Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
KEANU & SAGE!

Default Is a GSD a good Agility canidate?

I was thinking about signing Keanu up for Agility Classes. He has this obession with balls. Like he has to play with them, he constantly wants to play fetch. its kinda like, he sees it, and its his, doesnt matter who it previously belonged to. I had to stop taking him outfront when the kids would play football, because he would steal it from them.

So I was told my a trainer that i needed to find away to channel his energy, because it will not only help him bond with me, but make it more so I can....I dont wanna say control cause its such a strong word....more like listen when I request something of him. Anyway, Agility came to mind, and I was wondering if it would help?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Just try me..

Any dog who is active and enjoys working with their people is suitable for agility.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Any dog who is active and enjoys working with their people is suitable for agility.
this I love seeing all breeds and energy/drive levels running!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
KEANU & SAGE!

Does the dog have to be trained? Obviously leashed trained, but i meant, like, basic training, cause Keanu, he listens, but he gets loud and distracted in the presents of strange dogs.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post
Does the dog have to be trained? Obviously leashed trained, but i meant, like, basic training, cause Keanu, he listens, but he gets loud and distracted in the presents of strange dogs.
I have a spastic ADD dog. Agility has helped her focus sooooooooo much. You'll want to talk to the trainer at whatever facility you want to take classes at and find out what sort of prerequisite behaviors there are before starting the class.

Your dog will likely need to be able to work around other dogs without freaking out, but the trainer (if they're any good) will be able to give you strategies to help build his focus on you.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The most important thing he needs to learn first is how to handle being in a class and paying attention to what you want him to do. I'd suggest taking a basic obedience/manners class before agility, just so he gets used to training class. He'll probably also need to know sit, down, recalls, stay, watch, and a few other basic cues before starting agility.

When you do start agility, I'd also highly recommend taking a Foundations class before taking a class where you actually get on the equipment. A foundations class will, again, get him used to working in a class with other dogs and listening to you, but the exercises will be catered a little closer to what he'll actually be doing when running agility. Agility trainers will also be able to help you use that ball drive to reinforce behaviors, which you can use when you actually start doing the obsticles; basic obedience trainers will likely use primarily treats as reinforcement.

Have fun!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
KEANU & SAGE!

Jordan (younger brother) & Keanu

I actually have no set schedule for the Agility classes. I have been calling around though and pricing. Talking to the trainers and all that. Just to get a feel for it.

I have to agree with the basic obedience class, he could use it. Especially since he doesnt focus on me around distractions.

Unless you have his ball in your hand, like in the picture above. lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have to agree with the basic obedience class, he could use it. Especially since he doesnt focus on me around distractions.

Unless you have his ball in your hand, like in the picture above. lol.
Agility is TERRIBLY distracting. Most dogs are going to be unfocused in the beginning, but they still need to have SOME notion of how to focus on their handler. Many agility trainers require a basic obedience class before starting agility, I think it would be a good idea.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Just try me..

Call around and see what they want. Some foundation classes teach focus and such, others expect you to already have the basics.

(I prefer my students start in agility foundations, but then foundation one teaches you to be the most exciting thing in the environment)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM
KEANU & SAGE!

okay, i'll have to work on him with that, and see where it goes, because i'd like to get him into something he can enjoy, you know, besides fetch.