Dimmer Switch
Faceplate
Electrical tape
Wood glue
Plexiglass chunk
Old PC fan
12v cell phone charger
2 baby bottle tops with nipples

Hopefully it'll be ready to set up by tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Cool! That sounds very industrious of you. Can't wait to see pictures. (hint, hint)
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Very Food Agressive

What are you incubating?

Lacquer Ninja

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Taxiderpy

I'm working on some pics of its progress. Tomorrow we're picking up a dozen americauna eggs from a friend to do a test run. If those go well I'll probably hit craigslist for some turkey, quail, or duck.

The charger turned out to be 5 volt so I called some friends who hoard dead electronics to see if they had any extra. Turns out one had a selection of 120v fans so he's bringing one by that I can just wire directly into the rheostat. Woo!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Very Food Agressive

Woot, way cool!

Lacquer Ninja

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Taxiderpy

Thanks! This is my first time ever doing anything with wiring anything and I'm a total electricity newb, so it was kind of scary. lol. Thanks goodness for youtube.

Here's the lid with the hole cut for the rheostat switch, the light socket is set in, and the bottle tops. The bottle tops are to hold the electric cord so it doesn't chafe the styrofoam to bits and to help insulate.

Here's the tips of the nipples cut off so the cord can be threaded through (that sounds wrong, lol).

Here they are countersunk into the foam and glued in place.

Here's the body of the incubator. The viewing window is cut out, and the plexiglass will go in there. I got that piece out of an old picture frame.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Cool. Is this something you found on the Internet? A "how to" deal? I think those birds are going to be a lot of fun for you. Keep us posted!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Taxiderpy

It's loosely based on this video. My light is wired directly into the dimmer switch in my lid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1ty...eature=related

I tried rearranging things so that there was room for more eggs. I think I accidentally cooked a few . The temperature was totally stable in the spot where the thermometer was, but directly under the bulb was 120 degrees.... They sat there for about 4 hours so yeah... We'll see who's still alive in a few days and get rid of the rest. This is just a test run anyway.

I redid the setup so that the bulb shines directly on a plastic shield and the fan is blowing the opposite way. That seems to have solved the hot-spot problem. We got a wooden tray the girls broke and my dad screwed on legs and drilled holes for ventilation. It's just cobbled together right now. As things get tweaked with this batch I'll get it set up better and then install things more permanently.

The foam was also crumbly so I paper mached part of it with brown paper bags and wood glue to make it stronger. Eventually I'll replace the plexiglass with clearer stuff.

Will get pics later, I can't find the cord now.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Awesome! Now you've got me wanting to raise some chickens. But I must contain myself. Actually, I am allowed to here in the city where I live. But I'm not so sure about having additional responsibility now, more animals to take care of, I do not really need. LOL. But it definitely looks like a fun and useful hobby. Actually, those home grown eggs would be mahvelous! Can't wait to see how things progress with your. Keep us updated whenever you can. Love this idea!

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

This makes me want chickens even more badly than I already did.