Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Default Fila People- Need Help

It's been a while since I've visited the forums here, but when this situation was brought to my attention this is the 1st place I thought of.

A guy who works with my wife has a Fila that has recently started attacking small furry dogs. Only small furry ones, they probably look like prey to him. He's killed 2 in the last couple months. I don't know how he's getting to them, or any background on the situation, only that the owner is pretty desparate at this point. He's probably being sued and all that stuff.

He needs to rehome the dog, and I know this will be difficult due to the breed's traits. The dog is 2 1/2 yrs old, probably just finishing his growth and maturity.

I told them I'd ask here for any advice- especially if you guys know of rescues or someone who might be interested in adopting the dog. We still have a full house here and are not in a position to take the dog. I bet this furry animal aggression is something that could be trained out of the dog with the right person. I dont' know the person who owns the dog, and have never seen the dog. He's got 5 kids and the dog is fine with them.

Any help is appreciated as always!

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

Umm.. I know you don't know the situation but first things first that dog needs to be CONTAINED.
Higher fence, better door, not leaving the yard, shorter leash, control collar, kennel run.. I don't know but something needs to be done in the mean time because a dog getting out and killing not once but TWICE is simply irresponsible and is going to get that dog killed! (not to mention the poor owners of these small dogs!)

Now, I would start with emailing FILA specific rescues
Rising Phoenix Mastiff Rescue
http://www.risingphoenixmastiffrescue.com/ for example
Try to look for mastiff/fila experienced rescues in your area, even if they can just list the dog

I would ask the family to get some good pictures of the dog as well as traits, size, age, health and HISTORY of how these events occurred.

This dog will be hard to adopt out for sure.. Adult filas are tough period but with a history of killing other dogs :/

So I would start with the pictures and such, email some rescues and I'm sure some chaz people can cross post and try to find a fila/dog savvy home without small pets.

The more pictures/information you can get, the better! Video is great too if you can make your way to their home or if they can get a video of the dog interacting with the kids/being generally well behaved.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Twin 2.0

Find out the background if you can; if these little dogs are just running upto him and he has a snack, then that's something that can be managed.

Also, with these guys, a rescue more experienced with LGD's would probably be better suited to the Fila temperament, as many mastiff reduces have gotten too used to the big marshmallow English mastiffs and don't know what to think or how to screen for a Fila.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Felurian

You've gotten good advice so far, Dan

Seriously, if the dog is contained and the small dogs are coming into his space, it's a shame and it's sad, but it's game on. It is odd behavior though, for a Fila.

Oh, and have they contacted the breeder? The breeder should be ready to take the dog back.

Please tell me they didn't get the dog from Paul in Turtletown TN, or from someone who bred a dog they got from him.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
...ice road...

Where is the dog located? I know Dianna of De La Luna kennels (http://www.delalunakennel.com/) will assist in placements.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

thanks for the replies so far, i knew this was the place to come for help! i'll find out more tomorrow. i did learn that he hasn't killed any dogs, but he's definitely attacked them.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Taxiderpy

I'd go through Dianna if possible. The first link posted are not nice people.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I'd go through Dianna if possible. The first link posted are not nice people.
Sorry, I have no experience in the area. I got the link from a forum where they were suggested for a rescue fila in a similar situation
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Sorry, I have no experience in the area. I got the link from a forum where they were suggested for a rescue fila in a similar situation
No worries! Nobody has any control over what google puts out.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

I got some more info today.

The dog is 2 1/2 and neutered. The family lives on 1.5 acres that is fully fenced. There is a gate at the driveway. The owner's parents came over, opened the gate to come in, and usually the dog sits and watches as they come in. This time there was a small dog running loose and when the gate was opened, the Fila took off after it and attacked it. The prior incident was 8 months ago.

The wife is apparently not much of a dog person and while she's not forcing him to get rid of the dog, it's something they are considering. Personally I think this is a pretty easy training issue to resolve, but it's their choice on what to do.

I'll forward him the info you guys have provided.