Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Agility freak!

I don't have as much commitment to the breeder with this puppy as I would have had I gotten a puppy sooner from her, because that would have been a co-own. I own Simi. When I told her I wanted a dog I said I'd like to do agility first, schutzhund as a second, maybe even a third if I get into herding or competitive obedience, which I've been considering. It looks like a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't seem like a second place sport. Not one you can put AFTER agility training which is what it would be.

As for a temporary member, that's kind of what I've been doing since I started working with breeder, as I've been going to club practices and such. However, that was never training my own dog.

I'm wondering if the GSSCC is for trialing...? Maybe I'll send an e-mail to see if I could pay the club fee and train with no intention of trialing for the span of the year...

I think that actually training for it is so different than just watching, though, honestly. But I also have no idea what my hours in terms of work will be like after I'm out of school, etc., and with Agility it's easier because I own all of my own equipment so I can train at home whenever I have daylight hours... It's not so easy with schutzhund.

I just really don't know... I guess my best bet would be to e-mail the breeder/trainer about all of this and see what she thinks.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
I don't have as much commitment to the breeder with this puppy as I would have had I gotten a puppy sooner from her, because that would have been a co-own. I own Simi. When I told her I wanted a dog I said I'd like to do agility first, schutzhund as a second, maybe even a third if I get into herding or competitive obedience, which I've been considering. It looks like a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't seem like a second place sport. Not one you can put AFTER agility training which is what it would be.

I just really don't know... I guess my best bet would be to e-mail the breeder/trainer about all of this and see what she thinks.
Ahhh, that makes sense then.

Yes, email the breeder and talk to her about it.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I'm the complete opposite - agility, to me, looks fun, is fun, and my dog would just LOVE it... but I just don't see myself making the commitment to do that on a regular basis. I don't get very excited about it, and could not justify the time or money (though I do respect those who are "in" agility).

Schutzhund, on the other hand... I went to my first trial in November, it ran on until pretty late at night and it was FREEZING cold. I had to borrow about two more layers and woolen socks and gloves from someone and the helper brought a huge gas heater out for everyone to crowd around. The conditions were pretty miserable, but the entire time I just thought how cool and how fantastic it would be to be on the field with my dog. I really cannot wait for when I can finally get started in Schutzhund with my dog, and would look forward to training, even understanding what the commitment entails.

Honestly, I would speak to Simi's breeder either way, but I would lean towards doing what I REALLY want rather than what the breeder expects/hopes me to do with my own dog.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
It looks like a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it also doesn't seem like a second place sport. Not one you can put AFTER agility training which is what it would be.
This is why I didn't end up sticking with doing SchH. After going to the club for awhile, it became obvious that if I were to pursue SchH it would mean giving up the other stuff I do with my dogs or at least changing priorities. The training sessions were super long - most of the day on Sunday and a few hours on one weekday. And tracking...tracking is hard for me to "get" LOL

I can also understand your breeder wanting you to do SchH with her, since that is the "big thing" with working line breeders. However, if you own her outright and have no agreement to train in SchH, it doesn't sound like an issue to me?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Puppy Dog

Just because you have a German Shepherd does not mean you HAVE to do shutzhund. You need to do something that you BOTH will enjoy. Seems like agility is more your style i'd stick with that maybe some herding too, there are other lists of things she can do, shutzhund isn't the only thing out there imo. I'd say let her tell you what she's good at and go with that. Josie has very strong nose on her so i've been taking some tracking lessons with her.

In the beginning i have said i wanted to do shutzhund, but plans do change.

Yes do talk to your breeder about it and what you really want to do with Simi.