Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Obligate carnivores, such as cats and ferrets, have much shorter "guts"/intestines. Therefore, they do not have the ability to fully digest and use the nutrients in anything other than meat. They also NEED taurine to thrive.

Carnivores/omnivores, such as humans, bears and dogs, have much longer "guts"/intestines, so they CAN digest plant materials.

That's pretty much the main difference between carnivores/omnivores and obligate carnivores. Whilst dogs would prefer meat, they can get enough out of plant material.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Obligate carnivores, such as cats and ferrets, have much shorter "guts"/intestines. Therefore, they do not have the ability to fully digest and use the nutrients in anything other than meat. They also NEED taurine to thrive.

Carnivores/omnivores, such as humans, bears and dogs, have much longer "guts"/intestines, so they CAN digest plant materials.

That's pretty much the main difference between carnivores/omnivores and obligate carnivores. Whilst dogs would prefer meat, they can get enough out of plant material.
Ok, that sounds exactly like what I have read so far Do you know what the measurements are for their digestive tracts? Or better yet, is there some sort of official body size to tract length ratio that is used to determine if a carnivore is an obligate? Or do they make that decision based off observations of their diet in the wild?

I am not questioning what you are saying and do believe you, I just want to get as many specific details and try to find as many scientific sources as I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Love My Mutt <3

The length of the small intestine and size of stomach of the obligate carnivore is about 1/2 that of the omnivore, IIRC. I *believe* in obligate carnivores, the small intestine is about 3X the length of the body, whilst in omnivores it is about 6X the length of the body.

It's late, I may just be spewing numbers It's something like 1/2, though. Generally, I think it's one of those things that scientists say, and you just believe, rather than question At least, that's what I do LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
love the fluff

Dogs are carnivores 100%.