Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM
and Spy.

Default Susan Salo?

I have a question for all the agility people out there. So Spy and I love agility, but he consistently jumps low and flat, and often takes off way too early. He knocks bars at home, and knocks a LOT of bars when we train anywhere different and he gets more excited. Sp he is not just an 'occasional' bar dropper, he is constantly knocking them down and just doesn't seem to care. For this reason I haven't pursued agility as much as I would like because I have heard from a number of people that dogs who are bar-droppers probably will always be and its not really a fix-able problem. Or if not unfix-able, it is very ingrained and the training I do would likely fall apart in a competition environment.

Anyway, someone I trust recently suggested I check out Susan Salo's jumping videos. So far I have heard really good things about them, but I would love everyone here's opinion on how good they are and if a dog like Spy can really be turned around and become a reliable, good jumper. He is so fast and loves it so much, it seems like a huge shame to give up on it

Unfortunately because I am a student and totally broke (lol), I can't afford to buy all her DVDs so I am considering the puppy foundations one. I posted an ad on craigslist to see if anyone would be willing to sell their used copy for a slightly lower price too, so maybe something will pan out there I just want to make sure that if this is what I will spend that money on (it's expensive) that it is a good investment and has worked for other people.

All input is welcome of course Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

Has he been evaluated for ETS? There are a couple shelties in my program who have that issue. It's TOUGH to work through. It's completely different from not caring about knocking bars though--it's a depth perception issue.

Edit: Here's a Linda Mecklenburg article about it: http://www.awesomepaws.us/wp-content...ffSyndrome.pdf

Last edited by CaliTerp07; 03-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Personally I would go for her regular foundation video series over the puppy jumping series. I have both her foundation and advanced jumping one. I don't have the puppy one but have been told "it's foundation jumping but it only involves jump bumps rather than jumps."
If it helps you from a financial standpoint, you can watch them on Clean Run's video on demand for fairly cheap. It's a 14 day rental. I would get a notebook and take a TON of notes while watching them. Basically the DVD is a recording of what her first round of a seminar looks like and she covers quite a bit of information. She (and Suzanne Clothier, who also has a jumping program I like and trust) came from horse jumping. Clothier's program IIRC is very similar to what they use to teach horses to jump, whereas Susan Salo developed new exercises that seem more fine-tuned for dogs and agility.

I'm sending you a PM.
ETA: Your PM box is full!! I'll try again later LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog

Last edited by Beanie; 03-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

I don't have experience with "fixing" jumping, but I have started my pup with Susan Salo's program, and have had great results so far. Granted, we haven't done a whole lot yet, and I haven't seen how she'll perform at full height and speed yet, but she is learning how to jump relaxed with a rounded back and low head.

I would recommend the Foundation Jumping DVDs (not the puppy ones though, since your dog is old enough to be jumping). Clean Run has them On Demand, so you have that as a cheaper option.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...roduct_ID=2240
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Lol, Beanie beat me with the same info. Here's a pic of my girl learning good form with a set point exercise from Susan Salo.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

A great option for getting training dvd's without buying every single one and going bankrupt is www.bowwowflix.com. It's like netflix but for dog training DVDs. I've used it for almost a year now and I looooove it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Agility freak!

Sara, with bowwowflix do they send you physical DVDs to watch or do you watch them online?

Sorry to highjack.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Has he been evaluated for ETS? There are a couple shelties in my program who have that issue. It's TOUGH to work through. It's completely different from not caring about knocking bars though--it's a depth perception issue.

Edit: Here's a Linda Mecklenburg article about it: http://www.awesomepaws.us/wp-content...ffSyndrome.pdf
No, I have never even heard of it... The weird thing is that he also hits his face on the weave poles as he goes through them I always assumed he was just so into it he didn't care (he has ran into trees and walls after balls and sticks and has knocked multiple teeth out , as well as run full out after a frisbee only to come limping back still wanting to play... lol.). I will definitely look into this, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Personally I would go for her regular foundation video series over the puppy jumping series. I have both her foundation and advanced jumping one. I don't have the puppy one but have been told "it's foundation jumping but it only involves jump bumps rather than jumps."
If it helps you from a financial standpoint, you can watch them on Clean Run's video on demand for fairly cheap. It's a 14 day rental. I would get a notebook and take a TON of notes while watching them. Basically the DVD is a recording of what her first round of a seminar looks like and she covers quite a bit of information. She (and Suzanne Clothier, who also has a jumping program I like and trust) came from horse jumping. Clothier's program IIRC is very similar to what they use to teach horses to jump, whereas Susan Salo developed new exercises that seem more fine-tuned for dogs and agility.

I'm sending you a PM.
ETA: Your PM box is full!! I'll try again later LOL.
Ok awesome I will get that one instead. I didn't know clean run offered that option and will go take a lookie after class. Please do PM me, I cleared up some space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I don't have experience with "fixing" jumping, but I have started my pup with Susan Salo's program, and have had great results so far. Granted, we haven't done a whole lot yet, and I haven't seen how she'll perform at full height and speed yet, but she is learning how to jump relaxed with a rounded back and low head.

I would recommend the Foundation Jumping DVDs (not the puppy ones though, since your dog is old enough to be jumping). Clean Run has them On Demand, so you have that as a cheaper option.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...roduct_ID=2240
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
A great option for getting training dvd's without buying every single one and going bankrupt is www.bowwowflix.com. It's like netflix but for dog training DVDs. I've used it for almost a year now and I looooove it.
I will check out this and the clean run one to compare prices and stuff, thanks! I also want to watch the Greg Derret (sp?) videos because my trainer uses his system and loves it so... Definitely interested in giving it a watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Sara, with bowwowflix do they send you physical DVDs to watch or do you watch them online?

Sorry to highjack.
No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post

Sorry to highjack.
Actual DVDs in an envelope just like netflix. You send it back in the same envelope, postage is paid already.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Actual DVDs in an envelope just like netflix. You send it back in the same envelope, postage is paid already.
I am SO signing up for that!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog