Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Is It Wrong...

To play favorites? Steven has pointed out that I allow far more from Knox than I do Ozzy and Enzo. And I realized its true, but do they really care/know? Or is it just a human thing to recognize fairness?

Knox is starting to be allowed to sleep in the bedroom at night, with permission of course, but he sleeps on my side of the bed at the foot on the floor and doesn't move all night. Ozzy and Enzo have been banished because they sneak on the bed when we fall asleep and that bugs me to have them tracking dirt onto my clean bed.

And then Knox gets to go to work with me every day. Because he enjoys it. Enzo came with me for nearly a year but by the end of it was such a huge stress ball about me leaving her in a yard that she would just scream. So she stopped coming, and even though sometimes she will ask to come with me, I know from experience that she's not going to enjoy herself. Even if I'm going to see clients she can't handle me leaving for any length f time or being crated and me leaving.

Ozzy cannot come to work with me because he's extremely aggressive sometimes and that is not the environment to put him in.

Steven says that this isn't fair to Ozzy and Enzo and that I'm playing favorites. I feel like, yeah I guess I am, but Ozzy and Enzo have each other as well as Steven and I. Knox only has me and Steven because Ozzy and Enzo ignore him.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I definitely played favourites with the ferrets... Rascal was everybody's favourite. It's just how it was, so he got to come out first, he got more treats, and he got baby food cuddle time.

Now Harley is the favourite, because she will cuddle with you and love you, while renegade doesn't care about you and just wants to run -- so he bites you. I can tell Renegade knows he's being cheated, he's so frikkin jealous lately and god forbid I take Harley alone anywhere. That's what he gets for being a jerk

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Twin 2

Traveler is the favorite. I know, you all are so surprised.

With Kaylee its because she is everything I don't like or want in a dog so its hard to include her sometimes because she doesn't like most things other than food, isn't reliable off leash, is nervy around people and isn't built well. On top of all that working work her frustrates me. So yeah, Traveler is so much more well behaved, trust worthy and fun to work with.

Though I really do try to make sure Kaylee gets extra one on one attention because she misses out on a lot.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Blue_Dog

Sam is the only dog in the house, but boy does he get jealous if he thinks he should be the one getting attention and another pet is. Even with the hamsters. He just suddenly has to show off or push me away from what I'm doing, once he gets a good pet he'll back off for a bit. He doesn't do it all of the time, but when he does you know.

The cats sometimes get jealous and my rats would as well when I had them.

I try not to play favourites because they sure seem to get what is going on.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

It's funny, one thing that bugged me before adding a second dog was the fear that I would feel so guilty about doing stuff with a new dog and leaving Solo behind.

I got over that fast. Panzer is totally my favorite and I do everything with her. I train her all the time, take her out more often, and feed her better food. However, when she was a pup, she slept in her crate in the living room (now in a crate in the bedroom) and Solo always gets to sleep loose and often in bed.

Dogs adjust to new circumstances quickly, and I don't think they compare their reality and set of rules to other dog's.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Elsie's life is better than Zobby's. He's not my dog, but her life is awesome in comparison. She goes more places, is included in my family's trips and outings, gets more treats and training time, goes on more hikes and walks... But part of that is that I have a car and my boyfriend doesn't, and that Elsie is a lot more demanding than Zobby is(5 year old peke mix vs. 17 month old Terv, lol).

She also has more toys and blankets than he does.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Linds, I totally thought kaylee was the favorite!

But yeah, Knox goes everywhere, gets more training time, one on one time, with me than the other two. I've basically given up on doing anything outside of happy home life and some hiking with the other two because they both have issues once they get outside of the front doors. Knox doesn't. He isn't reactive, aggressive, squirrelly, ect

Plus a few other things, and yeah Knox goes just about everywhere with me.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche is my favorite and gets away with FAR more than Logan does. But Logan gets more training time with me since he requires it.

It's pretty clear to anyone that knows me that Gavroche is my favorite, and EVERYONE'S favorite lol. But he's my heart dog, I can't help it
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Hmmm... I think I'm pretty good about giving equal love and attention. I'll have to ask Jon when he gets home, I think he'd notice it more than I do. Bobsie is the only one who sleeps on the bed, though. Doom would be allowed to if he WANTED to, but he likes to patrol the perimeters at night so he stays on the floor. Piglet had an issue that everyone already knows about when she first got here so she sleeps on a makeshift dog bed right now... Fixing to turn it into a REAL dog bed if I can get off of my butt. LOL

Other than that, we all train at the same time, if I give one yum yums, I give them all yum yums (I hand them out based on who does what I asked first. IE if I say "sit" and Bobsie sits first, then Doom and then Piglet, Bobsie gets one, then Doom gets one and then Piglet gets one, I've yet to have anybody sit at the same time. LOL!)
If we go somewhere, other than the vet, everyone goes, if we're playing in the yard, everyone gets to come out and play (except Bobsie, Bobsie is far to dignified to play. She just lays in the sun.)
They all have to work for their food, and they all get fed at the same time.
Nobody gets away with bad behavior here, NOBODY.

Having typed all this out, I think I may possibly be completely insane. LOL!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

I spend WAY WAY more time with Keegan than I do with Luna. I tell myself it's because he's younger and needs more work/attention, but secretly I do actually like him better, LOL. He's more fun to train, he's more fun to play with, he likes doing the things I like doing.... and also I like the way people look at me when I have him versus the way they look at me when I have Luna, if that makes sense.

I actually really need to do something fun with Luna this weekend, she's starting to get mopey.