Can't sleep- help?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
tldr; I have a sinus infection that is very persistent despite being on a bunch of meds. I have slept 2.5 hours total in the past 2 days. I am dead tired but every time I lie down I have a coughing attack. I've tried everything I can think of and no use.

Anyone got a home remedy? I want some sleep.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Cough syrup with codeine? :D
Won't help you tonight but I got the best sleep EVAR when I was prescribed that stuff.

Otherwise I don't know. :( That always sucks.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I wish! I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to drink and take a bunch of meds at the same time. :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Can you basically sleep sitting up? I know when my sinuses are gone to hell I have to prop up a BUNCH of pillows behind me and lean back against them and sleep like that. Very uncomfortable and I usually wake up a TON, but at least it gets me a bit of sleep (and I can still breathe.)

I would go back to the doctor tomorrow if you have an urgent care or whatever near you - you might have bronchitis at this point. =< You'll need new drugs if that's the case. I'm glad they gave you something for it though. Usually when I go because I've had a sinus infection for a month they won't do anything for me until AFTER it becomes bronchitis. They tell me "oh just keep taking the Sudafed and try to get plenty of sleep." Erm. Right. Gosh it's just so simple!

Funny story: the first time I had a sinus infection turn into bronchitis, the doctor wanted to give me these big old horse pills to take. I asked if the same med came in a liquid because I don't do well at swallowing huge pills, so he wrote the rx for a liquid.
I went home with my liquid drugs and read the label like EIGHT TIMES to make sure I was reading it right. It said TABLESPOON, not TEASPOON, right? RIGHT? Riiiight? Okay.
I FELT AMAZING THE NEXT DAY. I've never recovered from anything like that! I just felt so freaking awesome!! And it just kept getting better and better, like a miracle! I mean, I was hacking up mouthfuls of green mucus, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't hardly do anything without a coughing fit, my chest and my abs and everything hurt, I wanted to die, and then POOF! It was fantastic!

A few days later I was getting the meds out and was like "Huh. I don't see how this is going to last a full seven days..." I looked at the label to see if I was supposed to refill it... and THIS time when I read the label, it DID say TEASPOONS, not tablespoons. But I swear to you I read that label like a million times and it SAID tablespoons!
I had to call the doctor and be like "Um so, I've apparently accidentally overdosed on this stuff... uh... is that bad?" The doctor thought it was kind of hilarious and told me the only side effect I might have was an upset stomach. I was like "Well no wonder I felt so awesome so quickly..." and he's like "Yeah I guess that will do it for you."

So even if you read the label like eight times, don't trust it... have somebody else read it for you just in case, hahaha. I still can't understand how that I happened... I mean... I was checking to make sure! How is it even possible? I think they put a magic changing label on there. =P

Beanie, my husband did that too with his med a couple years ago. He felt GREAT and got better very quickly, but figured it out when he ran out of meds.

I second sleeping upright. IT SUCKS. I hate it, but I can breathe and the coughing stops a bit. Also, OLD formula sudafed (behind the pharmacy counter) will still help with congestion and therefore post-nasal drip and coughing.

Saeleofu

Tea with RAW honey (I just got my first jar of raw yesterday, OMGITS****INGAMAZINGANDNOTHINGLIKESTANDARDHONEYANDIATEHALFAJARINONEDAY! And try to sit up/prop yourself up to sleep. Beanbag chairs are my friend when I'm like that :/ They make the most awesome pillows.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well I did get sleep last night for about 6 hours sitting up, but then Mia woke me up and I woke up to a hacking coughing fit again. I'm hoping I'm about over this already.

Members online

No members online now.