Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Piper was spayed at around 6 months and has had no personality changes whatsoever. She LOVES other dogs, always has.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM
mutts

Kady-- your pits are STUNNING!!
I just love the way my pups personality is.... I would never want her to change because of a surgery.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 AM
APBT crazy!

None of my females I have had never had any personality changes after being spayed.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

All of my females have been spayed..none have had any behavioral changes. I'd certainly wait until she was a year, if you can safely keep her contained when she's in heat, but aside from that, I'd have no concern .

I'd wonder if the people whose dogs had behavior changes had their dogs spayed young and it was just the behavioral changes they'd normally have gone through anyway as they aged?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 AM
mutts

Grab-- that's a very good likelihood. A lot of vets push a person to spay/neuter as early as 8 weeks!! That's craziness. I wanted to wait until she is at least full grown physically to have her fixed. Theres a very low chance of her getting pregnant... I don't have any other dogs and we have a fenced in back yard (secure). Not that it would be impossible....
I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons and do what is right for her AND my family!
Leaning towards the surgery at this point...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I worried about the same thing when I was trying to make a decision to spay Cricket. She is nearing a year and a half now and is getting spayed next Monday. I'm nervous about it and it will be interesting to see if she has any changes. Making the decision to go ahead and spay her was a hard decision for me. I wanted to keep her intact as long as possible, but with as often as she is out in public with me it makes more sense for me to go ahead and alter her. I work at a dog daycare and there are tons of altered females here that show no signs of aggression. I think it is really going to depend on the individual dog.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 03-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I'd wonder if the people whose dogs had behavior changes had their dogs spayed young and it was just the behavioral changes they'd normally have gone through anyway as they aged?
I've wondered this too. Not so much in the cases of older dogs but in the 6 month to 2 range. I noticed no difference when Mu got spayed - even though she developed reactivity shortly thereafter I know the cause and it had nothing to do with spaying. However, her personality changed a TON from 6 months to now (mostly for the better lol).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Top Dog

Certain types of dog aggression may increase with spaying but that doesn't mean spaying will cause them. If you are weighing the risks and benefits of altering, this is a very good resource:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
Kady-- your pits are STUNNING!!
I just love the way my pups personality is.... I would never want her to change because of a surgery.
Thanks

Honestly, I've never seen a dogs personality change negatively after being altered. I've only seen and heard of positive things!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post

Well, I know on my experience my girl was 6 years and suffered extreme changes.

To be honest I actually always assumed the opposite from you and figured either people attributed changes in dogs spayed young to growing up and/or if spayed young you never do get to find out what spaying effected because they were altered right from the start, therefor never changed.