Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I adore my vet. She is a sweetheart! She is always very interested in what I have to say and she loves the curly tails. Her favorite in our household though is the Autumn kitty...she has a lot of rescued cats herself and a soft spot for kitties in general.

She is very willing to learn about the special health concerns that are involved with having Menchi as a patient... so that is a pretty happy thing

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Moth; 03-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Blue_Dog

I do like my vet. He is reasonably priced and very fair. We actually found him at the annual rabies clinic thing, they charge $15 for a rabies vaccine, and my parents liked him so much that they asked for his clinic information.

When Blue was sick he was very kind and didn't charge for the extra xrays that needed to be taken nor for the fluid sample to see what was filling up in Blue's abdomen and was so kind when the diagnoses wasn't good.

With Sam's first visit as a puppy he spent some time making him feel comfortable and played with him before checking him over and doing the needles; even when Sam went in for his last check up our vet was great with making him feel welcome. Sam even remembered him and immediately went to one of the desk drawers too ask for a tennis ball. :P

I have never really talked about diet with him before but I do recall he nearly fell over when I told him I had been using some hot dog as a high-level reward for training. So I wouldn't be surprised if he was against raw.

You guys only get rabies vaccines every three years? My city requires them to be annual things. I'm jealous!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Dog View Post
You guys only get rabies vaccines every three years? My city requires them to be annual things. I'm jealous!
A lot of vets seem to be moving from every year to every 3 years now. Here anyway, not sure about other places. Rabies isn't actually required here at all by law (rabies isn't overly common here), but most vets push it anyway. None of my dogs are vaccinated for it and won't be unless we move somewhere where it's a problem or it suddenly becomes a problem here.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
orange iguanas.

Well I did like the vet we were seeing, but she doesn't work at that clinic anymore. The other ones there are fine too I just haven't really seen them enough to form an opinion.

The vets I work with... meh, they practice good medicine but they do push the vaccines and prescription diets.

My pets don't really go to the vet though so it doesn't really matter. No one cares when I don't want to vaccinate. No one asks what I feed. So there is no conflict lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I can honestly say I don't think my vet has ever asked what I feed. Except with the ferrets when I had to fill out a new patient card, it asked for what they are fed, but that has changed like 20 times since I got them LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

I don't my vet sucks. Everytime I see him, he asks if I'm feeding Royal Canin yet, and that he STILL hasn't seen any proof of Katy's vaccinations.

My Photos
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Blue_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
A lot of vets seem to be moving from every year to every 3 years now. Here anyway, not sure about other places. Rabies isn't actually required here at all by law (rabies isn't overly common here), but most vets push it anyway. None of my dogs are vaccinated for it and won't be unless we move somewhere where it's a problem or it suddenly becomes a problem here.
That would be really nice, I suppose it must be a problem here. It's required and fines can be given if your dog is found without it. Hmmm...
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I just found a vet I really like, but unfortunatly she is a vet that moves around and takes over for my regular vet who is away alot during the winter because he is a vet for dog sled races.

But I like her alot more than I like my regular vet. And of course I am moving this April and will have to find a new vet for Mitsu, and vet options arent exactly alot.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

They accept the yearly or 3 year rabies vax here

but regardless, you are supposed to buy the updated tag every year.
Which I believe is about $5.. my vet sends them to us by mail while the dogs are still covered by the 3 year vaccine
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

I love our vets (husband & wife team) They used to be with a clinic only 5 minutes from my house that was bought out by a big chain. They were unhappy there with the new policies, etc. and ended up buying a practice about 45 mins away. I was happy to find out where they were and had all the records sent to them. The groomer also moved to the new place with them. They are fantastic with dogs, were super when I had cats and are a very caring couple. They sent a sympathy card when my husband passed and always send a card with a personal handwritten note wheniever I have lost a pet. They also don't sugarcoat things and will give their honest opinion when you ask what would they do if it was their pet. They have even given me breaks on their bills when I have them do yearly checks and shots, etc. when the dogs would be there for the day for grooming. While the old place would be much more convenient for me to go to I happily go the distance so they can care for my crew.