Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default We've decided against a dog for now - instead

We are going for a ferret.
I feel this will be just as well for me as a psych dog.

I'm really excited about this, just intimidated about where to go. Naturally, I would like a kit, but I cannot in good conscience pay for a marshall kit and don't know where else to go.

I'm already on the hunt for a nice single-ferret cage.

Even my dad said this would be good for me. He knows how attached I was to my first ferret, which he bought for me.

I want a dog, still, so bad, but I understand this needs to wait. A ferret is much more acceptable and logical.

Jess, I will be after you lots. Also looking to connect with other ferret owners.

My Polyvore
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Love My Mutt <3

LOL I was about to say, bug me as much as you need! Look on kijiji, lots of rehomes, a lot of times with a cage

AllieMackie has ferrets, too! Someone else to bug

Stay away from ferret.com forums. They have such bad advice >__>. Most ferret forums are pretty bad... They are all big supporters of Marshalls

ETA: does this mean you, your bf and roommates worked some stuff out?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Wookie Collie

Even for a single, a Ferret Nation cage is the best bet. No such thing as too much space, and if you luck out you can get one on Kijiji - Flower Town Chinchillas sells them cheapest otherwise.

Kits are indeed hard to come by. Keep an eye on Craigslist/Kijiji. Lots of people get overwhelmed when they realize a ferret is difficult to care for. Rescues often have young ferrets - you have Ferret Aid Society nearish to you.

Get this book before ever getting a ferret, and read it end to end. Every ferret owner should have this book.

Remember: Ferrets have short lifespans. They get sick after several years, require vet care that's as costly as a dog if not more, need a lot of time and attention, and have their own quirks that take getting used to. That said, if you can handle all of that, they are richly rewarding.

Jess is better at writing novels, I just toss resources your way.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Thanks for the resources, and warnings.

I wish I had the literature I had when I had my first ferret, but it's all been tossed unfortunately. I intend to go grab some more.

We've pretty much decided, since this will be my responsibility, and my space, that, considering they brought in animals and never asked, that this is something we're doing. Any issues they have with it are fine, but it's not going to change anything. However, it will be brought up. But, it's been decided between us already. I don't foresee any true problems.

I can't lie, I am so ridiculously excited about buying toys. My favourite part of having ferrets is buying toys. WEEEEE, fun for everyone really hahaha.

My Polyvore
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

So excited for you! Please post TONS of pictures! I'm not a ferret owner, but have been obsessed since I was a little girl, and met my first ferret. I've always wanted one, but my parent's won't allow it, so I'm unable to get one until I have my own place. I hope to own several someday lol!

Good luck, you'll get tons of good advice here. Go to the "Cats and other pets" section and read the sticky by Jess called "So you think you want a ferret". It was really informative for me.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

^^that! Sorry, I'm being short cause I'm at work.. On my iPod... Not supposed to have Internet

Also, unrelated -- 3 SLEEPS TIL WIDGET IS HOME!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I'm also looking into building my own cage.

My Polyvore
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I just looked on your kijiji and wow, there is nothing

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Ferret Keeper

did I hear ferrets? Im down to 2 now of 7. I have had 17 over the last 12 years ( i rescued in holland) they can have the same life span as a dog though Im not sure that applies to marshall ferrets, as they seem to have mor issues. My oldest girl was almost 11 when she passed.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lossalfling View Post
did I hear ferrets? Im down to 2 now of 7. I have had 17 over the last 12 years ( i rescued in holland) they can have the same life span as a dog though Im not sure that applies to marshall ferrets, as they seem to have mor issues. My oldest girl was almost 11 when she passed.
Unfortunately, ferrets sold in Canada are all mill ferrets, and don't live nearly as long as they do in the UK. Usually 5-7 years, if your ferret hits 5 without any health issues, you're REALLY lucky. Even with his insulinoma, Rascal was considered a healthy ferret up until 3 days before he died at 7 1/2 years old