Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
He doesn't knock bars really at all now that he's not over threshold
I would continue handling softly as you are, a bit more confidence would be good but you certainly don't need to amp him up. Once he learns to control the crazy you can start speeding up and asking for that speed again (you will have to proof this for trials). Right now it's about teaching control and handler cues. You guys are on the right track.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
It sounds like you maybe haven't done a lot of foundation work with him? It's never too late to start
Total agree! I have to admit that I never like the option of slowing down the dog to match the handler in agility. Granted, I don't know Steve, but I think that it is possible to have him crazy and concentrating at the same time, it would just take a lot of foundation work and slow slow slow building up to sequences. For example, I would train your contact behaviour further to proof for your movement so that you can run while he performs it.

For the jumping, I love Susan Salo jump grids, and what about one jump work at home to train control at the start line?

I definitely don't want you to feel like we're jumping on you, I'm just throwing ideas out there because I personally like fast agility, especially when the dog has insane potential. I am desperately hoping that my Mal turns out to have Steve speed.

Again, great videos and I hope you keep on sharing, I want to watch his (and your) progress!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I would continue handling softly as you are, a bit more confidence would be good but you certainly don't need to amp him up. Once he learns to control the crazy you can start speeding up and asking for that speed again (you will have to proof this for trials). Right now it's about teaching control and handler cues. You guys are on the right track.
Just goes to show that there are multiple ways to go about training things.

ETA: The only thing that worries me about this approach is having seen dogs that permanently slow down and get used to checking back with the handler too much. However, if you're happy with his performance and having fun, then who am I to say?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Just try me..

I dont' like slowing down a dog. But to me in those vids it doesn't look like Elegy is slowing him down, just not amping him up. To me there is a difference. He doesn't look like he will have any issues pouring on the speed when she gets more confident and he has more skills.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
overdogged

Really of all the things I'm worried about right now, speed isn't one of them
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Really of all the things I'm worried about right now, speed isn't one of them
That's cool. Where is Steve from? As I'm getting back into agility, my love of BCs is returning.....
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I definitely don't want you to feel like we're jumping on you, I'm just throwing ideas out there because I personally like fast agility, especially when the dog has insane potential.
Right now I feel like it doesn't matter how much potential steve has if I am a crappy clueless handler
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Right now I feel like it doesn't matter how much potential steve has if I am a crappy clueless handler
You'll learn. Really! Run with confidence and joy, and ALWAYS reward him for doing what you tell him (even if it's not what you intended to tell him!) and he will keep trusting you. And as long as he trusts you and loves the game, you have all the time in the world to finesse your communication skills If you get frustrated just walk away or practice dogless until you feel confident and positive, then try again

It'll be okay. And fun. I promise!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM
overdogged

Really I find it very infrequently fun so far. And to be honest, I wish I hadn't posted these. I'm not usually such a delicate flower but agility brings out all my insecurities and self-doubts and feeling like I am failing my dog and oh look here I am typing this and crying again. Sigh.
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You have to train yourself as well! Actually I'm so going to start doing this soon. I'll set sequences up to run them without a dog, just to practice my mechanics with crosses. It's been years since I've run a course, and I know that I'm super rusty right now.

When I lived in agility country, I attended seminars put on by world team competitors that were days of sprinting and fancy footwork drills.

Honestly, from the videos it looks like you guys have been doing agility for a lot longer than you have. Your handling is very nice and confidence will come with practice.