Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Not to mention, if you could afford to move out good luck finding a place that allows a large dog or multiple small dogs or (hahaha!!) multiple large dogs, and is close enough to school.

Coincidentally, I've just been searching craigslist and places that could maybe possibly work that are $1000 or under are slim pickings.
Exactly this. It's pissing me off so much. So few places have rent that's averaging $1000 a month for a tiny studio apartment!!!! Vancouver's housing price is just stupidly ridiculous considering minimum wage is only $9/hr.

Even if I worked full time at minimum wage, I only make $1440 a month. If I spent $1000 on just rent, I won't have enough money to get food/pay insurance for the car/gas, etc. Not even mentioning I go to school and it costs me $8000 a year...

Seriously I feel like I'll be stuck here for eternity.....
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
Exactly this. It's pissing me off so much. So few places have rent that's averaging $1000 a month for a tiny studio apartment!!!! Vancouver's housing price is just stupidly ridiculous considering minimum wage is only $9/hr.

Even if I worked full time at minimum wage, I only make $1440 a month. If I spent $1000 on just rent, I won't have enough money to get food/pay insurance for the car/gas, etc. Not even mentioning I go to school and it costs me $8000 a year...

Seriously I feel like I'll be stuck here for eternity.....
Come to Alberta? :P

Be sure to bring Nia!

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

Realistically, not until Murphy goes. Which he never will as we've discussed him living forever because I need him here.

I have puppy fever like whoa right now but it would be horribly unfair to add another until my current dogs have decided to accept life with each other. And we have a ways to go before I feel confident that has happened and that we're be stable enough to add another dog (3rd or 4th).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Big Dog

I'm not really sure when we would add another dog. Being in the army, it's hard to tell when/where we will be at any given time, and also finding a place to rent. We had a difficult time trying to find a place to accept large dogs (well, at least somewhere that wasn't under 10lbs or 5lbs). Not to mention, hubby & I both love pit bulls, but Army housing has pit bull bans. That was one of the reasons we opted to live off-post because even though his paper work would be labeled boxer mix, I don't want someone accusing me of him being a pit bull, and then be forced to get rid of him or move. I'm not even 100% certain he has pitty in him, but a lot of people think he is just because his ears are cropped.

We would probably get a GSD & actually just talked about that the other night. We both agreed we would want to add a shepherd as our next dog. The exciting part for me though, is hubby has never had a puppy. He's had 2 other dogs in his life which were both adults. But he's never experienced raising a pup... I LOVE puppies which is one reason why I liked fostering for the rescue that I did (they were primarily puppy & kitten but took in older dogs) cause I was able to get my fill puppy breath while helping them find a forever home.

I think when the time is right we will know. Lugar's only 5 1/2 so he's still (I hope) got a lot of years left in him and he is still very much a puppy. It will be exciting when that time comes though. There was one dog at the animal control in my home town that we would have gotten in a heart beat. His face and build looked EXACTLY like Lugar except he was white with brindle patches on his face (cropped ears that looked just like him too), but they do home inspections for all pit bull adoptions so adopting out of state would not be an option. He was so pretty Hubby even said he wanted him.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Not until after Beezer passes probably. He couldn't ... wouldn't handle a new dog in the house.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Puppy Dog

3 dogs is my limit. Chloe is 11, Josie is 3 and Casey is 7. After all three of them passes i am taking a break before i add in another dog. Life with dogs can be tricky sometimes when you want to travel and not having to worry about the dogs when they are boarded or trusting the person who is caring for your dogs is taking care of them. I am really picky who watches my dogs, so it'd be nice to relax with no worries about anything .
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm All Ears

My plan as of now is follows:

- 2014ish get a puppy of a different/mediumish herding breed (not 100% settled at the moment and probably won't be until the time comes)
- When Summer passes, get another papillon

I think my comfortable number is 2 paps and a something else.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
BusterLove

*watches Quinn doing laps flat out around the backyard with a 3ft stick in her mouth like she's been doing for the last 20 minutes (this is after the 6km run and swim I took her on 2 hours ago)*

Probably 3 - 5 years in all honesty. There is heaps of work I want to do with Quinn and heaps I want to learn from her and we have... ahem... a long way to go.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Not for a while. Tempie and Boone are a little too close together in age for my liking. Ideally, my working dogs were supposed to be spread out a little. By the time Tempie retired, I would already have another certified and working, and then I could have a younger pup in training. But Boone isn't much younger than Tempie, so they would probably (unless tragedy strikes) end up retiring pretty close together. Getting him for free from the breeder that supplies all our SAR 'houlas was just WAY too good a deal to pass up. And I don't think I want more than three dogs because I'm not sure I could financially support a fourth. And since I have Raja... Well, we'll see how things go. There are years yet before Tempie has to retire. And by then, maybe I WILL be able to take on a fourth.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
APBT crazy!

I would love another dog (hopefully an APBT), but probably not until after Buster passes which hopefully isn't for a long, long time. Even then I wouldn't go out and get a new dog when he's gone, so I really don't know. I'm not one of those people that goes and gets a dog after mine passes.

It takes me a long time to grieve and my other dogs need me too. Heck we didn't get Dixie until a year after Rocky passed 3 years ago. So, for right now probably not for a long, long time. I enjoy and really love the dogs I have right now, I don't need to go out and get another to make me happy.