Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

You'll have to specify which instance where I said husky mix you mean, because I think I did it several times in different contexts.

As far as I know, there are no laws banning wolfdogs in Virginia. I, however, live in Canada, and they are banned here.

I will give her those links about containment, much appreciated. Like I said, she seems very receptive to all of this. I wish more people could be like that when they are called out about their impulse buys. I told her about how many of these guys end up in sanctuaries (when I lived there, I wanted to do that with my life, but now that I live in Canada, I don't think it is an option). She didn't even know that. Serious lack of research on her part.

My Polyvore
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Looking at their site, the only dog that has a lick of wolf in her is Bella, and I'd say she is a low-mid at best. Charlotte is all Husky- 25% red wolf my butt.

Spirit is most certainly not a high content, not with those feet, that huge ear set, and pink nails. Looks like a lot of Tamaskan's to me. Onxy has no wolf in him either by my eye. To be supposedly that high of a content and not have a pre-cadual marking or a v-cape? Looks like a black GSD mix to me.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

THANK YOU.

Suspicions are shared.

My Polyvore
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

I would also totally be willing to link my friend to the page and get her opinions. She's very involved in wolf dog rescue and any thing I know I know because of her, lol.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Can you please explain precaudal markings and the v cape? Bella and onyx were the only two that caught my eye as looking more wolfish than the rest.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Can you please explain precaudal markings and the v cape? Bella and onyx were the only two that caught my eye as looking more wolfish than the rest.
Sure. A V cape is longer guard hairs forming over the shoulders leading to the back in the shape of a V. Isn't a tell tale sign as it pops up in other breeds, especially northern breeds, but you'd definitely see it in a high content wolf dog. Oddly enough, my foster USED to have a v-cape, but it all eventually fell away. Looked like this:

A precaudal marking is a gland in the base of a wolfs tail, but it's also seen on a lot of breeds (non working, though) but wouldn't be lacking in a high content:

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Thank you! That was interesting, I've seen some dogs with v capes, mostly northern breed puppies, but they seem to always lose it as they age. I've also see the spot on the tail of some dogs in German shepherds, but again, mostly northern breeds, with no known wolf content at all, and the gsds assuredly none.

I like learning interesting things like that. Its how I win at trivia night.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Dog

Ughhhhhh

When I was a kid we had a dog that we highly, highly suspected was a wolf mix (probably no more than 25% TOPS though). She was always a bit off. Overall she was a pretty good dog, and was my mom's heart dog, but you definitely HAD to be careful around her.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Thank you! That was interesting, I've seen some dogs with v capes, mostly northern breed puppies, but they seem to always lose it as they age. I've also see the spot on the tail of some dogs in German shepherds, but again, mostly northern breeds, with no known wolf content at all, and the gsds assuredly none.

I like learning interesting things like that. Its how I win at trivia night.
The only thing that makes it a little confusing with v capes (for me, anyway) is that some people say they need not only be long enough guard hairs in the v shape formation, but also the appropriate markings of lighter guard hairs with darker bands of color towards the bottom before it's a "true v cape" It makes it even more confusing when a totally Bully looking dog like Elsa has what would be considered a true v cape (can't tell in the photo, but the guard hairs were very tan while the shorter hair is a chocolate color)

These things I know garner me nothing except in VERY rare circumstances someone will ask, and I will know, and my boyfriend will say "That is coming to you from Steph's bank of largely useless knowledge."
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Hey, useless knowledge is still knowledge

My Polyvore