Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
But! But! Flashlights are highly technical pieces of medical equipment and using one proves the vet is Evil Incarnate!

hehe
I know, right? The REAL issue here is whether the vet used a flashlight or not. :/

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I know, right? The REAL issue here is whether the vet used a flashlight or not. :/
I was reading that thread and trying to figure out if it would have been ok to pick the bulldog up and hold it next to a lightbulb instead of using a high tech tool like a flashlight
Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
mutts

release the hounds-- I agree with you 100%
How can a person allow that animal go through so much pain and still be allowed to judge? He can't even judge when his own dog needs to go to the veterinarian. It's disgusting.
I've never particularly liked the idea of dog showing (especially the more prestigious shows) and now I've lost even more respect for the idea of showing.
It makes me glad that I have a mutt of unknown heritage rather then these sickly, monstrous looking animals being shown. I feel so bad for the animals. They have no choice in all of this.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
& the Muttly Crew

For the person who asked -- no I at least am not against showing per se. I do dislike how the current show system seems to reward and perpetuate extreme types. In terms of evaluating breeding stock on the "form" side of things I see more value in having a 3rd party breed savvy panel assess individuals for breed type/correct structure and designated some sort of pass/fail system with written critique of the dog's physical strengths/weaknesses. This system of picking a single dog from a group of good examples of the breed seems to distort some people's perception of reality. This is of course not true for all breeds or all breeders within any breed but it's still far too prevalent.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
And the funny thing is that the exhibitors (and everyone else) were told prior to the event that certain eye conditions would be on the list of things checked. To check for those eye conditions requires adequate light. Insufficient ambient light was available to check for the promised conditions so auxillary light was supllied so they could do as promised. It's not like they used it to check things not on the list, like verifying useful dentition, so far as I know.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I was reading that thread and trying to figure out if it would have been ok to pick the bulldog up and hold it next to a lightbulb instead of using a high tech tool like a flashlight
I was thisclose to saying something almost exactly like this, but I abandoned the thread instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
And the funny thing is that the exhibitors (and everyone else) were told prior to the event that certain eye conditions would be on the list of things checked. To check for those eye conditions requires adequate light. Insufficient ambient light was available to check for the promised conditions so auxillary light was supllied so they could do as promised. It's not like they used it to check things not on the list, like verifying useful dentition, so far as I know.
BUT IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES! Or... possibly not. :/

Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
So is everyone on this thread kind of anti-dog showing?? Just curious. What exactly happened to that mastiff in the picture?? Forgive me for my ignorance....
Not anti-showing at all. I'm just anti-bad breeding! And against animal abusers judging dogs.

My Photos
Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
You see the same thing with other, smaller, show animals. The terrifying thing is that dogs are getting into the same range of crippling distortion that used to be the domain of the goldfish people and pigeon people.
I'm trying to imagine the people in the movie "Best in Show" with, instead of dogs, goldfish. *snort*

Yeah, I never even know that there's a whole Goldfish Conformation Show world.

Quote:
So is everyone on this thread kind of anti-dog showing?? Just curious.
No, in fact many of us show (or plan to show) our own dogs. Just, we have healthy dogs, and keeping our breeds healthy is more important than getting show titles.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
So is everyone on this thread kind of anti-dog showing?? Just curious. What exactly happened to that mastiff in the picture?? Forgive me for my ignorance....
No, not anti-show here, but I believe that if you are going to show and breed you should do it with the best interest of the animals that you are working with/for at heart. Sometimes people forget that winning is not the important part of showing.

That being said...it's like anything else...there is good and bad out there in the world of dogs. The thing is with some things we see more of the bad these days and we really need a change for the good

I have been following this thread with great interest...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I want to go to crufts next year. Will see how the KC pans out over the next year... and I can't imagine they will keep the mastiff judge after the exposure gets out.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein