Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Show Lead/Collar

Any recommendations? It's been ages since I stepped foot in a show ring and even then it was for my boss and UKC.

I have talked about it several times and I think I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet and try my hand at showing Sloan. It will be mostly just for kicks and experience. I realize she's too thin for the show ring and she has, well, non-Stannis (Stafinois' new puppy) ears. lol But hey!

Anyways, I don't think I have any nice, thing collars. I think I have a few thin show leather leads but they're very old (like, 14 years) and I'm not positive where they are.

So I'd love to know where you buy your gear and what you buy.

What would look best for Sloan?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I know a lot of my customers just use show leads from Mendota.
http://www.mendotaproducts.com/show_accessories.html
They get the really thin ones (even the customer that shows her Dogos), but that's all I really know. Keep in mind that I have no actual experience with showing a dog. I just know that's what a lot of our customers come in and buy for their shows.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

I'm no pro, but what I found I like best for a collar are the hex-chains/snake-chains. Enda has two gold ones, sorry this picture is huge, Facebook doesn't have a resize feature:

As for lead, I've found most important, is to get one that fits neatly bundled into your hand (I have smaller hands), and make sure it feels soft in your hands, I've gotten a blister from a lead that was too rough in texture, but Enda is notorious for random flighty moment. The one I'm using in this picture, is actually an entire non-slip martingale lead in itself, that is why there is a second loop, but this single layer paracord is the best I could get for now that doesn't chafe my hands into blisters. I did order a really nice custom lead 2 years ago, but it was lost in shipping, someday I might try again.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

I tend to like a thin chain with a thin leather lead, preferably with a snap. Flat or braided doesn't matter much to me. Cherry has a fancy pink and black braided kangaroo lead that has held up real well but I don't know where it came from. I had a black and silver braided kangaroo lead as well that I loved but as it old old, a lot of the silver wore off of it and it got longer and longer. Jagger finally broke it at a very bad time! Now I have a flat very soft, thin leather lead, a thin black leather slip lead tied so it fits Whim without having any "choke" to it and a nylon cord lead. Some what you use depends on the dog too. Whim hates every thin "choke" leash or collar. I think it tickles her ear hair or something and it makes her shake her head a lot. Not exactly what you want in the ring!

Now if you're going to show in UKC, a snap lead can be handy for the assisted animation.

And you don't really need a $50-100 leather leash to look nice in the ring. I have a nice nylon cord leash that looks and feels just as nice and I think it was $5 or something.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Thanks all, it's an AKC show and last years records show there was one mal in the show. Lol we'll see what happens... I'm going to try for at least 2 classes and maybe a private before the show. I'll look up the hex chain collars, those are very clean looking I think!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

I just use a nice, thin snake chain, and a fancy braided lead (which was like $30, a local woman makes them, she's great!) on Sako.. you can see it here:

It's not the comfiest lead by any means, and I get worried sometimes if he pulls that either it or the chain will break, but so far, so good!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That is beautiful!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

For now I just have a thin nylon collar/lad combo from one of the local pet stores. I think ultimately I'll get either a collar/lead combo from OnLead or a nice snake chain and a thin lead from somewhere. I had a snake chain but I have no idea where it went, and I think Logan's outgrown it by now anyway.

The one think I don't like about the leash thing I have now is that if a dog backs up, it loosens and the dog can escape. If you pull, it loosens and slips down. It's definitely workable, but not really all that convenient. It's also fairly long (4 feet) and with Logan being tall it's a lot of lead to gather up quickly. I think when I get a permanent leash I'll get 2 or 3 feet instead.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

LOL I've contemplated the same thing with Aeri! I need to get off my butt and try it, but the local KC's classes are on hold, so I'll have to go it alone.

I have a friend who hates how easily snake chains break, so I'm steering clear of those. I bought the materials for a custom kangaroo lead and am having it made to go either with a matching braided leather slip or a regular light weight show chain.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I bought the materials for a custom kangaroo lead and am having it made to go either with a matching braided leather slip or a regular light weight show chain.
Oooh where'd you buy the materials?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13