Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

EMC. What Serena was saying is correct. People who breed "larger" or "smaller" dogs than what the Chihuahua is supposed to be according to Standard (there are actual ranges that need to be followed if you ARE breeding for the betterment of the breed, and if you aren't, well then you are indeed an irresponsible owner).

And your comment about not breeding Chihuahuas because they don't conform to the standard..I disagree strongly with this remark. A responsible and reputable breeder will only breed dogs for the betterment of the breed, combining careful and selective breeding, like Serena mentioned. If a dog is too large or too tiny and they are being bred regardless, they are simply backyard breeding the dogs and have absolutely no knowledge of the breed or whats best for it, to begin with. If a breeder is truely a responsible one, they will do thorough health checks on the dogs, including hips, thyroid, gawd only knows how many other exams are involved.....and only when the dog is proven to be completely healthy and stable, only then are these dogs bred, in turn decreasing the chance of having a dog with genetic or health problems...of course it is a dog, and dogs get sick just like people..so we can't expect some sort of a robot. But, a good breeder will and does ensure that the quality of the breed will increase, not decrease...or they just don't breed at all.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

Well said.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 AM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Mine is only 5 pounds. The standard says it shouldnt weigh more than 6..
Old 04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Active Pup

There are many bone sizes of Chi's, my last one was fine boned, she weighed 6 lbs., my new one is broad, and not as fine boned, she is reg. and she will weigh ever bit of 9 to 9.5 lbs when she is grown, it is the AKC that sets the standards, which mean nothing to my Chi., she is loved and she is all Chi.,

Donna
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Chihuahua Mum

My boy is underweight because he's ill, however he weighs a bit over 4lbs now (should be up over 5...I'm trying to get him to put on weight..but it's a slow process).

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Wow, this is an old thread.

Chihuahua breed standard says that chis should weigh between 2-6lbs. A responsible breeder will not breed a bitch over 6lbs.. and the dog should weigh less than the bitch. Even if both parents' weights fall within the breed standard, they can still have puppies larger than 6lbs and smaller than 2lbs (unlikely, though, that they'd be under 2lbs). This does not mean that these dogs are not purebred... they are just out of their breed standard for weight. However, most puppies born will weigh between 4-6lbs...

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Salty Sea Dog

old thread or not, the 3 chihuahuas in my.
dodger is 3.2lbs full grown, healthy weight.
Vixie is 5.4lbs full grown, healthy weight
Rosie if 4.9lbs almost full grown, healthy weight (she should be about 5lbs full grown)

there are MANY chihuahuas out there that dont conform to breed standard. and they shouldnt be bred. plain and simple.
Just wanted to add, THANK YOU for saying no to that guy and getting your girl spayed! this breed is prone to c-sections and other problems even with extreem work to assure otherwise. least your girl is safe and going to be with you a long time as your loving pet!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Puppy Dog

Like the Maltese should weigh between (4to 7 pds) A reputable breeders pups will most likely stay within that weight. There are some who come from reputable breeders and weigh more but it's not alot. Nemo is 10 pds and he is from a petshop (Before I knew the whole puppymill thing) he is not bred well he is all maltese, but not standard..Do I care, no... but my next dog will be from a reputable breeder..
Andrea

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think of you
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Squishy22

My ex boyfriend has a 4 pound chi. I personally wouldnt buy a chi under 4 pounds because health problems are increased the smaller they are. I wouldnt buy a chi over 6 pounds because I would consider the breeder a byb.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Madison weighs 6.5lbs, Rylie weighs 3.5lbs, and Chloe weighs 5.5lbs

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep