Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

A good GSD breeder is a bit like a needle in a haystack sometimes. And it could just be my two and the llines they are/were out of (Knox also is a bit more defensive than Apollo was) but they would redirect onto you. Apollo very rarely would he get so wound up that that happened.

Knox is like a Malinois though. Right now I feel like a battered house wife with all these bruises on my arms.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I grew up with GSP, they're awesome dogs. INSANELY high energy but none of the biteyness.
I've heard that, and someone else recommended them for a similar reason. High energy, workable dogs, lots of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
What about a german wirehaired pointer? They sound perfect for you.
DH is weird about wirehaired dogs, or dogs with beards. It's one reason he liked the Shorthair better, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
Since you are into northern breeds, have you thought about Malamutes at all? Since they are weirdly accepted and not on the can't own list, lol. They are goofy awesome dogs. I have had a world of fun with every single one I've ever met and there are a LOT in rescue needing good northern breed homes. Same things of not being able to trust off leash though, which kinda sucks.

Whatever breed you get, you should probably get one of the opposite sex as your current dogs. The shepherd breeds especially can often be same sex DA.
Yeah, DH wants a girl anyway, so we were definitely looking at a female.

I've considered Malamutes, but the ones I've met weren't as sharp or quick as the Sibes, and I really like quick dogs. I've also heard they can be harder-headed, with not quite the same smarts as Sibes, more stubborn and brawny type dogs. I'm still considering, and it's one of the very first breeds Jin asked about. The ones I met were able to be off-leash, though. Definitely seemed like a more doofus/slow version of the Sibe, but still energetic, happy, fun dogs who were a lot more loyal than the Sibes.

Just waiting on more info about them. There is a Malamute Rescue nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I see that you have a Pointer on the list, but what about a nice field-bred Lab? I think that you'd have an easier time finding the stable temperament that you're looking for, along with the willingness to please.

Check this guy out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9mAbG5OuU
Labs I've met were a lot like the Malamute temperaments....not as quick or sharp, although still very energetic and goofy dogs. Jin is definitely interested in one, it's just a matter of figuring out if Labs are truly a little slower or not. I don't like slow dogs...lol. I like GO GO GO, a dog that can think and move just a bit faster than me. I've always felt Labs were a bit more reserved, too. But it would be so much fun to figure out more about them, and what their personalities are really like.

I just asked him again, and he's interested in Labs, GSDs(if we can find a good one), Malamutes, and GSP. ETA: Oh, and Border Collies. I think he goes a little weak in the knees every time he sees one out and about around town.

How tolerant are the shorter/sleeker haired breeds mentioned here? Montana can get some crazy winter weather.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I would think a GSP would definitely need a coat at the very least. My friends needs one here in the Georgia winter.

GSDs should be fine as well as a Lab provided they have the correct coat type. Field bred Labradors tend to be extremely quick agile smart smart smart dogs. Enzo is out of field lines and all of her work is pretty snappy. Especially in comparison to my sisters Sibes. Knox is faster than her, but I'd think a Mal would be even faster to respond than him.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

A good lab, ime and I have several as clients at work, are amazing dogs if you can handle a tough dog. Meaning, they can be stubborn. I really like them but they can be a headache if they are determined to do something that I disagree with. However, they do tend to be pleasers for the most part so they're not unreachable. Even my pet bred labs, both english bench and field style have very nice food and toy drives. They are great with other dogs and happy to be with people.

We often discuss adding labs when we move to Oregon so I may be a bit bias. They are extremely hardy dogs that can out last every other breed in Alaskan hunt trials which speaks to their willingness to work, drive, stubbornness, climate tolerance, and stamina. Denis grew up in Alaska and trained labs for hunting and hunting trials. He's a huge fan of them and has converted me (well, my clients have helped but he did it first).

I really like the red fox coloring.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I would think a GSP would definitely need a coat at the very least. My friends needs one here in the Georgia winter.

GSDs should be fine as well as a Lab provided they have the correct coat type. Field bred Labradors tend to be extremely quick agile smart smart smart dogs. Enzo is out of field lines and all of her work is pretty snappy. Especially in comparison to my sisters Sibes. Knox is faster than her, but I'd think a Mal would be even faster to respond than him.
Are farm/work bred similar to "field" bred? Or do you mean more along the lines of gun dogs?

We have a LOT of Labs in this area, but they are all working farm dogs, sometimes crossed with Border Collies and ACDs. But there are still a lot purebred farm dogs around, and they guys rehome their culls that don't work out on the ranch. Most of the culls end up in the shelter, but sometimes you'll find them on craigslist at around a year old, saying that this particular dog or that one isn't cut out for farm work for whatever reason.

Last edited by Lyzelle; 03-25-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post

Labs I've met were a lot like the Malamute temperaments....not as quick or sharp, although still very energetic and goofy dogs. Jin is definitely interested in one, it's just a matter of figuring out if Labs are truly a little slower or not. I don't like slow dogs...lol. I like GO GO GO, a dog that can think and move just a bit faster than me. I've always felt Labs were a bit more reserved, too. But it would be so much fun to figure out more about them, and what their personalities are really like.
We have a few really nice field bred labs in our obedience club. One in particular - Kayna - is a POWERHOUSE. Here's his pedigree: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=407447

If I wanted a Labrador built lean and mean, with boundless energy and over-the-top drive, with a never-quit attitude.... I'd go with a dog from Platte Valley.

Quote:
Are farm/work bred similar to "field" bred?
Most of the farm-bred labs around here are just that - BYB labs bred on farms to be good farm dogs. Huge difference between those dogs, and the ones bred to work in the field. That's just my observation though.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

^ That's all good info. I tried looking up Platte Valley, and I came up with a club more than a breeder? I'm not sure if I saw a location, either.

Has anyone here heard of Pretty Prairie Kennel (GSP breeder)? They are near me, but I've never really heard of them before.

Oh, and if things are a little iffy on here concerning breeders, do please PM me.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Do they have a website Sizzle? I'm planning on always having at least one retriever in my life lol, but I didn't know where to find another one built like I like.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Big Dog

From the choices in the first post I would pick a mali, Ot Vitosha off course
http://www.malinoispuppies.com/
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've considered Malamutes, but the ones I've met weren't as sharp or quick as the Sibes, and I really like quick dogs. I've also heard they can be harder-headed, with not quite the same smarts as Sibes, more stubborn and brawny type dogs. I'm still considering, and it's one of the very first breeds Jin asked about. The ones I met were able to be off-leash, though. Definitely seemed like a more doofus/slow version of the Sibe, but still energetic, happy, fun dogs who were a lot more loyal than the Sibes.

Just waiting on more info about them. There is a Malamute Rescue nearby.
I find that hilarious because none of the ones I've met were what I'd consider slow at all. Goes to show not all dogs are the same within the same breed. A lot of the ones in Moonsong are recommended to homes that will bike or run with them in fact.

All the ones I've met were rescues/strays and all were just awesome. Very intelligent, stubborn, and loyal. They were orginally bred for hunting, usually one on one with their person and would help drag the kill back home. Most of the ones I've met were not trustworthy off lead in an unfenced area. Most aren't going to be fans of cats or small dogs either, but hey you are probably used to that. Very, very devoted to their people and very athletic for their size. Very much not couch potatos.

You should talk to Moonsong Mals. You could foster a dog and see if the breed is right for you. I know they have fosters all through ID and UT... not sure about MT, but you never know unless you ask. They are very reputable as a rescue too.
www.moonsongmals.org

Or you could just go find a Sibe/GSD mix in the shelter. Pretty awesome dogs for someone who knows both breeds well. But then I'm very biased.

I've gotten bruised and stuff playing with my mostly GSD girl and my other girl who is 50/50 is way too careful and soft with the tug, unless its a plush squirrel lol.

I've got more war wounds from my foster mini Aussie though. He's like a Maligator is an itty bitty herding dog package. Not even joking, he is ridiculous. Has a better off switch though. Sometimes...