Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Twin 2

Default Do you let your dog(s) off leash....

illegally?

I was thinking about that today while I was illegally letting Traveler run around a baseball field off leash. We have a rather strict leash law in writing (not enforcedreally though, or at least I haven't been arrested yet) where your dog isn't allowed off leash or on any line over 10 feet long.

I let Traveler off leash the stage area behind my house all the time (though not if anyone is there). I let him off leash in soccer and baseball fields by a school I bike at. Again, not if anyone is actively in the field, though lots of people walk by with dogs, kids and so on.

I let him off leash at a pond to swim that's along a bike path I'm on (again, not if someone is fishing or standing there but people walk by) and on a dock off of a park.

He's become very reliable off leash and so I don't worry but I wonder about what others think. I try to show control by putting him in downs from a distance if I see someone coming with a dog and I walk over and sit down by him until they are passed.

I always feel hypocritical because if I see someone with an off leash dog I'm watching like a hawk and pretty much being judgmental until I can tell it's completely under control

So, do you guys let your dogs off leash in places that aren't off leash places? Or do you mind when someone else's dog is offleash if they have it completely under voice control?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

We don't have any illegal places here, thankfully, so no. I probably would let them off though if I knew they would behave.

My Photos
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Um well... pretty sure we have a leash law... and by laws state that her leash can't be longer than 10 feet (or something like that), and must be held by your hand, not attached to you any other way.

Rosey is off leash often, her leash is 15 feet, and it's hands-free (goes around my waist). I have yet to have a cop actually say anything to me, though... they usually just love on her

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Sort of.

When we work on heeling at parks, I usually have Elsie on a drag line. She's fast enough that if she wanted to, she could take off, though.

Mostly I don't let her off-leash. She's too fast, and we're usually too close to traffic for me to risk it. Plus, she barks at strangers sometimes (like, one out of a hundred people gets one woof--we're working on it) and I don't want her getting pepper sprayed in the face because of my stupidity (that and it's not fair to the stranger who is potentially getting woofed at).

Zobby never, ever gets off-leash time. His favorite game is not coming when called, followed closely by chasing small animals, so we don't trust him.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Yes I do let him off leash, but only in empty areas where I can see all around.

And no I don't mind at all when people have their dogs offleash "illegally." In fact it makes me happy to see.

I don't even mind if the dog is not under control just as long as it isn't too obnoxious... if I'm not with Roman I actually enjoy a polite visiting dog.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I don't even mind if the dog is not under control just as long as it isn't too obnoxious... if I'm not with Roman I actually enjoy a polite visiting dog.
I came off sounding like a jerk when I said how judmental I am, so I wanted to clarify:

Typically if I'm out somewhere that someone would have a dog off leash I have Traveler and am biking. We've had a lot of close calls with dogs going after us because we're moving fast so I'm always hyper aware
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Kind of. I have a 5 foot piece of boating rope clipped to his harness when he's swimming.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
such sights to show you

Only Pip, and only in very specific areas where we are away from traffic and most other people. The others... BAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Cloudcandy

I'm actually not completely sure about laws and leashes in general.
I do let her out at onto the back of my estate without a leash sometimes,it depends on her mood,if I have treats etc.She behaves but there was one occasion where she heard a noise late at night and let out a howwwwlll and almost ran over to investigate,however she came when called.
I guess I kind of am like you in the sense when I see a dog off lead I'm all 0_0 "Hmmmmmm whats going on here..ahem....wheres the owner....what are you doing....is it looking at us...oh wait is he coming over...."I would never let Coco out of my site off lead and I generally am not happy with being approached by a dog off lead when I can't see their owner.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

When it comes to empty random spaces (baseball fields, back lots, along walking trails etc..) I don't care. If they clean up after their dogs and their dog isn't a nuisance.. whatever.. I say go by ear. Not that many people around/close by (like a crowded park), it's safe and your dog is under control.. I don't see the harm.

but when it comes to parks.. personally, it hits a nerve.

because THE OWNER might know that their dog is under control, but I don't. So even just as a dog owner, my lovely walk in the park is interrupted because I have to watch this other dog.
I also think it's unfair for people who have kids playing or who picnic in the park.. because yea, your dog might be 100% reliable and under control.. but they don't know that and better safe than sorry, it's not a risk they might want to take and they shouldn't have to.

Plus other (perhaps even other not responsible/off leash reliable dogs/owners) see this and think "Oh, obviously off lead dogs are ok!" and then it becomes a problem.
Especially being from the city, where green space isn't widely available.. I HATE when people don't obey the rules when it comes to dogs.
because if there is a problem.. dogs get banned from the park PERIOD. and that sucks.

Do I let my dog run off leash in parks that are on-lead only? No.
My dog is very reliable off lead, he never goes that far.. but I don't want to make other people uncomfortable or get all the dogs in the park in trouble.

Not to mention, Romeo was attacked and nearly killed by a dog at an on-lead park. He was off leash because "he saw other people doing it and assumed it was ok", the regulars at the park who go off-leash have VERY VERY well trained dogs.. but he didn't know that. and monkey see. monkey do.

but other kinds of places? I kind of go by ear. In very empty walking paths, back lots, random fields.. ya. There are no other people/other dogs around so eh.. I usually do if I think it's safe and we are alone.