Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

I don't use anything for fleas/ticks - I've never had a problem with them. I use the Vets Best topical spray (a natural essential oils spray) if we're going into the woods or something. I use liquid Ivermectin for heartworm.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Wookie Collie

Sentinel here.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
No heartworm here and very little flea and tick issues. They don't thrive in our climate.
Lucky.

I haven't had any issue with fleas, but TICKS. ARGH. I hate spot ons, but with all the Lyme we have in this area, I do try to keep up with it on Steve (not on the bullies at all) because of the hiking. Although I picked one off Luce the other morning while she was lying in my bed. It was just walking across her chest. I HATE THEM.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Lucky.

I haven't had any issue with fleas, but TICKS. ARGH. I hate spot ons, but with all the Lyme we have in this area, I do try to keep up with it on Steve (not on the bullies at all) because of the hiking. Although I picked one off Luce the other morning while she was lying in my bed. It was just walking across her chest. I HATE THEM.
I mean we do have ticks here, but a low incidence of lyme in the ticks that are found attaching to dogs. That said, I've lived here 20 years and have never found a tick on myself or any of my dogs and we've never had fleas.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Big Dog

Here in TX we have fleas, ticks and mosquitoes HORRIBLY. In the winter I'm a little lax on the flea/tick, but always on heartworm. I used to use Heartgard and Frontline Plus, now we're starting Trifexis.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

Ticks are BAD here. Never had any flea issues, but we need stuff for ticks. I use Frontline Plus if we have it on us, but lately it tends not to work. I tend to use K9 Advantix every 2-3 months and it seems to suffice MUCH better than Frontline (for ticks).

Don't mess around with heartworm, so he gets those every month. We used to use Iverhart Plus but now he's on Interceptor.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Nothing for flea/tick..I've never seen a flea on my dogs. I've used topicals and they don't do much for ticks. I have some natural sprays I will use before going out hiking or something.

For heartworm I dose ivermectin.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Love my pets

Frontline Plus and also Iverhart Plus (since Interceptor can't be bought at this time).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
*Now with Snark*

If I happen to have a flea issue Frontline Plus and a house spray is usually what I use to kill em.

The HW can't live in our climate or mosquitoes so I don't treat for it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I don't really use anything. In the beginning of spring we usually have to deal with Fleas, but they always go away without me having to treat the dogs. But I have used frontline in the past.

HW are not an issue where I live or where I am moving, ticks are an issue where Im moving. I have no idea what Im gonna do about that. Im sure with the bull dog it will be a non issue, Teagan I probably will have to give her a good comb through after every hike. Thank God she is white

Last year Tyler always found ticks in his hair, just yuck. Im super freaked out for the day to come that I find a tick in my hair. Its gonna happen..just ewwww..

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff