Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

VERSATILE! Hah! Finally found the word I'm looking for. I mean a versatile dog. Something stable, but at the very least versatile, easier to work with and train, nothing set in stone, but not all over the charts unknown, either. Middle ground.

Whew. I thought that was going to drive me crazy, trying to clarify what I meant.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Honestly malinois and acd sound like they would fit your initial post but they're both very tough, very rotten, happy to bite you (trust me, training does not solve this), and noisy dogs.

Now, I'm notorious for telling the bad first. I figure if people can hear and stomach the "ugly" of a breed they can start considering the "pretty".

Currently I just xpen'd my two in the dining room/outside (after a long weekend of agility) because my pit bulls and I need a break. LOL I am cut, bruised, and scratched after the weekend. My elbow was hyper extended holding Sloan back while she screamed into and shook her wubba while driving up with watching other dogs run.

I love them but they're boogers. If you decide they will suit you you'll be thrilled, they're too much fun.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

I do the same thing when I tell people about Sibes and Mastiffs. I give them all the worst first. I prefer it that way. Then you know that if you can deal with the worst, the only left is all the better stuff! Lol.

One thing that really turns me off in your last post was the biting. I don't typically like mouthy dogs, and I know DH doesn't either. I've heard mixed reviews about that on the ACDs, too. Some are mouthy, some aren't.

I think I would almost prefer to start fostering dogs again, rather than settle on one breed, breeder, or pick something up at the shelter. If I don't like it, it isn't a long-term commitment and I'm doing some good. I'm so out of the way though, I really doubt if any rescues or such would foster dogs out to me. Not to mention this place is pretty much inaccessible during the winter.

And the biggest issue of all is really taking myself out of the equation and trying to really think about what would be a best match for DH. I'll be backseat driving, that's about it. But I would of course like I dog I could live with and work with, too. Especially if it ends up being a not-so-great match for DH.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
One thing that really turns me off in your last post was the biting. I don't typically like mouthy dogs, and I know DH doesn't either. I've heard mixed reviews about that on the ACDs, too. Some are mouthy, some aren't.
Don't get a Mal!!! Unless of course you do look into an adult rescue with known temperament. To me though, if this dog is going to be your DH's "first" dog, a Mal may be too much. My extended family is all scared of my little 40lb Mal because of her crazy puppy biting. She was never mean or aggressive toward them, but I guess not everyone likes being "attacked" by a dog who has momentarily lost her brain. They do tend to be mouthy as a breed, combine that with low frustration tolerance, high reactivity, and bites are going to happen!

But really, they can't be that bad, look at all of us here who love them! (And our many many scars....)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I think I would almost prefer to start fostering dogs again, rather than settle on one breed, breeder, or pick something up at the shelter. If I don't like it, it isn't a long-term commitment and I'm doing some good.
This is what I was going to suggest, LOL. Honestly, the "wants" you listed could qualify a dozen or more breeds, and even more if you're looking at individual temperments rather than breed generalizations. I think if you focus on individual dogs with the size, grooming requirements, and general energy level you're looking for and start fostering based on those things, you'll find your dog in no time.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

I see that you have a Pointer on the list, but what about a nice field-bred Lab? I think that you'd have an easier time finding the stable temperament that you're looking for, along with the willingness to please.

Check this guy out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9mAbG5OuU
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That's a great idea, we borrowed Malinois first actually (instead of fostering) but the girls we borrowed were a lot softer (though high energy) than my two.

To be honest if you're squeamish about being nailed they're not ideal for you, imo.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I grew up with GSP, they're awesome dogs. INSANELY high energy but none of the biteyness.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
<------RIP Superdog

What about a german wirehaired pointer? They sound perfect for you.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

I think there is something wrong with me Adrianne, everytime I see you give someone the speal about the bad parts it just makes me get even more excited to someday own one. Just not normal, LOL.

Since you are into northern breeds, have you thought about Malamutes at all? Since they are weirdly accepted and not on the can't own list, lol. They are goofy awesome dogs. I have had a world of fun with every single one I've ever met and there are a LOT in rescue needing good northern breed homes. Same things of not being able to trust off leash though, which kinda sucks.

Whatever breed you get, you should probably get one of the opposite sex as your current dogs. The shepherd breeds especially can often be same sex DA.