Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
So, do you guys let your dogs off leash in places that aren't off leash places? Or do you mind when someone else's dog is offleash if they have it completely under voice control?
I'm not sure actually. I don't know what the leash law is where I walk my dogs. I don't see any postings either way. But people walk their dogs all the time in those fields at the park without a leash. So far my dogs have never gone up to anyone (we do lots of recall training) and no other dogs I've seen there have gone up to me. It's pretty much known that it's not a dog park and you need to keep to yourself.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

No, I don't. There are plenty of dog parks around where I can let Lucy off leash to run. Everywhere else (parks, hiking trails, etc) are on leash only, and I respect that. I'm grateful dogs are allowed at all! I don't take her to school fields at all, as those are no-dogs-allowed zones.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
<------RIP Superdog

I let Riley off alot, but it depended where. If we went to our main walking park then no. Too many animals and people. A different walking park that was very quiet, sometimes. My friend and I would take him and her shepards walking offleash next to a very quiet road with cornfields alot. At the beach when no one was around, etc. He was very good and very relilable off leash, but I just felt better and like a better owner in public with him on. It wasnt until he was over 5 that I let him offleash in non fenced areas.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

Depends on the place, but yes, I have broken the rules to let my dogs off leash once the dog is reliable, won't approach people or other dogs, and in a location away from traffic and other people/animals.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

Depends where.

Near a road? Never. It makes me cringe when people i know who have a) had dogs get hit before or b) don't have their dogs under control let their dogs run around in parks or on paths near roads.

In the "Nature Reserve" type areas or ones with lots of wild life? Only for pictures. She won't chase, but there's lots of deer in the river bottom and porcupines too. If a deer charged her she'd probably be killed, if a porcupine hit her she'd be VERY injured especially with her flat face I can just see her losing her eyes. There's also coyotes around here and they're very bold, Izzie would be an after dinner mint to them.

At the park by my house that has nice big fields away from roads that's pretty much considered an unofficial off lead park as long as dogs are under control. I usually go to a more secluded area of it to do heel/obedience work, will start tracking there in the spring maybe too! But I've also used it for play dates and ball too, there's a really nice little island that is awesome for taking the little dogs to play around on and no one goes there.

I do ALWAYS make sure Izzie is under control though, especially when other people are around. If someone comes walking toward us with a dog, I put her in a down stay and I go down on one knee by her.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Top Dog

Sometimes their toys have to be on a leash!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I probably have let him off-leash illegally, though not intentionally. If I know there is a leash law in the area I'm in, I will abide by it, but if it's not obviously posted and there aren't a lot of people around... I've been known to let him hike on rough trails off-leash.

I did kinda "loophole" one leash-law at our local park, though. The requirement is dogs must be leashed and the leash must be 6ft or less. I had Morgan on a 30ft training lead of to ourselves in the soccer fields, practicing stays and recalls. A park officer actually did stop to watch us. I'm guessing he was about to warn me that Morgan was supposed to be on a leash, then saw the mega-long leash AND the fact that my dog was clearly under control, so watched us for a bit and then left us alone.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Nia is always off leash at the park but it's not a dog park. There's leash laws all over the city.

When a dog we don't know comes into the park in our sight, we leash up. But honestly, we know 98% of the dogs that ever go to that park and they all know Nia and we have no problems.

I don't see how else to throw a ball halfway across the field on a leash...plus Nia doesn't bother other people and only says hi to dogs we know and they don't mind us saying hi.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Also other people's off leash dogs don't bother me in the slightest either unless they come over and trample all over Nia and Nia starts screaming.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Backward_Cinderella

I have no idea what the leash laws here are and nobody seems to care. Doom walks well on a leash but does even better off leash, so he usually is. He sits out in the front yard with us all the time while we smoke, but its our property so I don't think it matters. Bobsie and Piglet stay on leash though. Bobsie has wanderlust and I don't trust Piglet enough yet to try off leash.