Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Oh pfffft! I refuse to go along with that getting older means you can't do things. I'm about twice your age and last night at the karaoke club, I beat my 32 year old daughter at arm wrestling. (not much of a contest either) So, don't give me any of that nonsense! All you need to do is work up to it....start doing a few push ups, do some smallish weights, or go brush someone's horse for an hour a day. Use both arms. Then do something for your back muscles (abs) so you don't hurt your back and soon you'll be young in body just like you're young at heart. Don't succumb to any of that! LOL. (anything I've said past threads about getting older and not being able to do things....disregard.)Hahahaha. My ex is always talking about how old he's getting (63) and how this aches and that doesn't work, how he use to be able to _______, weah, weah, weah. But he doesn't do anything in the way of exercise! I fear he's talking himself right into it. Take my older womanly advice (lol) and while it's normal to have muscle pain occasionally or an injury or even a defect caused by old age, you just simply mustn't tolerate such nonsense from your body.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

I tried to crawl through one of those plastic tunnels at the park with Elsie. When did they coat the insides with broken glass and when did my kneecaps turn into knives? I thought I was going to die.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

getting older doesn't mean you can't do things... but it certainly means you can't do certain things as well as you used to

Like jumping off the swings. remember as a kid you would get as high up as you could and then FLY off and land as far away as you could... heck you'd have contests lol. if I did that now I'd be in traction lol. Not because i'm old but because I'm oldER and I'm about 100 pounds heavier lol

CArtwheels and the like were much easier at 80 lbs than they are at 180 lbs

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Resident fainting goat

Not to mention.. as a kid, you broke an ankle jumping off those swingsets.. it hurts and its unfortunate but yea.. mommy takes care of you and you get around just fine til it heals

Moms with broken ankles.. life continues and there are responsibilities/things to do that would be very very hard with a cast! lol

that has always been my issue as a get older eve now..getting hurt as a kid would suck, but now it's like "oh god I would have to miss work..classes.. how would I get around campus?' etc.. lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Not to mention.. as a kid, you broke an ankle jumping off those swingsets.. it hurts and its unfortunate but yea.. mommy takes care of you and you get around just fine til it heals

Moms with broken ankles.. life continues and there are responsibilities/things to do that would be very very hard with a cast! lol

that has always been my issue as a get older eve now..getting hurt as a kid would suck, but now it's like "oh god I would have to miss work..classes.. how would I get around campus?' etc.. lol
Oh yes that is a good point too haha.

I remember I broke my leg in the second grade. Mom took me to the hospital, got a cast, and life went on and my biggest concern was that I wouldnt' be allowed to swim with the cast on.

LOL NOW it would be like OMG who is going to drive Hannah to gymnastics and co op and do the grocery shopping and chase hannah around and play with her and this and that and this and that. lol There simply isn't time for injury

AND now if you want to be able to do those things as well as you did as a kid you have to WORK at it. I remember I could do the splits at the snap of a finger... no warming up needed.

Now as an adult? sure if I worked at it I could do them again without injury but who wants to do that When we had Teddy he forced me into a split lol his leash caught the back of my ankle and down I went. Oh man... I was out of commission for MONTHS

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
getting older doesn't mean you can't do things... but it certainly means you can't do certain things as well as you used to

Like jumping off the swings. remember as a kid you would get as high up as you could and then FLY off and land as far away as you could... heck you'd have contests lol. if I did that now I'd be in traction lol. Not because i'm old but because I'm oldER and I'm about 100 pounds heavier lol

CArtwheels and the like were much easier at 80 lbs than they are at 180 lbs

I know...I was exaggerating, true enough. I have to be a little careful because I have a herniated disc in my back plus general degenerative disc disease all over. So, any wildly jolting maneuver, very heavy lifting, or violent fall could have serious consequences. So, I do keep a few things in the back of my mind as I go about life. But I still refuse to admit (I guess that's the word) that I might not be able to do some things I use to do. Okay, I said it. When I lift anything too heavy, which I tend to do because I'm pretty strong, sometimes afterward, I'm very scared I might have done something to my back. I don't think I'd risk riding a horse again and I rode since I was a very young child and rode like a little Indian. If I were to fall, I don't know what would happen. Same with skiing. Was big into skiing and now....too risky. So, yeah. But we just won't talk about that too much. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I know...I was exaggerating, true enough. I have to be a little careful because I have a herniated disc in my back plus general degenerative disc disease all over. So, any wildly jolting maneuver, very heavy lifting, or violent fall could have serious consequences. So, I do keep a few things in the back of my mind as I go about life. But I still refuse to admit (I guess that's the word) that I might not be able to do some things I use to do. Okay, I said it. When I lift anything too heavy, which I tend to do because I'm pretty strong, sometimes afterward, I'm very scared I might have done something to my back. I don't think I'd risk riding a horse again and I rode since I was a very young child and rode like a little Indian. If I were to fall, I don't know what would happen. Same with skiing. Was big into skiing and now....too risky. So, yeah. But we just won't talk about that too much. LOL.
yeah I hear ya.

Poor Brian is going in for Surgery in May for his hip. he has some bone spurs to be removed and cartilage to be replaced and he has arthritis and eventually he'll need a hip replacement.

With all that being said... we are on our way to go ice skating lol

G.K. Chesterton

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

I must add.. mad respect for moms who aren't afraid to run around and play and be silly with their kids (even if it means getting a wee bit dirty lol)

I love my parents, but that's one thing I would change as far as how I was raised. Play (like outside games, hide and seek, etc..) was more of a "kid thing" children did with other kids, toys, pets etc.. and I remember really wishing my mom would play with me at the park instead of just keeping an eye on me while she read her book or got work done

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I must add.. mad respect for moms who aren't afraid to run around and play and be silly with their kids (even if it means getting a wee bit dirty lol)

I love my parents, but that's one thing I would change as far as how I was raised. Play (like outside games, hide and seek, etc..) was more of a "kid thing" children did with other kids, toys, pets etc.. and I remember really wishing my mom would play with me at the park instead of just keeping an eye on me while she read her book or got work done
My mom used to do this thing with us where she was the 'shark' and our feet were the 'fish' while we were on the swings, and she would try to 'catch the fish.' When she did, she'd pull us up so our feet were over her head, and then she'd let go. That's one of my greatest childhood memories.

In retrospect, it sounds kind of dangerous, but I'm so glad she did that with us.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Oh wow Sparks...poor Brian. That sounds pretty darn painful. I hope his surgery will go well. I love your sense of humor....
Quote:
With all that being said... we are on our way to go ice skating lol
Too cute and funny!

Fran, that's too bad. But I'm sure she did other things that other Moms aren't as good about.

I was a very playful Mom...(probably because I just never really grew up all the way. lol) jumped on the trampoline with the kids, went sledding with them, did pretty much everything with them.

When I was growing up, my Mom wasn't as into doing things like that with us. But she did take "nature" walks every single day with me when I was just a toddler...and instilled a love of nature as we collected pretty fall leaves and she'd point out things about birds or other flora and fauna. I always say she did things that made me love the outdoors and made me hardy. lol. For example, for my naps as an infant, she put me in a carriage out on the screened in porch for my naps. (in the dead of winter in N.J.) Of course, I was bundled up and apparently never died. But she believed in lots of fresh air, I guess.

My Dad was the one who reeeeeelly did stuff with me as a kid. I was the youngest and I think he might have done more with me than the other two. He took me riding to some stable before I had my own horse every week end, took me to the shooting range when I was a young teen, taught me about guns and how to be a crack shot, and afterwards, to the adjacent fish hatchery to see how things were progressing with the hatchlings. He went sledding with us when we were little. He got me interested in tropical fish and also Guinea pigs as well as dogs. We did things together in a companionable way, like go to the feed store together, build pens for the Guinea pigs, clean the several aquariums he had, and he taught me to garden, as he was a stupendous gardener..I had lots of those kinds of chores. I think it's why I am interested in so many things...have lots of hobbies, find hobbies to be the cure all for just about anything that gets a person down and can be so enriching. He was a really good Dad until we got to be about 14 years old. Then it all went to hell. LOL. He didn't quite know how to deal with the teen ager species.

Thomas Jefferson