Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Corgi bum

Default Any advice on barking dogs?

My Corgi, Chloe ,REALLY likes to bark. She isn't an outside dog, but when I we let her out to do her business, she often becomes sidetracked by the goings on in the neighborhood and barks her little head off. Sometimes it's tough to get her to do her business at all. I have read about the many reasons that dogs bark...lonliness....being afraid etc. These don't really apply to Chloe. It seems to me that she barks because she sees people and wants them to come and say "hi" to her. She is very social. I also know that barking is a typical Corgi trait. I just worry that it is disruptive to the neighbors. We don't leave her out long, but even just to get her to go potty is sometimes to long because all she sometimes wants to do is bark!!!

Any ideas?

Dena
Old 11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Alpha Dog

Some dogs just like to bark. Shelties are barkers. No matter what you do they will always bark. But I learned to stop them after they start, just can't stop them from starting in the first place.

Chazhound
Old 11-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Corgi bum

How do you get them to stop barking? I can get Chloe to stop for a second, but then she starts right in again. Another thing she also does is bark at people when I am walking her. It's like a greeting bark, but, none the less can be annoying to the people walking by.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
agilitydobemom

Try distracting her when she does bark by telling her no every time and maybe get her interested in a toy or give her treats after you have told her no and only allow her to bark when you want her to like when people knock on the door the biggest thing is to be consistant and you may stop her barking
Old 11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Corgi bum

Thanks...I will give that a try.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Puppy Dog

I use a squirt bottle on Fred. As long as he knows I have it handy and he can see it, he won't bark. You can try teaching him to bark on command then its easier to teach him not to bark. that one worked on my black lab that passed away long time ago,but it didn't work with Fred.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaluvscorgis
How do you get them to stop barking? I can get Chloe to stop for a second, but then she starts right in again. Another thing she also does is bark at people when I am walking her. It's like a greeting bark, but, none the less can be annoying to the people walking by.
Sometimes its easier to teach them 'quiet' if you teach 'speak' first, or does your dog already know it? It probably sounds like a 'greeting' bark, and it may just as well be attention getting, but your dog could be telling the walker to stay off the property.

Chazhound; my family must've lucked out and got a Quiet Sheltie

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Corgi bum

Great advice everyone....thanks!!!!