Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Wookie Collie

I've grown up a dog person, and have never owned cats until June Bug. Some things I have learned, both from owning June Bug and from talking to customers at work:

- Many, MANY cats have inappropriate elimination issues. Often it's just behavioural - stress, pissed off at you, changes in the house - but it can often be due to their urine pH being off even by just a tad. Generally you have to play with their diet (dry vs. wet) to get the pH back to where it should be and it's a pain in the ass. Also cranberry supplements.

- Cat poo and pee stinks. Bad. All the time. Even on a high-quality diet. Even on raw. (though the smell is much less potent on raw)

- Claw maintenance is paramount, or else furniture will be wrecked. It's very very difficult to train most cats to ONLY use their posts. We're talking nail trims once or twice a week.

That said...

- Cats are usually super playful, and they're great fun to interact with. June Bug makes me laugh on a daily basis.

- Most well-raised cats solicit affection a lot. June Bug is happy to be in our laps all. The. Time. Cat therapy is awesome in different ways than dog therapy.

- Many dogs thrive in the company of a cat, and vice versa, especially when introduced properly and taught boundaries/rules. Finnegan and June Bug took a LONG time to learn how to predict each other and how each would respond to actions, and even now they **** each other off sometimes... but they adore each other. One will always actively seek out the other if they haven't seen each other in awhile. They play "tag". They share toys. They take naps together. It's very sweet.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Cats are less demanding. If you're out all night they don't care.

Cats are more allergenic. I think.

Personally I find cats are dirtier than dogs, despite what people say. I've seen cat crap and sick in all sorts of places. At least dogs are more limited in their range lol!! I've also worked in a kennels and cattery. Dog poo is so much less..... icky.

All personalities differ. In MY experience, pedigree cats are more demanding, be it health wise, or just plain needy or vocal. But, I've met cats who are like dogs, cats like cats, needy cats, aloof cats, funny cats, irritating cats etc etc.

Cost is cheaper in terms of food, but emergency or illness is just as unpredictable and/or expensive. Again in MY experience our moggies have been cheaper than our pedigrees, but probably chance rather than reason.

Rescue vs breeder is the same as any animal... depends what you want and why you want it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

While any cat can be sweet as can be, I'm very partial to persiansd. So much so that I'll never have another cat who isn't one. They tend to be quiet and good natured, as well as very friendly.

However, the hair is crazy! Between my own and fosters, I've had five come through my place. The fist I had to keep clipped down as he was older and had never been socialized to brushing. The second, Cheshire, requires daily brushing at least twice a day when she's in coat. The first foster required a quick brush every few days, as did the second. Kitty Ezra, who just left to go to his permenant home, needed daily brushing, but not like Lady Chesh does.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I'll chime in I suppose. Since I only own a cat at the moment.

Rockefeller was not my first choice. We went there with the intentions of adopting a Siamese flamepoint mix, but an older lady adopted him first. Rock reached through the bars of the cage and put his claws into each of our pant legs, so we decided to take him to the socialization room. He was $175 because we bought a 'starter kit' type thing to help fund the shelter (they have this little store in the front of the shelter where they sell toys and clothes and things like that).
We had to pay $25 for a 5lb bag of Royal Canin gastro formula, because he had Coccidia as a kitten and it left him pretty messed up apparently.

Through trial and error, I found the best litters, the best foods, and the best way to keep my litterbox from smelling. People are usually amazed when they learn that we keep Rock's litterbox in our bedroom. It does not smell (unless he has been sneaking kibbles from our roommates' cat's bowl, which we will do sometimes) because he eats good food; he's on a dry kibble that I found at WalMart, a store brand, that scored 119 on the grading scale and I am pleased with it, and I supplement with raw meat/bones. Before he was switched to raw, he would often vomit a lot, his poops are horrible and stinky, and his litterbox was offensively apparent, so we had nobody come over usually. He's get runny poos all the time, and farted while doing it, it was ridiculous. I finally had enough and took him off the prescription diet crap. He was much better on raw. We found a litter that is made from corn, that helped the litterbox smell even before we switched his food. I've found that the same stuff that is 'World's Best Cat Litter' can be found much cheaper at stores if you look. A place here called Ren's sells corn cob litter in the small pet section for super cheap, and I bought my litter at Fortinos and it was ground up corn cobs as well. Low tracking too, which was nice.

Rockefeller is great. If heart cats exist, he is my heart cat.

Rockefeller looks identical to a Turkish Van, same markings, and exhibits many of the same behaviours. He is not afraid of water, he will even play in it if the tap is running. He won't claw or bite when bathed, either. He simply takes it. He is very talkative, particularly late at night and very early in the mornings, which is around the time I feed him. He doesn't like to eat if nobody is watching him, unless he's sneaking food from the other cat's bowl (our roommates feed Whiskas, and Rock's GI tract cannot handle it). He is terrified of the birds in the apartment. Once, the cockatiel fell on him. He has been wary of them ever since. He hates his butt being scratched, right above his tail, and that is the only time he will ever show any sort of 'aggression' towards you, and you have to be doing it for a long time before he finally decides to turn around and bite you. Though, he is weird, and will offer his rear end to you to pet. Just do not scratch.

I'm a fan of the hybrid breeds, too. I love Chausies, Bengals, Savannahs and Safaris, even Habaris are intriguing. I am partial to Orientals and Exotic Shorthairs in particular, too.

ETA: I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I will say again: Moisture in a cat's diet is extremely important. A cat's diet is arguably more strict than a dog's. Since they are obligate carnivores, they get most of their moisture from meat. Because of that, many cats will instinctively avoid water sources even though they are dehydrated. If your cat is lapping up tons of water and seeming like the thirst is never quenched, then you need to up the moisture content in the food. Canned food is best for cats if they aren't on raw. If I'm not doing raw, I do at least 50% wet food. Another sign to look for is if you ever see your kitty hit the litterbox, but they don't do anything. I once saw Rock go into the litterbox and squat but no pee came out. It never happened again but I was worried about crystals forming at the time.
I love this website, and the vet who made it for bringing attention to the issue: http://www.catinfo.org/

My Polyvore

Last edited by ravennr; 03-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Top Dog

We're also Persian people. (both of ours were found as strays) We, too, will be a Persian-only family some day. (although I think we may get an Exotic...all the fun of a Persian with less hair) They just have such great personalities. Even Falafel, who is less into being held, is still a very nice cat. I can literally just haul her around on her back if I choose to.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Soooo.... I've been *sort of* kind of considering a cat maybe in the future. I am almost feeling like it'd be more realistic than another dog. But I dunno yet, it's still just a total idea.

I definitely go through phases though. Sometimes I think I want to add another dog but then honestly, sometimes I'm very content with just Jackson. Every time I dogsit for another dog, I'm so ready for it to just be him and I again. But it could be because none of these dogs I watch are the kind of dogs I'd pick for myself, either.... so basically.... I dunno....

But anyways, I've contemplated the idea of a cat. Never was a big cat person, but I've fallen in love with my cousin's Tonkanese kittens as well as my step-sisters cat. My biggest thing was that every cat I was ever around before was so super shy, would hide away from everyone, or not want to be picked up, or pet, etc. And it just annoyed me.

Jackson is okay with cats, but will chase the ones at my dads house on occasion but that's because they run away and hiss from dogs even when the dogs don't do anything to them. And then of course the two other dogs over there totally egg him on. He's absolutely fine with the cats one-on-one and I really think if I got a dog-friendly kitten, he'd enjoy having a little buddy.

So I guess my question is... are there certain breeds of cats to look into? In regards to being friendly with people and a dog? I LOVE that the Tonkanese kittens that I know will just sit on your lap and love to be held and picked up. But they paid a hefty price for them (I think $1000 a piece or something). Or do you think just going to the shelter and finding a kitten that fits my needs would be best?

Also, I always think of cats as being cheaper in general. Is this generally the case?

Reason I'm considering a cat vs. a dog is mainly because... I really enjoy being able to take Jackson almost everywhere that he can go and it's just sooo easy with one, plus most places I go they have other dogs too and it'd simply be too much if I had two, and vacations the hotels charge for each dog/etc.

I always have a dogsitter in my dad, and he has already stated he wouldn't enjoy having a fourth (I've discovered every time I've dogsat over there that 4 is just TOO much for us). Besides I also live there now 3 nights a week while in school so it IS partially his decision too. And the kitten would be living at my moms house, and staying there while I'm gone. And I've always assumed a cat would be okay for a day or two by themselves, whereas obviously a dog wouldn't.

So I think it would be some extra love, a buddy for Jackson, a cheaper way of having a second pet, and not AS much care required as a dog.

Thoughts?
You will definitly find some great cats in a shelter. I've been volunteering at mine and that made me love cats almost as much as dogs. Cats vary in temperament, many of them love to snuggle while there were ones who just did not want to be held, only petted. Going to a shelter will make finding a cat with the best personailty for you easier.

I've also been considering adding a cat for my next pet, rather than a dog. I want to go through a breeder route though. I, too, am not a fan of most cats because many of them are shy to anyone who isn't there owner, scardy-cats, too independent, not very playful. The cat breeds I'm interested in are more dog-like in personailty. They are the Sphnyx, Abyssinian, the Devon Rex, and a couple of others that I can't remember right now. The Sphynx cats are describe as friendly to pets and people, pretty active, and very affectionate, one of the most affectionate of all cats. Abbys are very active, pure joy of the cat world, but from what I read of them they most wouldn't fancy being cuddle or held for too long. The price for them is pretty expensive, going up to the 1000. Overall, cats are less expensive to take care of then dogs. I really want a Sphynx cat right now, but that wont be possible until much later in the future. Hopefully I'd be able to live through someone...

A couple of videos...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Ha0D-iuVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiZhhstVgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSr7cjuDlfo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fklNi...AE9806D31852A8

Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the great information.

I'm not making any quick decisions, for sure. I think I'd like to spend some more time with some kittens before committing to owning one.

I hadn't ever heard of really getting a cat from a breeder until recently, to be honest. And I must say, I am just in LOVE with the Tonkinese brothers that my cousin got. Oh and I was wrong they paid $600 for each, not $1000. Still a hefty price tag tho. lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Oh and yes, the litter box would definitely be something that would suck. lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
You could have a cat that is allowed out for toileting or, there's a few self cleaning litter trays, well, to a point obviously, but they definitely make the job easier!

My Photos
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
I don't think it's bad at all. Maybe it's just me. We keep ours in the laundry room and you can't smell it. I scoop it every night, but my cat doesn't really go to the bathroom very often anyway so I guess that helps. He's clean too, we do sometimes get cats at work that always manage to pee halfway out of the box.... that's when it starts to smell, when they get it anywhere but ON the litter.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013