either.

Has anyone here heard of Pretty Prairie Kennel (GSP breeder)? They are near me, but I've never really heard of them before.

Oh, and if things are a little iffy on here concerning breeders, do please PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Do they have a website Sizzle? I'm planning on always having at least one retriever in my life lol, but I didn't know where to find another one built like I like.
Here's what I found:
http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breede...etrievers.html

Here are some pictures I found of Kanya. He's so fast, he's hard to photograph!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

A lab should have NO trouble keeping up with a go go go lifestyle... trust me. NO trouble at all.

Out of all of the dogs at the dog park, including Border collies, Aussies, Boxers Etc. My black lab is the fastest most "Go go go " Dog there. Seriously, No other dog ive met could touvh her in a race. Shes had hip problems since she was a small puppy and it doesnt slow her down. I should get a video of her someday. She is now two years old and has a good off swicth as well . But if i am on the go she is more then willing to join in. She can go and go for hours upon hours if allowed.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=Lyzelle;1962195]That's interesting, I'll definitely check them out!

I've had a Sibe/GSD mix as well. Met a few, too. Amazing dogs. I'm very much tempted to get one. But I've checked, and none are around here. QUOTE]
I think it goes in waves. I've seen as many as 5 nice ones in one shelter down here at one time. Right now there are a couple at in one shelter, but none in any of the others.

I really regret not adopting the Malinois/Sibe mix boy that was in the shelter about a year and a half ago. I don't really need to be feeding a third (ahaha, and yet I have a foster currently!), so its probably for the best, but omg he was was awesome. Gorgeous dark grey sable with white markings, perfect mix of breed traits both in drive and physical characteristics. Kind of really jealous of whoever ended up with him. I hope they are doing right by him!

Here's another reputable rescue if you are still interested in the shepherd route: http://www.montanagsdrescue.org/

I could see a sporting breed fitting in with you guys nicely too though!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitme View Post
From the choices in the first post I would pick a mali, Ot Vitosha off course
http://www.malinoispuppies.com/

Why Ot Vitosha?

To the OP, I think that a GSP would be a good fit. They are every other dog around here. Hardy dogs with generally good dispositions. A lot of people keep them as outdoor dogs (which I think is a crime in Iowa winters) so they much be pretty tolerant of temperature extremes.

I do think that the right Malinois could be a good match, and echo the others with checking out breed rescue. The breed does vary a lot in temperament. My last Malinois had no off switch and was quite intolerant of people and animals outside the immediate family. My new pup so far seems quite social and sensible.

Monkey, I know of an oops Malinois/Sibe litter and last I heard, there was one or two left. Mom is out of sled lines, dad is a working bred Malinois. Interested?