Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
petsmart people are idiots. I am thinking about dropping Lily out of her class simply because she is not learning anything and they are calling her stupid. Hannah did do great in hers though and graduated top of her class.
Any trainer who calls your dog stupid is not worth seeing. They're probably just mad that Lily's smarter than they are! Go interview an independent trainer. You'll find someone better, I guarantee it.

It just doesn't make sense to pay someone to abuse your dog!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
Any trainer who calls your dog stupid is not worth seeing. They're probably just mad that Lily's smarter than they are! Go interview an independent trainer. You'll find someone better, I guarantee it.

It just doesn't make sense to pay someone to abuse your dog!!!
We are looking into someone else actually. Lily is not stupid just stubborn. She just LOVES testing you when you are working on a new skill. It took weeks to get her to sit consistently and we are still having problems with down but are better prepared to work on them now that we know how to deal with her.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Chow Chow Lover

Quote:
bubbatd A sad experience for you and the dog !! If you dog shows any aggression at all, I would seek out other help. Chows can have an attitude that should be nipped in the bud. Only you know what his is .
Leo had his final set of shots today. While we were waiting to settle our bill, my 9 yr old daughter was walking Leo around to all the people. The people in front of me pet Leo and when my daughter led him away, the man said "He is awfully friendly for a Chow". I am doing everything I can to socialize him. I think that is the most important thing for any dog.

CreatureTeacher- thank you for your post. You sound like a very knowledgeable person. I am going to try to have this man "ruined" somehow. I have just calmed down enough to be rational and come up with a plan. My husband wasn't physical with the trainer, but the trainer knew he was really close to it!

Old 11-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Those are my favorite dogs, Julie, because they always turn out to be fabulously smart, unerringly loyal, and years of teeth-gritting fun!

Kitcatak, the best/worst thing you can do to this guy is to ruin his reputation. I worked for a woman for a year who did just that sort of thing when she "trained" dogs, and even though I saw red on their behalf and contemplated running her over in the parking lot, what I did instead was start my own business and spread the positive reinforcement around the community. She was mean, vindictive, and even threatened me with legal action (until she consulted a lawyer and realized she didn't have a leg to stand on). I was polite, congenial, and just plain better at the job than her. Last I heard, she had lost a significant percentage of her clients and was stooping to lowering her outrageous prices. If you rise above him and be the "bigger man", his misunderstanding of behavior and training will eventually crush him under its weight. Hopefully someday trainers like him will be extinct!
Old 11-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad that things are looking good for you !!! You're handling it well !
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Chow Chow Lover

The sad thing about this trainer is that I don't think he feels he did anything wrong. I don't know that I could ruin him. He doesn't own the company he works for, they are already being informed about his behavior. I can tell people not to go to their training classes, but that doesn't affect the trainer, he can always get a job elsewhere. It just bothers me that he can sit and preach about how you have to handle dogs gently and at this age anything can ruin them and then he hangs MY dog by the collar. He knew Leo was a chow before I enrolled him. He could have just said there was no room if he didn't like them.

When my husband went to talk to him, he walked in and sat down so he didn't interupt the class. The trainer asked if he could help him and Bill said "No, I have a bunch of questions, I will wait". He listened to the trainer go one about Chow's. Then he went on about how all dogs go through a time where they are a little more aggressive, trying to find out how they fit in the scheme of things. Then he said he never had a problem with Leo except on the first day (Leo didn't like him much, but just tried to get away. He didn't try to bite him or anything). This man just talks in circles. I am better off without his class and so is Leo.

Ok, after THAT speech, I guess I am not rational after all! lol

Old 11-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Top Dog

I think it's perfectly rational to want to protect your young puppy from a hoodlum who's trying to hurt him! There's just no helping some people. All you can do is make sure they can't get to your kids.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
Those are my favorite dogs, Julie, because they always turn out to be fabulously smart, unerringly loyal, and years of teeth-gritting fun!

Kitcatak, the best/worst thing you can do to this guy is to ruin his reputation. I worked for a woman for a year who did just that sort of thing when she "trained" dogs, and even though I saw red on their behalf and contemplated running her over in the parking lot, what I did instead was start my own business and spread the positive reinforcement around the community. She was mean, vindictive, and even threatened me with legal action (until she consulted a lawyer and realized she didn't have a leg to stand on). I was polite, congenial, and just plain better at the job than her. Last I heard, she had lost a significant percentage of her clients and was stooping to lowering her outrageous prices. If you rise above him and be the "bigger man", his misunderstanding of behavior and training will eventually crush him under its weight. Hopefully someday trainers like him will be extinct!

Way to go! Some people just plain suck.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Are you dead yet?

Ugh. The idiot doesn't realize that by punishing your puppy for giving a warning, he might eliminate the warning entirely and let the pup go straight to correcting (biting) the other dog. Even I, a lowly teenage pet owner, know that!

I'd say you're both better off without that trainer. I really do appreciate a trainer/behaviorist's perspective on things, but in the end, I am the one who knows, loves and lives with the dog. I know him better than any professional ever will, and if something someone wants to do goes against my better judgement, it's time for me to find someone new. I think getting 'kicked out' just helped you with that decision.

I've said it before but Leo is a stunning boy, keep up the good work with him. Chows can use every 'ambassador' they can get.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Top Dog

Oh wow! I came to this thread late. I am so sorry for what happened. I can't add much at all. CT and the others said it all. What a jerk. Yup...I shudder to think of what language would have come out of my mouth to that moron. I think that socialization that you're doing is the best thing for your dog. Keep up the good work. And that little group your vet is putting together might be great. Anyone who knows anything about dogs knows that when they're face to face, that already is a potentially threatening body position. They don't know eachother. Dogs don't readily accept new members into their "pack." It's ridiculous to think that every dog is going to get along with every dog....especially when one gets into your dogs face. The guy is a moron and should be linched.

Ok...now I'm ranting! That just makes me so angry.

I'm glad you're outta there. You can train your dog yourself with help from online things....forums, whatever if you can't find someone there. The main thing is to socialize the livin daylights out of your pup.

Things will look up. Good luck.