Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how that works...can you get a pic of it on a dog?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how that works...can you get a pic of it on a dog?
Sure! Here's a little tutorial, I'm sorry it's confusing. I had to do it a few times - and watch Steve Guitron do it a few times - before I understood it!

1. Start at the "small" loop in the lead. Put one end of the chain through the small loop, like so:

2. Next, put the "large" loop in the lead through the same chain ring you just fed through the "small" loop:

3. Pull the "large" loop all the way through the chain ring until the other chain ring is almost to the "small" loop:

... and viola! A cleaner, neater looking show collar/lead combo!

Next, put the show lead on the dog you promised would never have to show again, and that his life would Schutzhund/IPO from here on out. Laugh as he looks confused, then a little torqued off, then sad. Go ahead, laugh at him.

Kaylee does not approve of your taunting of the red dog.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

Awesome, thank you! Makes perfect sense now

And pictures of your dogs never hurt either
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Lord Cynical

For reference, here is my plain kangaroo lead from Braid A Roo... note the pretty black chain.

Annnd... my fancy lead from Braid A Roo. Honestly, I hardly ever use it. I mostly use it on puppies because it's lightweight and a little bit ridiculous... just like them.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Whippet Good!

www.dogtireddesigns.com

That is where I got my last one for Spencer.

Sprouts came from Star Utter (Stars fancy leads, dont have the link) I love her paracord less if you want parachutes.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Lord Cynical

Forgot to mention re: kangaroo leather... If you don't want sore hands (especially with a large dog) make sure the strands have been beveled.

My lead is beveled... the lead in the photo for comparison is not. See the difference?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

I use a snake chain for LoLa and a nice WhitePine leather lead, attached to the collar the same way that SizzleDog does. Her lead is black and her chain is silver.

Judge has a silver jewlers link chain(I haven't seen the black!, He needs that!) with a White Pine lead threaded the same way through it.

I buy my show stuff from 3C's. I like them and I can order it and pick it up at the show!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I think the bright, glitzy, heavily beaded leads overshadow the dog and are a bit, erm... I don't know. Showboaty. Like the dog needs beads and fancy colors to be noticed. One of my leashes does have subtle beadwork, but honestly I'm too embarrassed to use it except on silly puppies in non-licensed UKC classes. I try very hard to be respectful to the judges, which to me also means not presenting my dogs on leashes that fight for the judges' attention.

In AKC, the judge sees very little of your dog. I believe the suggested time limit is 2 minutes, and usually you don't even get that. Don't waste precious seconds on the judge glancing at your flashy lead. And in UKC, most judges I've shown to do not like "showboating" in any form... so again, out come the plain leather show leads.
You really think having a colored lead is disrespectful to the judges? Sorry I want to have a little fun in the conformation world with a lead that I think is pretty! It's not like I'm putting flashing lasers all over my dog. He doesn't *need* a fancy lead to be noticed (he has quite a bit of flash all on his own), but *I* like it, so I use it.
What about the handlers that come out in brightly colored suits, or silly hats, etc.? I'd say those are a lot more distracting than a thin 3' lead!

FWIW, I've had numerous judges tell me they liked my lead, and that it was tastefully done.. UKC & AKC.. so.. yeah.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
If you do decide to make your own, you'll want a core for strength. My friend used paracord, but that does add a bit more width than some people like. HTH!
I've made my own show leads before, and don't really use them because I found they cut up my hands, it's cheap craft cord, strong but not soft! Paracord is a much nicer material to use.

Quote:
Here's my take on show leads and collars.

#1 - NO snap. The leash should be securely attached to the collar. Snaps break, but more importantly snaps easily come loose if you're fumbling around with the collar, which you will do a lot in the conformation ring. I can't tell you how many dog fights and/or escapes I've seen because of a slipped snap.
This! I'll echo this, I've not used a snap lead before, because I saw to many of them break while watching shows, so I always go snap free with show leads. Related note, I have had the welded bit you press down on, on a regular trigger snap off on a leash before, it was Jinjo's leash, had to wedge my finger nail in it to get it off his collar.

Quote:
#2 - I use a jeweler's link chain collar. Those snake chains look nice, but break easily and pull out hair. They are available at shows - they are just tiny little chains. If you don't want to use a metal chain, just go the standard nylon show collar route.
I have yet to have one break, but I have had one get a "hitch" in it (it's actually too big for her, why I have two of them, so it tangled). I like them better for her because ALL other forms of collars slide down her neck to easy and then you loose control of her, the hex does not slide out of place until you position it to. And I have not had it damage the fur on her neck. Just my experience.

Quote:
*deep breath*

And just a bit of a soapbox speech... keep in mind I've had very old, traditional mentors that have been showing/finishing/specialing one of the most cutthroat and competitive AKC breeds for decades, so take what I say next with a grain of salt.

This fad of "glitzing up" show leads annoys me.

Show equipment needs to not overshadow the dog - you want the judge looking at the dog, not the collar and leash! So it should always be a color that blends in nicely. I think the bright, glitzy, heavily beaded leads overshadow the dog and are a bit, erm... I don't know. Showboaty. Like the dog needs beads and fancy colors to be noticed. One of my leashes does have subtle beadwork, but honestly I'm too embarrassed to use it except on silly puppies in non-licensed UKC classes. I try very hard to be respectful to the judges, which to me also means not presenting my dogs on leashes that fight for the judges' attention.

In AKC, the judge sees very little of your dog. I believe the suggested time limit is 2 minutes, and usually you don't even get that. Don't waste precious seconds on the judge glancing at your flashy lead. And in UKC, most judges I've shown to do not like "showboating" in any form... so again, out come the plain leather show leads.
I personally don't like a lot of "bling" either, but I don't like all the beading because I find it to hard to lump them up in my hand. We've been taught in our handling class to always have any extra lead neatly tucked into your hand, not sure if beads serve any other purpose than being an eye catch.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 AM
*Now with Snark*

Toy leads are so boring compared to these. Most of them are very light cord with some fishing tackle swivels. LOL