Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Flea/Tick & HW - What do you use?

What do y'all use for flea/tick and heartworm meds and where's the cheapest you've found it?

I use Vectra 3D or K9 Advantix sice Frontline or Frontline Plus doesn't work around here, and they get Iverhart Plus for HW. Will be ordering from Drs Foster & Smith this year if it's not cheaper than my vet. The Vectra I usually get the biggest tube possible and figure out dosage and divide it between the crew.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
overdogged

Sentinel or Heartgard and Frontline Plus or Certifect.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

For fleas/ticks/mosquitoes. Mostly nothing.. ever since the raw switch we haven't had much of a problem (and Miami is BAD for fleas/ticks)

but we do spray them with Azmira organic neem spray once in a while, especially before walks in the park/long grass areas. Works great and repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes,
http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/azmir...eem-spray.html

Heart worm? Nothing.
They get blood work done/checked every year.. are healthy.. live indoors.. and have never had a problem with mosquitoes.
We also add a bit of garlic to their raw meals once in a while. That's supposed to help

I also check them after every walk for anything and they get brushed/baby wiped pretty often.

We used to go through HELL with my mom's dog with heart guard and k9 advantix and frontline (which did NOTHING) and it was a constant battle. These days it isn't a problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Umm... nothing. Never had a problem, it really isn't a problem in the city, and if I can avoid putting chemicals on/in her, I do.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Active Pup

We use a holistic vet and get black walnut tincture for heartworm prevention, nothing else really for fleas or ticks. I don't think there's much risk for ticks around my area though.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

I use liquid ivermectin for hearworm, every 6 weeks during the summer (late spring and early fall too). I hate useing it but heartworm is very prevalent here so....tough call.

Fleas I only treat if there is an outbreak. Hadnt had to treat for years and years until recently. Frontline plus was not working so we switched to advantage.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
orange iguanas.

Heartgard and Frontline, usually... although so far this year I haven't seen anything about our reps giving us free stuff. So I may just skip the Frontline this year since I don't have a tick/flea problem. And I think I still have some Heartgard from last year.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Used to use ivermectin, but now that Zander is 100% mine, I use nothing. Not to mention, I don't think there is much of an issue with those little buggers around here. Maybe too cold/too dry?

ETA: Our vet back in MS did say that she only wanted the dogs on Heartgaurd because it would "cover our butts" if they did happen to get it. AKA: the **** doesn't work, or ceased to in that area. But if the dogs were on it, and got it, the company would pay for vet expenses.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

I get Frontline, Heartgard and Trifexis for free. I use Trifexis in the winter and Frontline/Heartgard in the summer. I use Advantix on Gavroche if there are a lot of mosquitoes because he gets big welts from them.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Sport Model Pug

No heartworm here and very little flea and tick issues. They don't thrive in our climate.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug