Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

She said her husband had a wolfdog growing up and said they're the perfect pet. And asked me to please message her my concerns.

I did. I explained everything. I truly hope she listens.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

Yeah, I mentioned to her the scam of taking a nordic breed with wolf-like markings/colouring and saying it has high wolf content, or is in fact pure wolf. I also explained the fact that having a Timberwolf, in South Carolina, is extremely unlikely.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,235
Default

You should tell her that her liability could be different. IE if you have a known wolf cross and it bites someone, typically you get in more hot water than if its just a dog. Some home insurance policies won't cover you with a wolf cross.

It might be in her best interest if she can have it tested to see if it is or isn't part wolf. You might also want to tell her that she will have to be hypervigilant as in the vast majority of cases these don't make good pets as they are not good with strangers no matter how much socializing you do.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

Here's the breeder's website

http://alphawolves.webs.com/
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM
~Dixie's_Mom~'s Avatar
~Dixie's_Mom~ ~Dixie's_Mom~ is offline
♥Chloe & Violet♥
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

It might be in her best interest if she can have it tested to see if it is or isn't part wolf.
This.
__________________
Lauren
Don't fear tomorrow.


Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Gypsydals's Avatar
Gypsydals Gypsydals is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
You should tell her that her liability could be different. IE if you have a known wolf cross and it bites someone, typically you get in more hot water than if its just a dog. Some home insurance policies won't cover you with a wolf cross.

It might be in her best interest if she can have it tested to see if it is or isn't part wolf. You might also want to tell her that she will have to be hypervigilant as in the vast majority of cases these don't make good pets as they are not good with strangers no matter how much socializing you do.
^This. And in some states it is illegal to own a wolf hybrid.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Red.Apricot's Avatar
Red.Apricot Red.Apricot is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,698
Default

I'm skeptical about the '23% red wolf' claim. The sites I've seen basically say that people claiming their wolf-dogs are part red wolf are BSing, since red wolves are so endangered.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

I just told her about the liability issues. Luckily she is being very open to this, which is nice. I usually get my head chewed off by my friends for their stupid decisions on pets.


Also, there is no pure wolf on that website. They clearly lied to her.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
She said her husband had a wolfdog growing up and said they're the perfect pet. And asked me to please message her my concerns.
2 morons married.....this is reminding me of Idiocracy.

Yep, perfect family pet alright.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
ravennr's Avatar
ravennr ravennr is offline
ಥ⌣ಥ
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,314
Default

UGH, this puppy is SIX WEEKS OLD. It is not legal in that state to sell a dog under 8 weeks. I am livid.
__________________

My Polyvore
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site