Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM
<3 my soldier

Beautiful dogs!! I can't wait to see more puppies! I'd love to see some videos of them in action too!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Big Dog

I'll have to try taking some video. Maybe if the weather is nice tomorrow I'll try to get pics of Cleo and maybe some video of them both playing in my yard. Renee is still pretty active, not heavy yet, but if definitely showing some odd grumps and such. I am very hopeful that there will be a litter. Vet visit in another couple of weeks to check her over.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Gorgeous dogs!!! I have only met one in person and he was "sitting" on his masters lap at a trial while she was sitting in a chair... It was quite a site!!

They really do take your breath away!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Wookie Collie

Welcome! I don't know a whole lot about wolfhounds - I do know that aesthetically they are one of my favourite breeds. I live close-ish and keep saying I need to visit Dekka again soon - perhaps when I do we can meet you too!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

At our big house we built on acreage quite a few years back, some neighbors down the road showed and bred Irish Wolfhounds. They were nice dogs, very lovely with people and quite laid back. They had quite a few at any given time, like maybe 5 or 6 plus puppies once in a while.

They had 10 acres and did have a fence, just not a solid one. Some little stray, fluffy dog...so cute was wandering around our neighborhood for a few days. I wish I had nabbed him when I had the chance. But it was private roads...not much traffic at all. Anyhow, another neighbor saw this little dog go into the pasture where the Wolfhounds lived and saw them rip apart that little dog. She was very upset and couldn't do a thing about it. She tried yelling "no" but of course that didn't register with them at that point. Anyhow, they were required by the county or someone to make a better fence, so they used a tall, chain link all around their 10 acres. Of course, any dog could do this. I just remembered these dogs. They did do their share of barking and making all kinds of racket. Sometimes I'd hear the woman yell out the door, "SHUT UP!" And it worked. Sudden silence. LOL.

Well, your dogs are lovely.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Big Dog

While I've heard of it happening, I can't imagine my own wolfies doing that. A while back I had a couple of JRT fosters (one of whom I adopted - but sadly had to rehome as she was an escape artist and always without exception went directly to the road - I was terrified she'd get her self killed). Dee, the one I kept for 2 years, would always play with the Wolfies. She was the "aunt" for Renee's first litter - they adored her. She would also play with Renee, racing around the yard, leaping at her shoulder, springboarding off, then racing madly around the yard together. They were such good buddies. If only Dee would have stuck around instead of escaping and putting her life at risk...

I guess part of the reason my guys are ok with smaller critters is that they grow up with them. As very young puppies they get the chance to meet our other dogs (as soon as Renee isn't over protective of course) and play with them in the yard. When weaned they live in the barn for a while (more room, less mess) and there they get to know all the cats. I'd often find one of the barn cats curled up in a mass of puppy bodies, happily sharing the beds. Later in life the dogs share the house with a rather dominant cat who will usually claim one of the huge Wolfhound-sized beds for herself. The Wolfies all move away and sleep elsewhere instead of arguing with her.

Now I have seen them get excited when a stray squirrel decides to risk running on the ground through their treed yard. They've not caught one though. The cats are safe, and often patrol the fenceline, and I can bring pretty much any dog for a visit and not fear for its safety. However, if a dog were to try to fight with them... I couldn't be sure of its safety. I've seen Renee show her teeth to another Wolfhound she didn't like... and can't imagine the damage she could cause (well I don't want to anyway). Even watching them play sometimes can be interesting... though they won't hurt eachother.

Socialization makes a huge difference IMO. I do think that many dogs who are likely to pack hunt are likely less socialized with different sizes/types of critters. Of course some are just high prey drive to begin with (like JRTs as a whole, which I discovered during my brief stint of being a foster for them).

Barking is a funny thing. My guys have this funny habit of having barking contests. They will line themselves up nose-to-nose and bark at eachother. They go back and forth bark-bark-bark-bark. It's hilarious to watch. Usually they will be quiet if asked, but not always. Otherwise they generally just bark when they want in, or when someone comes visiting. They also have the odd howlfest. Fortunately we have 100 acres - no neighbours to get annoyed.

AllieMackie, you'd be very welcome out for a visit should you happen out this way. Actually the breeder we usually deal with is out Gatineau way. We will also likely be doing several shows out in the Ottawa direction late this summer. They are good shows for Wolfies as there are quite a few breeders in that general area. You'd be welcome to meet us out at a show too if you wanted Dekka is thinking of working with Renee in obedience, so she might even come to some shows and show her
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Big Dog

Forgive the bad video...

But here is a bit of Cleo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opEHh...ature=youtu.be

And of her with her mom Renee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=err_u...ature=youtu.be

I will have some photos of Cleo to share soon too I'm going to make a thread in the photos section for some fun shots, but I (hopefully) have an actual conformation shot or two of Cleo, which I've not had since she was a puppy.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Big Dog

Ok, it's a terrible shot, but my mom tried taking the conformation photos and managed to cut Cleo's head off in all but this one... One looked really good too, other than the missing head :/ Still you can at least see what Cleo looks like now (at 2 years old).

Keep in mind that there is a slope... and it's a really awful picture :/ I will have to groom her up a bit better and have Dekka take some pics for me.

And here is one of her "trotting".

Ok, and so you can laugh... the good "headless" shot... :lol:
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freehold View Post
AllieMackie, you'd be very welcome out for a visit should you happen out this way. Actually the breeder we usually deal with is out Gatineau way. We will also likely be doing several shows out in the Ottawa direction late this summer. They are good shows for Wolfies as there are quite a few breeders in that general area. You'd be welcome to meet us out at a show too if you wanted Dekka is thinking of working with Renee in obedience, so she might even come to some shows and show her
Oh awesome! I would love to. Keep me posted.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014