Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Where the heck in BC is that the law? Is it new? This totally flew over my head and that scares me!
I believe its just in Vancouver, but don't quote me on that, because in Sparwood, BC there is no law.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

Nope, Vermont is another state that does not allow laws based on breed of dog; dangerous dog laws can only apply to a dog with a history of dangerous behavior.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
Do you guys have laws for what the city has deemed "dangerous breeds?"

Our city specifies that dogs have to be licensed and the fee for "dangerous breeds" per year is $255 for intact "dangerous dogs" and $204 for desexed "dangerous dogs."

The definition of dangerous dog here other than dogs that have a bite history is

"a Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull,
Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire
Terrier, or any dog of mixed breeding which
includes any of these breeds; or any dog which
has the appearance and physical characteristics
predominantly conforming to the standards for
any of the above breeds"

Also, this is what gets to me. It says that ALL dogs of the above mentioned breeds must be on a leash and muzzled at all times unless in your own private property.

What do you guys think about that law?? I don't think all pit mixes should be muzzled when out in public. That's just ridiculous...
Yeah I thought it was funny when I saw that in the bylaws too. I've never seen a muzzled pit bull here. Seen them at the dog park though lol
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Where the heck in BC is that the law? Is it new? This totally flew over my head and that scares me!
That's Richmond, I think Coquitlam or Burnaby has a similar one. (Vancouver I believe has no pit bull bylaw)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm All Ears

Oklahoma prohibits BSL however some cities try to pass it anyways. I know Midwest City had a big lawsuit over their pit bull ban and it was ruled that the city could not ban the breed.

There was an attempt to remove the part of the law that disallowed BSL but it was also struck down.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think it's everywhere in Greater Vancouver. I checked the Richmond website where I live.

Just checked, Metro Vancouver has the same by-laws.

"In the City of Vancouver, any of the five pit bull breeds and cross breeds are automatically considered a vicious dog under the Animal Control By-Law."

" Vicious dogs are defined as any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack without provocation other domestic animals or humans; any dog which has bitten another domestic animal or human without provocation; or a Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or any dog of mixed breeding which includes any of the aforementioned breeds. Regulations pertaining to vicious dogs require the animals to be muzzled in public or confined either indoors or in an enclosed pen when on private property."
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
That's Richmond, I think Coquitlam or Burnaby has a similar one. (Vancouver I believe has no pit bull bylaw)
I believe all of Greater Vancouver to my knowledge has one. Metro Vancouver definitely has one. I just checked. It's the exact same as Richmond.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

I don't believe we do. I just moved into this city, so I could be wrong, though.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

I was browsing and looking for information on this. Washington is such a nanny state.The city I live in though, does not have any ban, but there sure are a lot in other cities. In fact, the city next to me has a ban. I was surprised that many of the places were in central and eastern Wa. where it is far more countryish and more conservative...farm type people who you'd think would be up in arms about this type of thing where a government entity can dictate what kind of dog someone can and can not have. Maybe there are just more ignorant people who fall for this dangerous breed stuff. I don't know.
I was reading about one city, Royal City where you can't even drive through with a Rottweiler in your car. Good heavens! What a dictatorship we're getting to be. What if it's in a crate and it's lower than the windows... and they can't see the dog? LOL.

bsl faq sheet
bsl state-by-state
constitutionality
decisions
Washington breed-specific laws ::
If you know of a pit bull ordinance that is not listed here, please send us a link to the ordinance or published news article so that we can update this web page: [email protected].
Dangerous dog ordinances
Pit Bull Ordinances in Washington
City Website View Ordinance Type of Ordinance
Auburn Section: 6.35 Fighting breeds declared "potentially dangerous" including: Akita, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Dogue de Bordeaux, Kuvasz, Pit Bull Terrier, Presa Canario, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Tosa Inu
Buckely Section: 9.30.090 Bans: pit bulls
Cathlamet Section: 6.10.020 Bans: pit bulls
Connell Section: 8.08.010 Pit bulls declared "dangerous"
Enumclaw Section: 7.08 Bans: pit bulls
Everett Section: 6.08.010 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous" | 1987 ordinance
Kennewick Section: 8:02.320 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous"
Moses Lake Section: 6.06 Pit bulls, rottweilers and presa canarios declared "hazardous"
Pasco Section: 8.02.320 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous"
Prosser Section: 6.40.010 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous"
Quincy Section: 8.06.010 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous"
Othello Section: 6.06.010 Bans: pit bulls
Raineer Section: 6.04.020 Pit bulls declared "potentially dangerous"
Rosalia Animal control Bans: pit bulls
Royal City Section: 6.04.020 Bans: pit bulls and rottweilers
Seatac Section: 6.05.120 Pit bulls declared "dangerous"
Selah Section: 5.07.080 Bans: pit bulls
Toppenish Section: 6.06 Pit bulls declared "dangerous"
Wapato News article Bans: pit bulls, rottweilers, mastiffs, and American bulldogs.
Yakima Section: 6-18 Bans: pit bulls
Related materials:
American Dog Owners v. Yakima
search site

DogsBite.org

join our email list
Join the DogsBite.org email list for alerts, news and more.

Find a Dog
Bite Lawyer
In the Attorney
Directory at
DogsBite.org
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

What happens if you happen to be passing through a city with a pit bull ban by car?? What if there's no other way for you to get to wherever you need to go with your dog?

Really a person can't be expected to go through all the cities and go around all the ones with pit bans to get to where they want!!!