Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Big Dog

So true, Dekka I love that too, though having a dog who can spring from the floor to arms in a flash like yours is kinda cool too. No way I'm carrying a Wolfie around with me.

I will be adding more tomorrow. The posts are taking a while to pass through the moderator, which is why I'm slow adding to it. But it is coming.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Wolfhounds are certainly a different breed, and despite their short lifespans I really do love them.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Show Dog

Wow they are amazing dogs.

Do they need alot of exercise?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Top Dog

do you hunt w/ them?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Love my pets

Loved reading your story. They are all beautiful dogs.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Big Dog

Welcome! Beautiful dogs!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Big Dog

I do not hunt with them. Actually I breed specifically with the plan for them to be pets. Because of this I don't really want the prey drive that hunters would want. I want calm, friendly dispositions, confidence without too much dominance. There are some lines of Wolfhounds that had timidity issues - not something you want in such a big dog, especially if that is ever combined with aggression. Not that they are normally aggressive dogs, but it can happen.

Of my girls, Renee has what I consider the perfect disposition. Erin was a touch timid, so I was very happy to get Renee's confident personality. The only aggression Renee has ever shown was to a pair of Wolfhound bitches she's met at the shows. I have no idea what it is, but this particular pair of girls just turns Renee the wrong way. Any other dog she's completely fine with... Cleo, my younger girl, is a bit more dominant than I like, though not too bad. As long as it isn't coupled with aggression we'll be fine, but if it ever were she could become difficult. With such huge dogs there's not a lot of room available for aggression - you physically can't pull these guys off if you needed to.

I am considering trying the lure coursing, which is more like hunting. Renee tried once and was somewhat interested; I think with some training she might be better.

As for hunting, I think my guys might do ok if they were raised and trained for it. Certainly at a physical level they would have the build and speed to do very nicely. I just don't want that mindset. I'd rather have a dog who will be best buds with the cats and other pets than one who might "accidentally" eat one...

As for exercise, like most hounds, Wolfhounds like a good run here and there, but are otherwise quite happy to lounge around. Our mostly get free run time in the yard, but then hang out inside.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Big Dog

Part 3 (the last part)

So, from Renee's first litter I still have Cleo. I also still have Renee's brother Java. And now Renee has just turned 5.

I really want to try an outcross breeding. There are several thing about Cleo that just make me... She's conformationally as nice as if not a bit nicer than her mom. Her temperament is a bit dominant, but still fine. But... I guess I just worry that there might be some odd recessive gene showing up that isn't quite right - particularly around her immune system. It's not... real.. if you understand. Nothing traceable or anything. It's just that she's had various little things happen that seperately mean nothing but together just make me cautious.

Anyway, if Cleo has puppies and I see stuff wrong about them I don't want to lose my line from Renee. So.. I'm looking to a second breeding, an outcross this time so if there is some strange gene doubling up, I can avoid it.

So I looked around for an outcross, but it was really hard. I found many studs that I don't like. There are a few Wolfhound types out there, many of whom are not what I want. Some are too "tubular", others are weedy. There was a stud owned by owner of the one bitch who had been bigger (but less refined) than Renee, but she wouldn't talk to me about it. Another stud I really liked lives in Texas, but he's still young and is only expecting his first litter now. The owner doesn't want to stand him until she's more confident of what he produces (thinking he might be nice for Cleo when she's ready though). He's be interesting as he goes back to the line that was Erin's outcross.

After an outcross I'd plan to go back to the line. I know that things are less certain when breeding out of the line, but I also want develop my own line and breed true to what I want.

Anyway, Barbara has a stud whose sire was an imported dog, so he's a half outcross. She thinks he'd make a very nice match with Renee, and I don't disagree. So Renee went to Barabara's to meet Heke. And now we are expecting puppies around April 28th

Now, I try to be as responsible a breeder as I can. I offer health guarantees, try to match puppies to the right owners, don't let the puppies go until they are 10 weeks old, do vaccinations/deworming/dewclaw removal (which you do in Wolfhounds), and am always available to my buyers should they need advice, assistance, or if ever they can't keep their dog. I admit I don't have puppy buyers for every puppy lined up before they are born, but with litters of 8-10 puppies it's not exactly easy. I'm still so new on the scene that not everyone trusts me. But I am doing my best to do it right.

And that's basically my story I've not shown Renee since she had her first litter - she's been enjoying the house/farm life. However since I plan to take Cleo out late this summer (after the puppies are gone) I will likely take Renee along. If Cleo really is nicer than her mom, as I suspect, it will help in situations where there is no other Wolfhounds that show up at the show. Though not sure who will handle the second dog... I am hoping that Renee will do obedience too, and possibly get her obedience title. Not something I've tried before (usually house obedience and basics have been enough), but I think it would be a fun challenge to try.

I'm glad that you guys have been enjoying the story and pics. I need fresh photos of Cleo I've been a neglectful photographer. Renee still looks like Renee, though a touch heavy at the moment since she's not in show trim. No - wolfhounds do not usually show with extra weight.

When the puppies come I'd love to share puppy pics and such. Personally I'm hoping for a nice litter of 5-6 pups, but considering her last litter and her mom's litter we are more likely to see 8-10 pups... Ah well, the double nursing shifts don't last forever and they are all so cute
Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

AGAGGAGAGAGGAGAGAGGAGAGAG i am bookmarking that date/week. wolfy puppies . i demand/plead/beg/offerfirstborngrandchildren. for puppy pictures. I have always oogled and sighed over these dogs. I wish to god i could get in line right now , but the hubbs would kill me and the kids would revolt.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I am not that far away from Beddgelert in Wales When I was in school (no where near Wales) we went on a trip there to see his grave. I love that story

And just for fun - it's pronounced bethgelert! dd = th.

Lovely dogs - can't wait to see a LOT more pictures
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Big Dog

lol bogart Well, if life happens the way we'd like it to, we might have Cleo puppies in 18 months or so...

This is the Texan dog I'm drooling over as a potential outcross: GCH Carnasserie Lodestone of Taryn I just need to figure out how to get them to agree... and how to arrange a trip to Texas

Dizzy, that's too cool!! One day I'll travel the world and have to see that site.