Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Default do you find being called Ma'am annoying?

I don't know why but every now and then when someone is trying to get my attention or after purchasing a product somewhere a man always calls me ma'am, some women do it to. I know it's being a polite, but i get annoyed. I usually just let it roll off my back and just give a slight nod and go on about my business, but sometimes it's just as annoying as someone running their fingernails across the chalkboard! .
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Twin 2

Well, I don't typically get called Ma'am but it doesn't bother me if or when I do. Or Miss for that matter.

I figure it's more polite than HEY YOU. And if someone doesn't know my name how else are they going to get my attention?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Well, I don't typically get called Ma'am but it doesn't bother me if or when I do. Or Miss for that matter.

I figure it's more polite than HEY YOU. And if someone doesn't know my name how else are they going to get my attention?
I don't mind Miss maybe i am weird like that lol
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Slave to the Aussie

As long as someone is not shouting "hey asshole" i really don't mind what they call me
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

nope doesn't bother me one bit. I kind of like it actually lol. I AM a Ma'am

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Wild At Heart

Everything is "yes/no ma'am", "yes/no sir". It is the way I was raised and it is disrespectful around her to NOT say ma'am/sir.

When a kid says to their mom/dad "what?" instead of "ma'am/sir?" it makes me cringe, just because I was taught otherwise lol

That being said, there have been quite a few times when I've been out west or up north and they thought I was completely disrespectful because I was using ma'am or sir. One of my aunts told me to stop saying yes ma'am to her because she was not old, but I just CAN'T DO IT. haha

Harleigh <3
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Everything is "yes/no ma'am", "yes/no sir". It is the way I was raised and it is disrespectful around her to NOT say ma'am/sir.

When a kid says to their mom/dad "what?" instead of "ma'am/sir?" it makes me cringe, just because I was taught otherwise lol

That being said, there have been quite a few times when I've been out west or up north and they thought I was completely disrespectful because I was using ma'am or sir. One of my aunts told me to stop saying yes ma'am to her because she was not old, but I just CAN'T DO IT. haha
I make SO much fun of Jes when she's hear and calling everyone ma'am and sir. She tells me when I say ma'am it always comes out sounding sarcastic so it's better that I don't say it
Old 03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Backward_Cinderella

I hate it when people call me ma'am, I think it comes from having been an enlisted soldier, but holy crap on a cracker does that crap ever irritate me... ESPECIALLY when I know they know my name! UGH!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

I dont like ma'am but understand in certain situations why it is used...I have used it before as well in those circumstances.

Personally, I cant STAND when children are taught to call their parents ma'am/sir. I think it a weird formal that has no place in a child to parent relationship. Then again, I also dont let children call me Ms Nicole or what have you.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

Pretty much this. I really don't understand why some people get all pissed off for being called ma'am. They could say HEY YOU, BITCH, GET BACK HERE.