Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

A pet limit law is a "You have so many dogs that you cannot possibly afford them, have the space for them, keep them happy, or show each one enough love says one unknowing/ignorant person about another, whom they do not even know." kinda law.

It's one person who think they know about another.

I have a lot of friends that hunt with dogs. It's not uncommon to see anywhere between 5 and 50 dogs on a property.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I like the idea of limits, simply because I don't particularly like the idea that someone can shove 6 dogs in an apartment, then leave them alone to get bored all day while they are at work.
But what about the person who can own six dogs in an apartment WITHOUT them being a nuisance? Or the person who can't own ONE without causing problems for the neighbors? It's not a function of number. It's a function of quality of ownership. As with everything else.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm All Ears

Plus apartment complexes have the ability to put their own limits on their property as well. No need for laws.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I definitely agree with RTH.

I do NOT want laws limiting the amount of pets I can own, nor do I want to have to register my pets. Thankfully, my county doesn't have license/registration laws.

I take better than of my FIVE dogs than most people take care of one.

There are noise ordinance laws for barking, abuse laws for people not taking care of their animals, etc, etc. WHY do we need laws limiting the number of animals if they are well taken care of and not causing a disturbance?!

Like someone said, it's a tax for the law abiding citizens. The people who are breaking the laws are the ones who AREN'T going to register their pets so it does no good.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Plus apartment complexes have the ability to put their own limits on their property as well. No need for laws.
Plus they have expensive pet deposits, so I highly doubt somebody will bring six dogs to an apartment. The pet deposit here is $300. Multiply that by 6 and you get $1800 which is almost as much as a whole month's rent! You'd have to be freaking rich to to pay that, and if you were that rich, why wouldn't you just buy a house?? But I digress.

If you (general you) don't think that AC will take your dog for being over the limit, think again! I gave one example where the rescue I volunteer for has two dogs from just such a situation (chubby, healthy dogs). All it takes is one nosy neighbor who doesn't like dogs, and you will have AC knocking at your door.

As for licensing, you can't MAKE people license their dogs. I haven't seen it do much good anyway, its really 99% about generating revenue for the county. I have seen a license get a lost dog home as the AC officer was able to read the tag and look up his information, but a chip or a ID tag can do the same.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think we should forget the pet number limits and try to change and enforce the real cruelty laws.

Like making sure dogs have..Food. water. shelter. vet care.

They can't even handle enforcing those! I don't see why they needed to go around adding a dog census/pet number limit..

Pet limits IMO do very little to over-all dog care.
People who don't care about laws don't follow the limits/register their pets (or go to the vet with them to be registered)

and people who are going to neglect animals will do so.. wether there is 1 or 102385 dogs in the home.

Does having more dogs make neglect.. easier? I suppose.. yes.
but it doesn't make it a given ANY MORE than having one dog automatically means the dog is well cared for!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Oh for the love of god. I was just making up random examples of how a bunch of dogs could be a nuisance to someone's neighbors. Just replace them with something that WOULD bother you if they wouldn't.
The kids in my neighborhood can also be a nuisance to neighbor's. They make way more noise than anyone's dogs, run all over the place, block the rode with their bikes (not to mention having to wait to turn onto the street if you get stuck behind the school bus and all the cars waiting to pick kids up. I'm outside trying to work my dogs and all the neighborhood kids are screaming and running all over my neighbor's yard. If I was trying to have a barbeque, I don't know how my guests would enjoy that. There's lots of grade school age kids on my street. LOTS of them! And they all like to hang out at my neighbor's house all day, every day when it's nice. Perhaps people shouldn't be allowed to have multiple kids? Or there needs to be a law limiting how many can be on one property at a time. After all, the more there are the more potential there is for them to annoy someone. And we sure have to buy a lot of candy for Halloween

Really though dealing with loud, active kids is often just part of living in a neighborhood. Just like dealing with other people's dogs barking, loud cars or motorcycles, before-you're-ready-to-get-out-of-bed-in-the-morning grass cutting (or worse -tree removal!), the occasional construction going on in the neighborhood, you're neighbor's choice of lawn decor, your neighbor not caring what their yard or home looks like, etc, etc, etc. The worst part of living in a neighborhood is that you can't pick you're neighbors. If you don't want to be annoyed by neighbors, move somewhere that the closest neighbors are far enough away to not matter. Otherwise, regardless of how many dogs your town allows, you will be annoyed or inconvenienced by neighbors at some point, in some way. Or I suppose you could move to one of those developments were everything people do is totally controlled by a home owner's association.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 AM
mutts

As long as each pet is getting sufficient vet care, diet, shelter and mental/physical stimulation (for each individual pet) then I don't think it should matter how many pets a person has. There are a lot of other dog/animal related issues to target.