Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

Training classes... literally barely anything. He's done one agility class at $150 so that's it. lol. Everything else I taught at home.

However, this year I REALLY wanna do a nosework class or dock diving. So we shall see.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Behavior Nerd

When I was taking weekly agility classes with two dogs it was running about $1800/yr, but now that I'm taking classes with 4 dogs less regularly I'm not quite sure how much it adds up to and I'm not sure I want to know. Thankfully I just got approval to become a member of the local dog training club, so after my intern period is up in a few months all my classes there will go from $75/dog to $0/dog!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I don't want to know. lol
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Between assisting when we had rally classes, and now running the run thrus, I get free classes. I added up what it would have cost me and came up with $1,220. That's for 1 dog.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Bite me.

I hate to count. Are we talking yearly? Several thousand, unfortunately. My club dues are $400 a year, but we travel often to train. So plane, hotel, rental car, etc. And club is $25 of gas twice a week.

Ugh I need a job.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
mutts

$0.00!! I did it all myself. Hard work but I am enjoying it. I don't agree with a lot of trainers in my area (just the local PetSmart personel that have literally no idea what they are doing) so I decided to do it on my own and my dog knows all basic commands. That's all I really need from her anyway even though I think flyball would be really fun for her and myself to learn. Also, she is OBSESSED with frisbees. Something to think about
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Those of us paying lots of money mostly compete, big difference.

I refuse to count. Counting my feed alone for tax purposes was painful enough.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Those of us paying lots of money mostly compete, big difference.

I refuse to count. Counting my feed alone for tax purposes was painful enough.
Ugh...competitions. Yeah, add on more money, our big ones are all out of the state or out of the country. Last June we traveled to Belgium to compete. NOT cheap.

I have a "buying food" rule. I absolutely CANNOT buy horse feed and dog food at the same time, I get so depressed.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
When I was taking weekly agility classes with two dogs it was running about $1800/yr, but now that I'm taking classes with 4 dogs less regularly I'm not quite sure how much it adds up to and I'm not sure I want to know. Thankfully I just got approval to become a member of the local dog training club, so after my intern period is up in a few months all my classes there will go from $75/dog to $0/dog!
I get free training classes (now) but spent at least 1300 on classes before that. I was actually getting really sad because I didn't think I'd be able to do training for everyone because of costs. So yeah, $0/dog FTW. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
I hate to count. Are we talking yearly? Several thousand, unfortunately. My club dues are $400 a year, but we travel often to train. So plane, hotel, rental car, etc. And club is $25 of gas twice a week.

Ugh I need a job.
My total is from the amount of time that I've been in formal training classes - about two years. And I forgot about the cost of gas. I don't even want to add that up.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
$0.00!! I did it all myself. Hard work but I am enjoying it. I don't agree with a lot of trainers in my area (just the local PetSmart personel that have literally no idea what they are doing) so I decided to do it on my own and my dog knows all basic commands. That's all I really need from her anyway even though I think flyball would be really fun for her and myself to learn. Also, she is OBSESSED with frisbees. Something to think about
I envy you a bit because I just couldn't do it... frankly I lack the discipline to train very effectively on my own. I benefit a great deal from the structure of a class and being answerable to someone else (even though they don't really have authority over me, in my head they do and I've spent the money, dangit! ).

Although... I also like that they are regularly exposed to different groups of dogs and people in classes, and I've tried some things like agility (just "for fun" classes so far) and nosework that I wouldn't have been able to do on my own. I guess I am doing all the mushing training myself, but that's a bit different. It's not that hard to teach your dog who already likes to pull, to pull.