Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM
and Spy.

Default Sloppy Heeling

So Spy used to have a pretty nice heel, but I've noticed it get sloppier and sloppier over the last couple years. Now that I am toying with the idea of competing in something, I want to bring his heel back up to snuff

What I have noticed:

1. He is quite pushy and ends up a little too far ahead of me and kind of steps on my feet, it's almost as though he is bending around my legs to get in front of me I like that he is eager and motivated, but I know he should give me a bit more space and not 'bend', so to speak. Should the dog's snout be in line with my legs? What exactly IS the correct position?

2. He sits when I stop, but I have noticed his bum swinging to the outside a little. Is there a simple way to improve this?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Show Dog

I train it so their shoulder is in line with my left leg, that's how I was always taught was the correct position.

How did you train heel position? If I have trouble with the dog's position itself, I go back to step one and get it perfect in a stationery position first.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Knox's right shoulder should be brushing my left leg. That's how I've always been told is the correct heel position (for competitions anyway) and if competition is what you're aiming for, I think that it depends on the venue, but the dogs head should be wrapping around, not their body. They can either be looking off to the side or directly up at you. I prefer that Knox focus on my face, so that's what I reward for. I also prefer the flashier heeling style so when he high steps out I reward that heavily as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagle View Post
I train it so their shoulder is in line with my left leg, that's how I was always taught was the correct position.

How did you train heel position? If I have trouble with the dog's position itself, I go back to step one and get it perfect in a stationery position first.
To be honest, I can't even remember Most likely I shaped it with a clicker... It's been like, 4 years though

I guess I am not sure how to fix these issues now that they are ground in.

Quote:
Quote:
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Knox's right shoulder should be brushing my left leg. That's how I've always been told is the correct heel position (for competitions anyway) and if competition is what you're aiming for, I think that it depends on the venue, but the dogs head should be wrapping around, not their body. They can either be looking off to the side or directly up at you. I prefer that Knox focus on my face, so that's what I reward for. I also prefer the flashier heeling style so when he high steps out I reward that heavily as well.
Yes I want to compete, so I will try for that. So shoulder to leg is considered correct?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Shoulder to leg/his front feet lined up with your feet.

If he's wrapping a lot, start by getting perfect stationary position next to a wall so he has no room to wrap. Then start by moving next to a wall.

Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Just try me..

First off, find out what he is focusing on. Ie is he watching your face, is he sensitive to how you twist your body (focused on shoulder position) That will help you figure out what YOU are doing.

Then I would go back and really 'doodle' with him in heel. Copious c/t for correct heel. So since it sounds like he is forging, teach him to follow you sideways and backwards. Do lots of left turns and things to help reinforce NOT getting ahead.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
So since it sounds like he is forging, teach him to follow you sideways and backwards. Do lots of left turns and things to help reinforce NOT getting ahead.
This. That's exactly how I always correct that problem. Left turns and looots of moving backwards and sideways. It makes them stay in the correct position and wait for you to take lead.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.
THANK YOU. I knew I was rewarding wrong but I couldn't figure out how I should be doing it. You have solved Mu's wrapping problem.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
...Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.
You can also try holding a treat in your left hand, with the "pad" of your thumb on your hip.