Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Everything is "yes/no ma'am", "yes/no sir". It is the way I was raised and it is disrespectful around her to NOT say ma'am/sir.

When a kid says to their mom/dad "what?" instead of "ma'am/sir?" it makes me cringe, just because I was taught otherwise lol
I used to work for the US government, and the kids, were ALWAYS to talk to adults in the manner of "Mr. (first name)" or "Ms/Mrs (first name)". It was out of respect, but it drove me crazy haha

Being called Ma'am annoys me, but not as much as "my dear" or "sweetie" or "sweetheart" or "love". I get called those ALL THE TIME at work... I don't mind it so much from my regulars, but random people? Annoys me so much

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

YES! I hate "ma'am"! I would seriously almost rather be called "hey you!"

I was raised to be extremely respectful to adults. I don't understand why "Yes, please" and "No, thank you" aren't sufficient, or "No, Mrs. S" and "Yes, mom, sorry mom", etc.

I always ask kids to stop calling me "ma'am". It just makes me ridiculously uncomfortable.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm from Texas, what do you think? LOL

We teach our kids yes/no ma'am/sir. And our kids call all adult friends Miss/Mr (first name).

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
APBT crazy!

I don't really mind it. Atleast the person has good manners, lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

I think it's absolutely adorable when kids say sir and ma'am. If I were trying to get a strangers attention I don't know what else I'm supposed to say besides "excuse me ma'am". I don't ever hear people say yes ma'am and no ma'am though, not around here but I wouldn't care if someone did. Like I said I think it's cute when kids do it.

The only thing I don't like is when I go to the school my mom works at to help out in after-school programs and my mom has the kids call me Ms. *last name*. Fist of all that's basically what they call my mom, except she's Mrs. so it's sort of confusing for everyone. Second, I'm not used to being called that so I probably end up ignoring kids until they say it like four times. Third, I'm not actually their teacher so there is no reason for them not to call me Erin. On the occasions where I introduce myself as Erin my mom interjects saying "but you will call her Ms. *last name*". I think it's stupid...calling me Ms. isn't going to suddenly make them have respect for me. It's like my mom didn't like me calling my friends dad Tim, I was supposed to use Mr. *last name* even though he specifically told us to call him Tim.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
I'm from Texas, what do you think? LOL

We teach our kids yes/no ma'am/sir. And our kids call all adult friends Miss/Mr (first name).
That's interesting, I thought that was a mid-atlantic thing (the Miss/Mr. first name)

What do you do as an adult? I ask because my husband was raised that way, but now it's super awkward as an adult to still call someone "Miss Vicky" or "Mr. Paul". It just makes me feel like he's 12 years old again. For some reason calling people Mr./Mrs. last name doesn't do that to me--maybe because then it goes both directions (i.e. other adults at work all call me Mrs. S----- as well)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That's interesting, I thought that was a mid-atlantic thing (the Miss/Mr. first name)

What do you do as an adult? I ask because my husband was raised that way, but now it's super awkward as an adult to still call someone "Miss Vicky" or "Mr. Paul". It just makes me feel like he's 12 years old again. For some reason calling people Mr./Mrs. last name doesn't do that to me--maybe because then it goes both directions (i.e. other adults at work all call me Mrs. S----- as well)
At least here, the adults always just used the first name, unless talking to their kids, then they'd use ms/mr. Like, "go ask Ms. Jessica"

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

If it is an adult conversation, we just use first names. But if I am talking to any of the kids, I will say "we are going to Miss Jessica's house"

As an adult it is different using the Miss/Mr (first name) vs (last name) I think because most of the adults that our kids call Miss/Mr our good friends with us. But if I use their last name, it is because as adults we are not really on a first name friend basis. So Mr./Mrs./Miss (last name) is more formal than Mr./Miss (first name). I think the Mr./Miss distinguishes them from the same level as the kids, and puts a little more respect towards the adults. I don't know if I am explaining it well.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I make SO much fun of Jes when she's hear and calling everyone ma'am and sir. She tells me when I say ma'am it always comes out sounding sarcastic so it's better that I don't say it
BWUAHAHHAAA! If I say ma'am it IS sarcastic.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Everything is "yes/no ma'am", "yes/no sir". It is the way I was raised and it is disrespectful around her to NOT say ma'am/sir.

When a kid says to their mom/dad "what?" instead of "ma'am/sir?" it makes me cringe, just because I was taught otherwise lol

That being said, there have been quite a few times when I've been out west or up north and they thought I was completely disrespectful because I was using ma'am or sir. One of my aunts told me to stop saying yes ma'am to her because she was not old, but I just CAN'T DO IT. haha

This.

Here in southern Louisiana, it's standard terminology. To me it sounds polite and courteous.