Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

Ivan admittedly gets to go and do more things. He enjoys going, Peewee does not enjoy the car rides. At home Peewee gets more privileges and or freedoms.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

No favorites here...

The differences that happen are based on their individual personalities, behavior, and preferences.

I love them both more than I can say. There are different things about each of them that makes me adore them...but I can not say that Menchi means more to me than Watson or that I enjoy Watson more than Menchi.

They also both have habits that annoy me...

Everyone has the same rights and priviledges

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Gambit is my favorite. There I said it. He does get more attention, more training time, and more of me.

That said, he needs more. When I play sharkie with him, he gets excited and plays back. He needs the remedial socializing, the training, and the special love.

Argon doesn't need those things, nor do I really think he desires them. I love the Whippitus with all my heart, but he really would be better suited to a different home and a different owner. While Gambit needs me to do things with him every day, Argon is happiest to just chill 99 days out of 100. The sole exception is when we go downtown, something Gambit is just not capable of doing. Then it's Argon's time to shine (and try and kill pigeons).

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Well, I only have one, so obviously he's my favorite. But I honestly think he always will be, even when I add another dog. He's mah boy.<33 Like, I don't think I'd feel bad about leaving new puppy at home and taking Jackson, but I probably wouldn't often take new puppy and leave Jackson. Things of that nature.

In regards to being in the house, though, I don't think they'd be treated much differently. I plan on having my future second dog in my bed too (unless it was a larger hairier breed, I MAY make a consideration of not doing it). Both would be allowed on the furniture. Both would probably get to do the same amount of stuff in regards to training, walking, exercising, etc. Those type of things.

With new puppy, I'd also probably get them acquainted with things like doggy daycare, and leaving me more often, and things of the sort. With Jackson, I don't think I'd ever be able to leave him at a daycare or boarding place. He's just not that kind of dog. He's sooo attached to me and I love it but with a new dog, I don't think I'd have an issue bringing new pup to daycare if I go away, and having Jackson stay with my dad per usual. Stuff like that.

So I think Jackson, being the first and all, will always be #1 and hold a special place in my heart, but of course I'd love a second just as much but I think just in a different way.

Brit & Jackson

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I don't say I have a favorite, but the dogs do get different privlages based on their behavior and manners.
^that. At home the rules are generally the same, but who gets to go out and about with me depends on the activity.

Z goes places I just need an easy dog because she's so good. Kes goes to places where I can focus a bit more on training but still need to be able to be distracted without my dog getting into trouble. Aeri is almost at Kes' level but I have to be a bit more thoughtful about how long we're out for because otherwise her brain fries and I have a overaroused malinois to deal with. Snipe can only go out for training "walks" because I have to focus on her 100% of the time or else she's into trouble *and* we're working on a car chasing issue currently so I have to be available to head that off.

At home, if all four are out they all have the same rules, but Snipe is out less because 1. omg her in heat = super messy and 2. she is still learning how to settle and in the meantime the constant busy-ness can drive me nuts.

Ziva is crated at night because she sometimes has accidents while deeply sleeping. Snipe is also crated, but in a different room because as a young dog she needed out sooner than the other dogs and being crated separately let DH do that while I was still in bed. We'll be moving her crate into our bedroom soon though.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Um... I know I am guilty of playing favorites with the pets. For instance, Ticheli. As much as that cat p*sses me off, he really does have me wrapped around his little paw. I tend to do more with him than I do Whitacre. Nothing against Whitty, he's a perfectly good cat (most of the time). It's just that Ticheli engages me more.

That said, I do my best to spread it around. It's not like any other animals are neglected at all just because I tend to prefer the company of one of them slightly more.

So, to answer your question, I don't think favorites is necessarily wrong. Also, in your case, you clearly know the limitations and preferences of each of your dogs, and that definitely is a huge factor in what all you do with each of them. Personally, I think you are being perfectly fair in your assessment of what each one likes and can handle.

As for the question of whether the animals notice? Maybe. Do they care? I dunno.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
MyHorseMyRules

For the most part, any extra privileges the dogs get are based on their personalities and behavior.

But I'll admit I let Boone get away with more than the girls. It's not that he's a favorite. If I really HAD to pick a favorite, I'd go with Tempie. She's my heart dog. But Boone's the baby. And the boy. So I've got a soft spot where he's concerned.

ETA: I don't think the girls notice that I let him get away with more. I DO know Boone notices when Tempie goes on a search with me, and he has to stay at home since he's not certified yet. So I try to take him to the store and whatnot with me to kind of even things out. Raja, on the other hand, couldn't care less. Sometimes she acts like she's happy to see me when I've been gone a while. Other times, I barely get a nod of acknowledgement in passing. lol So I think she either doesn't notice or just doesn't care.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Just try me..

Um ya lol..

Dekka is my fave, no surprise there. AND she gets loads of extra attention etc. I haven't noticed the other dogs caring much. Except Seren. Seren will sit and stare and stare if Dekka is on me. She won't sleep or settle, just stare like a creepy yet adorable stuffed toy.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Big Dog

Currently I only have 1 dog so he's favorite by default LOL But he has always been favored more. I had 3 huskies, a GSD X, & a shepherd/husky mix. I loved all of them just the same, but Lugar has had the best personality by far. The 3 huskies were just interested in being out and running.... that's about all they cared for LOL Kelso, my GSD X was a very smart and well behaved dog but he was not as friendly and outgoing. He was leery/uninterested around people & was very dominant towards other dogs (strange dogs that is). Willah, my husky/GSD X was not a social dog. If she was at home, and knew who you were she was just a big jelly bean and would greet you with SOMETHING in her mouth, whether it was a toy or piece of paper. But being out, she was nervous & her reaction when people would come up to pet her was very touchy. She would rather not be touched. Weird thing was that she was socialized like crazy as a puppy, but preferred to be home and only with her people.

Lugar loves everyone and everything. He loves to play, he rides great in the car, he's a fun dog to train, he LOVES to be with me and the hubby. I love every single one of his qualities and being able to completely trust him.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I give about the same amount of attention to both. If I train one, then I train the other as well. Or I train them together. I like my two a LOT as a pair. They work well together and balance each other out. They are so wonderful and easy. For most things it is the three of us. Rally classes, I take both. I'm very lucky in that I have two really great dogs who want to work with me and want to participate in everything. They're both amazing.

Agility is a Mia only thing because she's young and active and Summer's getting old and a little stiff. She still would love to go and I feel badly about it. So I give her lots of stuffed kong goodness and extra treats. Then I train her when I get home because I feel bad. Summer definitely gets upset when Mia gets to go and she doesn't.

Mia is my favorite though. I love Summer, she is so reliable. But Mia is just the dog that is my everything, I truly knew nothing about how awesome a dog/owner bond could be before her. THAT said, Summer is much much better than Mia and as such Mia also is less trustworthy so Summer does get her perks. I do not let Mia get away with more because she's the kind of dog you do have to stay on top of at all times.