Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Breeding out DA

I was on another forum (dogfoodchat) to be more specific so some of you might have seen the thread.

But it was about breeding DA out of pits and other potentially DA breeds. I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the subject. Do you think it would benefit the breeds? Totally change the breed??

I know that thread got a little heated so Lets keep this thread PG guys. We all love each other here <3

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

Oh my.. that thread.. was bad..

Regarding DA: I definitely don't "love" it, and would greatly prefer to own dogs that are very dog social (which all 3 of mine are), but I do accept that it can be a breed trait. Do I think it should be specifically bred out? No, not really, because that could lead to a bunch of other problems with an otherwise hearty breed. Should it be bred FOR? No, not IMO.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Oh my.. that thread.. was bad..

Regarding DA: I definitely don't "love" it, and would greatly prefer to own dogs that are very dog social (which all 3 of mine are), but I do accept that it can be a breed trait. Do I think it should be specifically bred out? No, not really, because that could lead to a bunch of other problems with an otherwise hearty breed. Should it be bred FOR? No, not IMO.
So Bad. I was thinking that this forum atmosphere is alot more friendly and tight that discussing this would go alot smoother. Ha ha

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM
*Now with Snark*

I guess my pondering is can you have gameness, tenacity, and the essential temperament components that should make up the breed without dog aggression? My thought is no, you cannot and that owners simply need to be educated that dog aggression / same sex aggression may simply be in the cards no matter how much you love or how you raise that dog.

A pit bull is not a labrador nor a border collie, they are not a cocker spaniel, or a husky. They are a purpose designed dog and I'll be sad if we ever reach the point where a dog breed is simply a shell with a size like buying a series of cars with the same engine.

I guess my pondering is what exactly is the problem we're looking for solutions for here. To make pits more average home friendly? To improve their reputation with joe blow? Prevent BSL? Lower euthanasia rates?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

How do you breed out DA? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless, I didn't realise this was possible.

My Photos
Old 11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
How do you breed out DA? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless, I didn't realise this was possible.
My understanding is that you breed dogs that don't have the DA trait, so slowly the DA seeps out of the breed.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

I think anytime you breed for or against a specific issue it will always change the breed but unintended consequences are usually part of that as well.

but concerning DA, i'm not sure it's a real plausible goal. I don't know the entire breed, i only know my experience and i've met quite a few.

Some were DA, no doubt, and would kill another dog if given the chance. I've met many more though that didn't have DA. They got along fine with other dogs, didn't drag you across the street on a leash to get at another dog or anything.

I think there is a huge variation in any breed, sure you could probably breed away from DA a little bit, but I don't know what impact it would have.

I've met plenty of "docile" breeds that had as bad of DA as any dog i've met. About the only difference is a lot of breeds are not equipped physically to do much harm, where as a pitbull is driven, strong and agile. Great or bad things can be done with that.

I've seen such a wide range of DA in all breeds, not just pit bull type dogs, i don't think it's something like coat color that is easily selected for or against.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
I guess my pondering is can you have gameness, tenacity, and the essential temperament components that should make up the breed without dog aggression?
I think this would be the real question. Because obviously, if all dog breeds could, as a general breed trait, be 100% dog friendly that would make life so much easier. BUT, it seems like the DA is just a consequence of other traits that the breed is bred for. Not only gameness and tenacity, but what about guardian dogs? Would a dog that is bred to defend the flock/homestead/family be as effective if it was sociable with strange dogs?

Or, is it possible to retain all of those traits and only strive for a dog that is dog/dog social in its own family "pack", and only exhibits DA towards new/strange dogs?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

1. DA is a breed trait. People should stop trying to change/ruin breeds and find a breed that suits them. If you truly love a breed you don't try to change them.
2. It would take a VERY long time to breed out DA because cold dogs can produce DA dogs, and frequently do... and vice versa of course. They have been trying to breed the DA out of AmStaffs for a long time and there are still DA AmStaffs.
3. Imagine the health implications that would come by cutting out the majority of the population just because they are DA. Dramatically reducing the gene pool like that would be ridiculously foolish.

I got into this debate on DFC and I just had to leave because it was really getting out of hand into personal attacks.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
I got into this debate on DFC and I just had to leave because it was really getting out of hand into personal attacks.
I was actually suprised how bad it got, but I find that alot of the threads on that forum turn into personal attacks.