Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and I must add, it also depends greatly on the KIND of park.

In Miami, parks are small grassy areas of geometrical shape. There are no barriers or separations really.. just a big patch of grass basically with a sidewalk.
So letting your dog run around off lead. It's basically within the view/in the same area as lots of other people/other dog walkers/kids playing etc..
There is no BARRIER between your dog and all these people other than your supposed control over them. and that I think is kind of rude..

If we had a park with different sections, secluded areas.. I probably would feel differently because my dog, even off lead, is in a way contained. He can't just hang left and hop on somebodies picnic blanket or chase someones child

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Nope. I used to be an animal control officer, and I can't tell you how much I hated having to go up to people and write them a ticket because they chose to have their dog off-leash in an area clearly posted as leashed dogs only. When it becomes too much of an issue in an area, that area often winds up being "no dogs allowed". I'm not ruining the fun for anyone else.

However, in our area, very few places require dogs to be leashed. Most of the towns have a control law (dog must be under owner's control at all times), with only certain parks/bike paths requiring dogs to be leashed. That was the real kicker for me as an ACO. If there are 12 parks in the city, why do you *have* to come to the ONLY ONE that has a leash rule and take your dog off?

My opinion might be different if our entire area required leashes, because my dogs do enjoy a lot of off leash time. As it is, I get annoyed when people don't follow the leash rules where they exist.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Cloudcandy

I will also add that I have yet to enter an area that states "All dogs must be on a leash"...never seen one yet!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
ó Lemony Snicket
Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
However, in our area, very few places require dogs to be leashed. Most of the towns have a control law (dog must be under owner's control at all times), with only certain parks/bike paths requiring dogs to be leashed. That was the real kicker for me as an ACO. If there are 12 parks in the city, why do you *have* to come to the ONLY ONE that has a leash rule and take your dog off?
Yeah see, that would be wonderful.

In our town you can't have your dog off leash anywhere. There are no leash laws posted because the leash law covers everything unless it's one of the couple off leash dog parks in the county. And those you need to pay for.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

I've only just started letting Tucker off leash at the park but everyone else is doing it. The park is more of a field...two baseball diamonds, big field for soccer, basketball court in back. It's mostly fenced in. There is a walking trail behind it. The fence says dogs must be on leash but it is a VERY well known doggy place, it's basically an unofficial dog park, if I go I am 100% sure there will be other dogs there. Tucker is pretty much the only one, besides puppies, that is on a leash. The main reason I've started letting him off is because people are having to do jump rope over his long leash and I'm tangling up people's dog's while Tucker is playing with them so it's either he has to come off or he can't play, and the only reason we go there is so he can play with other dogs. When it's just one or two others it's not an issue but when there are 7-10 other dogs like there is from about 3pm to sunset the long leash starts becoming dangerous. I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for having their dog's off leash there, if there was a practice or something and dogs started running on the field I could see it becoming and issue, but so far so good.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

The field that Rosey loves to be in, and is offleash in most of the time (and that we had our photos taken in), apparently has a no dogs sign. But it's apparently not even at the main entrance to it... it is only seen when you come off the street and go up the hill. I haven't seen it yet.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Mutts to you

I've let Riley off leash at the beach but only very early in the morning when there's literally no one in sight. Sis is usually with me and we'll have him run from one to the other, so it's sort of a recall game. He is totally obnoxious if he doesn't get to run. I don't usually have a bike at the beach and it's usually too hot by the time you can rent one, so biking with him to expend energy isn't an option.

I don't really mind off leash dogs at the beach if they look like they're aware of their owners (dogs that will race out for a little bit, play in the waves, then run back). I have more of a problem with owners who don't clean up after their dogs (off leash or on). Kicking sand over poop is not an option!! Grrrrrrrrr.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I let Knox off because I know he wont leave, or I have an ecollar on him for his recall for small animals, but our laws say dog must be under control, not necessarily leashed. He doesn't leave (unless he is chasing a cat, but thats why he wears an ecollar at parks) and I can down him from quite a distance, so I don't worry about it.

If someone is obviously uncomfortable by him, I will call him to me and leash him up. He doesn't bother any people or dogs though, and does the typical herding dog/GSD thing where he moves in a bog circle usually less than twenty feet from me at all times when he's offleash.

I do watch other people though, because its been my experience that almost no one but me has vocal control over their dogs. I can down Knox who's in a flat out run to Steven or to see other people and he'll down. The only exception is cats, unfortunately. However, we don't run into a whole lot of cats at the park or the nature center, so I feel comfortable letting him off.

Plus, off leash he travels about three times the distance I do, so it gives me a break on his exercise.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I suppose it just depends.

Cynder is off lead all of the time, everywhere. She's under perfect voice control (no downs at a distance, but if you whistle for her she will book it back to you) and is small and cute, so typically people don't say anything. But, I've been on the other end for far too long to let her off leash easily - I know what it is like to have a dog that is reactive to off leash dogs, whether they are friendly/ignoring you/not going to bother you or not.

So I am okay with off leash dogs if it is done legally or in an area where no other people are (or limited number of people who don't mind). Otherwise, the dogs are on a leash as a courtesy to the other people around.

I also think it is different to have a dog just running around off leash having a good time and having a dog off leash that is doing some kind of activity (obedience/frisbee/etc.).

Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

I don't. Everybody else seems to be able to, but if I so much as think about it, a cop or by law drives by. I used to run Tango off leash in school fields (when school was out and I stayed away from playgrounds) all the time to play Frisbee. I did it for years and nobody minded, she was well behaved, etc. But then one day a cop came and gave me a talking to (while complimenting my dog at the same time), and ever since then I've been too nervous. Which sucks, because aside from off leash dog parks, everywhere here has a "no dogs allowed" rule. Even if the field is nothing for than just that - a field. Dogs still aren't allowed. I wish I had a nice field within walking distance to go play a game of fetch or practice training off leash in that was legal.

I don't mind if others have their well behaved, trained dogs off leash. As long as the dog is under control and the owner is actually doing something with the dog, then go ahead. But I do have a problem with people letting dogs off leash that shouldn't be, as thanks to them, I now have a leash reactive dog thanks to those dogs grabbing my dog while he was on a leashed walk behaving perfectly.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN