Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-10-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm All Ears

Nekomi is wonderful. I miss her.

I would say Bella is a mid content.

Some of the other things you can look for are small ears with a lot of hair inside the ears. Muddy looking markings- HC wolfdogs will not have really distinct markings. Black nails. Very large paws. A 'flat' profile (as in not a very defined stop). No blocky muzzles. No blue eyes in HCs.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Blue eyes can and do happen - even in pure/wild wolves. It is rare, but it happens. And when you add in Sibes and other blue-eyed breeds, it does increase the odds.

I haven't looked at the pictures yet. Kinda don't want to! Hybrids are a pet peeve of mine!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

I hate that people breed these dogs.

I will be completely honest, Hobie is a verified wolfdog. I have to pay for a special permit to own him every year and follow certain guidelines with the dept. of fish and game as he is considered an exotic animal. He is a mid content wolfdog. By looking at him, you wouldn't be able to tell right off the bat. For one due to his short legs and color but if you really look, you can see it. He is registered, with Iowolfers and USAWA. I rescued him from an idiot friend of my dads. The idiot got him from another mutual friend who was his "breeder". It was a horrible situation for Hobie as he lived on a 4x4 balcony for the first 7 months of his life after being at the "breeders". Then they called asking my parents if I wanted him cause he was biting the kids over his food! (Maybe cause he was not ever regularly fed!!!) They literally dumped him at our house without realy seeing if it work out. Thankfully, we felt sorry for him and he wasn't going anywhere. He will bite someone still for taking a bone from him or food. However, I can take it from him and my dad can take it from him. It took a lot of work to get there.

I always introduce him as a mutt. Cause really that is what he is in my mind. I hate breeders breeding this mix. They can be extremely dangerous, especially the mid-high content animals. Living with a dog like this is not like raising and being with a normal dog.

These dogs are a huge pet peeve of mine cause to most they are just what the title says, Status Symbols.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Behavior Nerd

You may also want to mention to your friend that rabies vaccines have not been tested in wolves, so many local AC/dog warden/state vet offices do not consider a wolfdog vaccinated in the case of a bite, even if they have been given the rabies vaccine.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I told her about the rabies thing. She didn't really respond to it. I think I hit her with a lot at once. I may have made her feel stupid, I'm not sure.

What the hell else do you do though?? I'm not one to sit back and just let things like that slide without speaking up at least. She might have been receptive, and she's stopped posting and gloating about it being however much wolf content she THINKS it is but probably isn't, but she's still clearly uneducated to a fault. I cannot believe her husband tried to tell her they were the perfect pet.

I told her, this isn't like pit bulls and other breeds that are simply misunderstood and targeted. There is a real issue here, and a real reason why that issue exists in the first place.

Why can't people just go after the breeds that were created specifically to fill this niche? I don't get it. They're there FOR THAT PURPOSE. Utilize them! FFS the breeders were looking out for YOU when they did this! To avoid crap like this from happening! UGH

My Polyvore
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
and Spy.

May I make a suggestion? As stupid as she was to get one, don't make her feel like a complete idiot by chastising the crap out of her.

The last thing you want her to do is feel as though she CAN'T come to you for help for fear of being ridiculed or made to feel stupid. Just try not to be condescending and let her know if she has issues to come talk to you. While it is great to offer advice and tell her what you know, it's not going to help the animal if you just end up running her off.

I totally feel your frustration, but I think if you try not to shove too much down her throat and get angry with her you can end up doing mare harm than good. Because let's face it, if everything gets too overwhelming and she feels super embarrassed she may end up just going LALALALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU *ears plugged*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

No worries, I made sure I went about it very nicely, and by her responses I could tell she wasn't getting upset, just thinking quite hard about what she'd done. She's definitely the type of person that, if I were pissing her off, she'd immediately retaliate HARD. I made sure to leave the door open for advice and she gladly accepted the offer, and I feel she may take me up on it once this puppy starts growing up.

I do make it a point to be easy and careful about those things when it comes to people I'm actually friends with (especially ones who were once my very best friends in high school!). I hope they all know they can always come to me for advice, and many have!

I definitely agree though, whenever possible, go at a person with as much grace as you can. It's harder with complete strangers of course, haha.

My Polyvore
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

I think the one good thing to come out of this ignorance is that your friend now has a puppy that has no wolf (or exceptionally little if from that one gal) so she won't truly be under prepared for a wolf dog.

On the flip side, the REALLY unfortunate thing here is that if ANY THING does happen with this puppy, be it just another unruly puppy, or worst case someone is bitten and it is reported, regardless of actual content the dog will be billed as a wolf dog and it will only make matters worse.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Obey the Toad.

Your friend might want to check her local municipality. I know wolf hybrids are banned in our town.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I believe she is in Virginia Beach, or possibly Chesapeake. I'm not sure of the laws there.

My Polyvore