Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Sturdy X-pen

Anybody out there have a favorite? Looking to start using an X-pen as an alternative to a crate for Keeva, especially when I'm not able to take her to work. I've never bought an X-pen before and I'm wondering if just any pen will do, or if there are brands I should seek out/avoid.

Must hold up to crazy corgi-ness. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Behavior Nerd

I've always heard good things about the Midwest brand - I <3 their crates so I would think the expens would be of similar quality. I have an expen that has a regular wire mesh topper which I really like, but it's prob better for outdoor vs indoor use as the bottom edges are designed to poke into ground and thus can scratch regular floors. I've used it indoors on carpet without issue, but puppies + carpet = baaaad. LOL

Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Is she a climber? Cider can climb out of a 4ft pen in 30 seconds flat.. Smudge was a good boy in one for years.. till a JRT trial last year I think. Racing was happening in his sightline. He escaped to go race. Now that he knows he can leave.. I can't trust him to stay. Even with back issues he got out..

Dekka has a good system. Transformed a 4ft xpen into lids for multiple pens for her JRT escapees..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Is she a climber?
Not yet... LOL. She's never really been in a position to want to climb so far though.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Lord Cynical

Just warning you, Revy could climb a 36" expen at 16 weeks. I use Precision brand expens, but if I'm using it to contain a corgi I always put a homemade top on it.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I have 2 Midwest Xpens...a 42" and a 30". They seem to have held up well...I use the 36" one for trials and it was a "bunny pasture" outdoors for the last month prior to completion of the tractor, and it's held up well.

As other have said, if you have a climber or a potential climber you will need a roof. For a dog who doesn't realize the top is an exit, a clothspinned sheet can serve as a visual deterrent. I have a wire fitted top and have also used a large piece of plywood.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Payton has learned he can jump out of a 42". Sigh. I need to get or make a lid. >=|

I have two Midwest ex-pens and one of those plastic playpens (they sell them at PetSmart, it's exactly the same as the one at Toys R Us except the PetSmart one has a puppy instead of a kid on the box and it's more expensive.) The plastic one we used inside in the kitchen, when we had baby puppies and when they needed to be contained while cooking dinner or whatever. The wire Midwest ones are both for outside use.
The plastic one is much shorter, so it's probably too small for Keeva at this point. Even baby Georgie got to where she could almost jump out of it before she was old enough to be trusted to be left out. She has mad hops. ;P It's also big and clunky and kind of unsightly. I do really like it for baby puppies though, because there's not really much for them to get paws caught on.
Payton could jump up on it and make it go sliding across the linoleum kitchen floor though. =P ohhhhh Payton.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog